U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 18,304 times
Unhappy Speeding Ticket Question - Wake County

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed many times over. I've been reading the threads.

Last night driving back to Raleigh from New Jersey for the holiday, I got a speeding ticket 3 miles from my house on Capital Blvd. The irony of driving 446 miles and THEN getting a ticket. I had been trying to drive conservatively but honestly I probably lost my focus after eleven hours (including 3 hours in gridlocked traffic)

Anyway the officer told me I was doing 60 in a 45. I apologized and explained that I really hadn't seen the sign where the speed limit dropped from 55 to 45. Anyhoo, I have a $218 ticket now.

I don't really see a lot of info on the actual numbers. Can anyone answer these questions?

- I've been reading about the prayer for judgment idea. My understanding is that I'd still have to pay court costs ($188 - the fine itself is only $30), is that correct???

- My license is out of state (Pennsylvania - just moved to Raleigh). I will be getting an NC license next week and I already have NC insurance. Will I be assessed points? The incident happened *in* Wake County

- If I go to court and am able to negotiate a reduction to 9mph over, how much of a fine would I have to pay and how many licence points would they assess?

Thanks!
Leia
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM

3,517 posts, read 3,149,607 times
If you get it dropped to 9over you'll still have to pay court costs. It's much more difficult now because the will not do improper equipment in Wake Co any more.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks, Sheriff. So what I'm getting at is - no matter what I do I'm stuck paying roughly 200 dollars, right? Negotiating it down is just about avoiding a hike in insurance rates?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,310,323 times
If they let you plead it down to 9mph over, that is your best bet. Either way it's going to cost you money. Don't let it go against your insurance as a 15 over ticket though. Either hire a lawyer (well worth the money most of the time) or take your chances and plead it down with the DA before court the morning of your court date.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM

7,548 posts, read 9,991,948 times
Not sure if Wake is different, but my wife had a speeding ticket in Lee County last summer. The lawyer was worth the $300. In Lee County that covered all court costs and lawyer fees.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM

312 posts, read 372,964 times
Just wait a week or so, you will get flooded with advertisements. Find a good deal and let the lawyer handle it and you will not even have to waste time in court. Well worth the $300 or so it will probably cost you. This will include court costs and everything.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM

117 posts, read 153,163 times
Wake County does not give non moving violations. Your options will be to plead to a 9 over or get a PJC. Either one can usually be done without a lawyer. You are allowed one 9 over per driver without impacting your insurance points and you are allowed one PJC PER HOUSEHOLD without impacting your insurance. This is for NC. You may want to review your driving record in PA in the last three years and talk with an attorney (and possibly your insurance agent) if you need further advice

Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks - I'm honestly thinking of going the lawyer route but I have a friend in PA who has gotten tickets reversed by going to court and weeping so perhaps I should try that instead ^_^

Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM

My PA driving record - I have one speeding ticket there that happened 2.5 years ago. I paid that one no contest because it happened in the middle of nowhere on the turnpike. I would have had to drive 4 hours to get to court. The 3 points have fallen off my license since then. I've been so careful since then so it was a total shock to see those flashing lights last night. I must have totally zoned out to miss the sign - eleven hours on the road sucks.

Apart from that, no moving violations.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM

8,907 posts, read 9,991,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitot View Post
Thanks - I'm honestly thinking of going the lawyer route but I have a friend in PA who has gotten tickets reversed by going to court and weeping so perhaps I should try that instead ^_^
I wouldn't count on that down here. Revenue generation thru speed enforcement is huge down here. If the cop wanted to be nice he would've just given you a break at the scene and written you up as less than 9 over right then and there....like they do elsewhere. Going to court and crying and still getting the fine and points on your license is REALLY going to make you cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary