Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Um...I AM home.

No one forced you to move. You CHOSE to be here. Go back and review the reasons you made that decision. If it has turned out to be a bad decision, do something about it. Put both feet in either place-straddling the two doesn't work.

Until you find a way to stop referring to the last place you lived before moving here as "home",
you don't have a shot at making it work here.

I am sorry if this makes anyone uncomfortable, but it's a fact.
F.C. - I agree with you to a point - but she did put "HOME" in quotes....I think it's more a space saving issue than anything rather than putting "how often do you get back to the place you moved here from" there's that pesky "don't end a sentence with a preposition" thing....(is "From" a preposition?)

Anyway - mich hasn't really complained too much about this area, and she was moved here on a job relocation.

So let's give her a pass and just answer the question at hand, knowing what she really meant.

(Ultimately I agree with you and never refer to NY as "home" mostly because I think it would be confusing and hard for my kids, who do consider NC "home").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
Ok-maybe a little heavy handed on my part (not shocking!)
I was being very general and not trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

I still think that everyone who relocates should really do their due diligence beforehand and arrive prepared to make every effort to build a life here any way they can.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
Quote:
Ok-maybe a little heavy handed on my part (not shocking!)
I was being very general and not trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

I still think that everyone who relocates should really do their due diligence beforehand and arrive prepared to make every effort to build a life here any way they can.
Hey, Funky Chicken,

I have to agree your other post was a bit heavy handed but you yourself have admitted to such and that's really cool.

This area is home to me but it certainly took me awhile before I felt that way. Even with most of my family having migrated down here I still missed the Jersey Shore terribly for quite awhile. It takes time, especially for those who don't have family here.

I understand your point and it does have some merit yet maybe we should give the OP a chance to adjust and acknowledge their feelings because it can be a huge adjustment.

I can understand where they are coming from and I can understand your position.

Regards,

second right

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Um...I AM home.

No one forced you to move. You CHOSE to be here. Go back and review the reasons you made that decision. If it has turned out to be a bad decision, do something about it. Put both feet in either place-straddling the two doesn't work.

Until you find a way to stop referring to the last place you lived before moving here as "home",

Maybe if you read my post more thoroughly, you wouldn't have responded so rudely.

1. I did not move here from Pennsylvania. I moved here from the DC area where I lived for 23 years. I was not asking about how often people travel to DC, my last home. I was asking how often people travel to their hometown in the NY/NJ/PA area since I know there are many transplants from those areas. I have lived away from "home" for 23 years. I am a big girl. I think I know how to make it work.

2. When I put quotes around something, I am meaning that it isn't really home, but it is home in that it is my hometown.

3. I am not straddling two places - especially Philly and the Triangle. I haven't lived in Philly since 1989.

4. I did not refer to the the last placed I lived as "home." The last place I lived was DC (NoVA). Again, if you had read my post fully, you would know that.

5. Your post does not make me uncomfortable. Most people understood what I meant and answered me appropriately.

6. I never said anything about wanting to move back. I was asking about how often people VISIT.

7. As for why we moved here, my husband was transferred here from the DC area. I didn't seek this area out as a place to live, and I wasn't complaining about living here. Philly will always be my first home. I was born and raised there. Until 10 months ago, DC was my home for 23 years and where my kids were born. Assuming we stay here, this is and will be our home.

Last edited by michgc; 11-28-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM

121 posts, read 107,265 times
I moved here (Chapel Hill) in January as well and have been back to Ohio 3 times since then, although we did meet up with friends from "home" at the beach.

My kids have been back more than that. They miss their friends big time (and I miss mine).

My parents live about three hours from where we used to live but besides that we have no other family back in Ohio- just friends.

Moving isn't easy.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Um...I AM home.

OP did put "home" in quotes, indicating that s/he is aware of the dual meaning.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM

384 posts, read 595,978 times
Quote:
Um...I AM home.

This is truly a failed attempt at something, I am not even sure what the intent was.

The definition of "home" means different things to different people.

It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with whether or not someone is going to "make it work" anywhere.

Cue Frank Sinatra.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Oh, y'all. FC apologized. No need to fuss. It's the Holiday Season!

(Or so every store in town has been proclaiming since around August)

I'm from here and I rarely visit my relatives who are also from here. Don't be so hard on yourselves. You've got further to travel.

My husband grew up in Michigan (though he was born in Colorado). His folks are snowbirds. He's not been to Michigan since 2006. We did go meet his parents at a beach house in FL last spring, and they try to pass through here on either their way up to MI or back down to FL.

They're retired and already going back and forth twice a year anyway.

I think that those of us who have kids and/or aren't retired find it tougher to schedule long trips in general. Even those to destinations we would've chosen even without the lure of family and "home."

Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 AM

606 posts, read 903,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Having lived in DC for 23 years, no traffic stories surprise me - especially on 95! We actually went the western route up for Thanksgiving. We took US 29 to I-81 to the PA turnpike. It was lovely - and no traffic! I agree that even with the extra 1 1/2 hours it added, it was probably shorter and definitely less stressful than driving 95. Bonus was that my 5-year old got to add West Virginia to his list of states he's been in.
I'm from Western NY and I also go US29 to I-81 now vs. taking 95. It says that it takes longer than 95 but it doesn't account for the traffic so I find it to be faster. It's such a pretty drive. Much nicer than 95.

I used to go back about once a year. With the death of someone very dear to me this past year, I've really been making an effort to go "home" more often. I need to see my family. I've been back 3 times this year, and have 3 trips planned for next year.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM

128 posts, read 217,392 times
michgc, we just relocated in August and went back on a crazy one-day trip up to NY for Thanksgiving (won't ever do that same day trip again but hubby had to be at work Friday!). It is definitely difficult to miss holidays and special events particularly with young kids. I hope to make the trip 3-4 times a year as exhausting as it is, but I also wish my family would make the trip down at least once a year too. I know "homesickness" is to be expected especially when all our family is up North...I am hoping it will get easier as time goes by. I sure do understand ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary