Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:11 AM

210 posts, read 747,931 times

Advertisements

I don't think this has been done before, but may be really helpful to new buyers. What would one expect to see in a house for the price range of 500-700 in Cary? (I will also start a post on the 3-5 and 7-9 range as well.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 11:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,807,705 times
500 to 700 gives you a lot of options in Cary.

Resales in MacGregor Downs/Macgregor West, Lochmere, Preston-some may need updating.

OR

Larger (say 3500 SF and up) new construction by the "better" tract builders in West Cary: e.g. John Wieland @ Southbridge, Toll Brothers, Orleans. If you need a big house these are the builders for you. John Wieland is IMO the best builder of the three I think Orleans has the best portfolio of floorplans.

OR

Custom Homes by local builders in quite a few new developments.

In terms of the house-In the 500s you can expect to be in at least 28-2900 square feet in a custom builder home with amenities such as-
Site Finished hardwoods
"Better" appliances (think GE Profile Stainless-not quite Sub-Zero/Wolf @ $500K)
Good quality carpeting, cabinetry, granite
Substantial moldings/trim details/iron balusters

You won't see real big lot sizes. Either side of .25 acre is about the standard until you get up above $700k. In "new urbanist" developments like Amberly the lots are even smaller. The older resale stuff will offer larger lots in exchange for a home that is likely 10-15 years old and looks it (think bright brass, wallpaper, white kitchens).

5 years ago the $500K mark was a pretty substantial watermark above which you were buying a very impressive home in Cary. These days $500k just doesn't go as far-you can get a big nice tract home or a smaller nicer custom home on a smaller lot.

The other thing that has happened is that while the Custom Builders have raised prices and kept quality/materials largely the same, the Tract Builders have "decontented" to maintain pricing. Things that were standard are now optional, they are using lesser grade materials (things like vinyl siding where hardiplank used to be), and they have streamlined options and are less flexible than they used to be.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
Default Funny Chicken speaks the truth

I just read this string....Funny Chicken knows his/her stuff.

We're in the market for a home in this price range in the Cary, Apex, Holly Springs area. I agree totally whith the comments.

Pray for us...its still a sellers market, and we're buyers!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Pea

6 posts, read 43,229 times
Any custom builders in this area you would recommend? I am looking for homes in this price range, my hubby will not tolerate upfitting projects, but I can't stand production built homes....

Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM

210 posts, read 747,931 times
There are a couple threads started already about builders. Click on search at the top of your page. You will find what's been written so far. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary