U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,408,859 times

Advertisements

Mike Jaquish’s recent pictures of the RBC Plaza in downtown Raleigh in a similar post inspired me to start a new thread about all of the downtown Raleigh condos currently under construction. I have just started taking a few pictures of some of the most recent projects and would like to revisit this thread in the future to post updates showing the progress of the construction for each. There are a lot of projects currently underway in downtown Raleigh so I encourage anybody with pictures of them to post them on this thread so we can all enjoy watching downtown Raleigh grow! Props to Mike Jaquish for his awesome pics of the RBC Plaza and the “Cranes over Raleigh” theme! I hope you don’t mind that I “borrowed” your idea!

WEST at NORTH
This new condo development is being built at the intersection of West and North St. in Downtown Raleigh. The website below has a neat little movie that includes computer animated renderings of what the completed building will look like. (Pictures Taken on October 12, 2007)
West at North

222 Glenwood
A mixed-use condominium project located on Glenwood South. (Pictures Taken on October 12, 2007)
222 Glenwood

RBC Plaza
A great picture of RBC Plaza taken by citi-data senior member Mike Jaquish (Picture Taken on October 11, 2007)
RBC Plaza Condominiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

The white brick building on the left is Clyde Cooper's Barbecue, where I ate today. Some kinda good!

Cranes over Raleigh - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikejaquish/sets/72157602373915055/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 06:19 PM

59 posts, read 134,908 times
Great idea for a thread! This website is called city-data.com but it seems like 90% of the posts in this forum are about suburban living. I look forward to keeping up with this thread. Every time I visit downtown, I get the feeling that something incredible is in the works and i get excited. I really want to be a part of it someday but affordability doesn't seem to be a priority right now.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 AM

327 posts, read 757,349 times
Thanks for the pics!! Very exciting to see the progress downtown. My wife and I had a great meal at J Betski's down in the Seaboard complex a couple weeks back and walked through Glenwood South to get cupcakes after that...Amazing how much that area's transforming. Have you seen the updated renderings for Site one yet down there? They look great in my opinion. I also saw something on the news where they're emphasizing families down there as well, which I think is going to be great along with the empty nesters and young professionals looking for a more urban lifestyle. I would love to get down there if I can find something affordable.

One last thing--not sure if you've seen the West Village II revitalization in Durham, but I think that's going to be outstanding once completed.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 PM

The Quorum
The Residences at Quorum Center :: Property Overview

This is a completed condo building in downtwon Raleigh located at 323 W Jones St. I don't have a good exterior picture yet (but you can check out some at RaleighSkyline.com - Photography and Multimedia of Raleigh, North Carolina) but here is shot I did take this evening while visiting a friend who lives there. This picture was taken from the 7th floor terrace of the Quorum building facing southeast. You can see the Clarion Hotel on the far right and the Wachovia building is the last skyscraper on the left. You can catch a glimpse of the RBC Plaza construction just to the right of the Wachovia building!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Here is a great map showing the location of current and future downtown Raleigh condos. An amazing number of projects in the works!

Condos :: Downtown Raleigh, NC

Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM

30 posts, read 113,469 times
Thank you so much for starting a discussion about downtown on here! I love it down there. Not everyone that lives in or has moved to Raleigh wants to experience only suburb after suburb after strip mall after suburb! Not to knock folks that live out there, but some folks love the quality of life but want to enjoy a bit more urban experience!!!

I think all the stuff happening down there is great. It's not the height I care about . . . it's the density, the energy, the variety. It's nice to be able to walk to bars and restaurants . . . to not have to get in your car to drive to lunch . . . to get drinks at a bar and walk home. I hope that more jobs come downtown so that people can live closer to where they work. keep it comin!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 PM

173 posts, read 857,134 times
Default Great Post!

This is great! I love the downtown area theme.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM

173 posts, read 857,134 times
Many transplants are moving from bigger cities to get away from the hustle and bustle of big city life. Once people arrive here in North Carolina (assuming they choose Raleigh) they fall in love with the slower pace of life and ultimately decide on how they can incorporate big city living in a smaller city.

THE ANSWER IS DOWNTOWN CONDO’S.

Facts about downtown Raleigh:

• 668 Condo’s are being built with 1291 in the planning stages.

• 10,000 people currently live downtown

• Downtown is approximately 1.1 square mile

• Downtown is one of two major cities that were designed and built from the ground up.

• Currently residents of downtown's population are: single/single parents/newlywed's and empty nesters.

Why are people moving downtown?

• Transit: Commuting alternative. Why should one have to drive to every destination?

• Healthier Lifestyle.

• Having the city as your “living room”---turning the TV off and walking to a neighborhood restaurant, coffee shop or museum for entertainment.

• Reducing Physical Possessions: This allows you to take that month long trip to Spain and not worrying about mail, grass, etc.

• Reducing "household" responsibilities. Downtown condo’s are smaller (which means less housework) and offer more amenities.

• The best schools are located downtown.

Over the next 5 years downtown Raleigh will own 21 “new” condos. The prices will range from 150k-1 million. The new RBC PLAZA will hold 15 levels of office space on the bottom floors and have an additional 8 or so condo’s on the higher floors. THESE CONDO’S WERE SOLD IN ONE DAY.
Amazing!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Update: West at North

WEST at NORTH

Before
(Pictures Taken on October 12, 2007)

After
(Pictures Taken August 6, 2008)

West at North

Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Default Update: 222 Glenwood

222 Glenwood

Before
(Pictures Taken on October 12, 2007)

After
(Picture Taken on July 18, 2008)

222 Glenwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary