Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What, no wiener dogs in Cary?
haha I have to say it's not often I see one around here! Which was surprising to me at first because when I lived in Japan they were easily the most popular dog outside of the native breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM

99 posts, read 307,286 times
I have noticed, via Instagram, that dachshunds are very popular in Japan. There was a doxie meetup in Durham last month and it was a ton of fun (even if another dog did try to bite my dog).

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
I think the "demographic" of dog breeds in this area will pretty much be a subset of whatever the national trends are.

In regards to doing due diligence and training dogs, I know from personal experience that sometimes it doesn't matter how much training and socialization you work on with a dog, some are just born with a tendency to be aggressive/fearful. I had an AKC English Mastiff, which is supposed to be an aloof and somewhat lazy breed. Our big boy was unpredictable and fearful when friends or strangers came over to the house. We spent thousands on puppy daycare, taking him all over the place to socialize him and even did agility training with positive reinforcement techniques. Around the house, he was perfect, even with our young kids, but it really added a lot of stress when there were visitors, we usually had to crate him if anyone came over. He got lymphoma about 3 years ago, so is no longer with us.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
I spend a lot of time at different neighborhoods in Cary. Lots of Labs, Goldens as well as plenty of mutts and small dogs of various breeds.

I have a lot of experience with dogs (GSD. wolf hybrids and many others) and must admit that Pit Bull aggression has always been an issue with me. I've heard of and seen many bad things happen. A few years ago I was able to spend a lot of time with one that was well trained, sweet and acted like a lap dog. He just about changed my mind-----until out of the blue he bit a lady 16 times and put her in the hospital. We put him down. NO AMOUNT OF TRAINING can change the dogs genetics!!!! There are crazy dogs just like there are crazy people!!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I spend a lot of time at different neighborhoods in Cary. Lots of Labs, Goldens as well as plenty of mutts and small dogs of various breeds.

I have a lot of experience with dogs (GSD. wolf hybrids and many others) and must admit that Pit Bull aggression has always been an issue with me. I've heard of and seen many bad things happen. A few years ago I was able to spend a lot of time with one that was well trained, sweet and acted like a lap dog. He just about changed my mind-----until out of the blue he bit a lady 16 times and put her in the hospital. We put him down. NO AMOUNT OF TRAINING can change the dogs genetics!!!! There are crazy dogs just like there are crazy people!!!!
NOT WORTH THE RISK, in my opinion.

When I was 3 years old and my brother was 6 years old, my mom and dad had a boxer. They had that dog since he was a puppy and before my brother or I were born.

My mom was giving me a bath and stood up to get a towel. The boxer laid down beside the tub and started growling at my mom. Since this was a dog that mom had since it was a puppy and had not done anything like this before, my mom approached the dog, telling it to get out of the bathroom. The dog then tried to bite my mom.

The boxer refused to move, continued to growl and my mom had to call my dad to come home so she could get me out of the tub. They got rid of the dog that day.

Maybe ANY dog can turn on you BUT I'd rather have a Sheltie turn on me than a boxer or a pit bull!

After that, my parents raised poodles!

My brother, years later, got a doberman puppy, decided he didn't want it and left it at my parents' house. My parents kept it along with the poodle puppies. Dumb doberman thought it was a poodle and would jump into your lap as soon as you sat down.

I never trusted that dog and when I came home for a visit, my parents always made sure that dog was in a different room. I think he sensed I didn't like him and my parents didn't 100% trust him.

Vicki

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Labs and Golden Retrievers.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Beagles are the best dogs on earth....

and pit bulls are typically just poorly raised. It is a status thing to have a mean badass pit in many neighborhoods. Go to your local pound and about half the dogs are pits that have been mistreated and abandoned. People without the stability needed to raise a good dog often get them and eventually ditch them. Its sad.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Rescue groups often do a great job of training and socializing misbehaving dogs. Vicki, your daughter may want to call some. Most have wonderful volunteers who foster dogs until they are ready to be placed.

Our daughter adopted a pit bull mix from the Durham shelter. I was against it. Surely there were other breeds available. But this is the one she fell in love with. She is a cuddle bug, loves to play, in two years has never shown a bit of aggression.

Other daughter adopted a dachshund who apparently will never be completely house trained. This is her second dachshund and both would wet willy nilly. Is this a characteristic of the breed?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:12 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Other daughter adopted a dachshund who apparently will never be completely house trained. This is her second dachshund and both would wet willy nilly. Is this a characteristic of the breed?
I've read that dachshund's are hard to train. However, I've had mine for 3 years now. He was easy for me to housebreak, never has accidents, and is the best dog I've ever owned.

Last edited by escapenc; 11-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I have heard that doxies can be difficult to housetrain.

As for pit bulls, I think it is both the breeding (not the breed) and the training. Aggression can certainly be bred into a line of dogs. Check out this National Geographic article on the domestication of animals. Basically, it doesn't take very many generations to breed a line of very friendly animals and conversely it doesn't take long to breed a line of aggressive animals. I have met some really sweet, gentle pit bulls, and I have met some aggressive shelties.

As far as the most common dog in Cary, I'm not sure, but I've been seeing a lot of hound mixes in my Chapel Hill neighborhood recently. Used to see a lot of Border Collies and Border Collie mixes, but not so much lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary