U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM

84 posts, read 252,987 times

Advertisements

I tried searching for a thread regarding this subject but didn't find anything. My family is new to the area and we have three children (one is 4 yrs old and twins that are 2 1/2). My husband and I have his company's Christmas party to go to in Charlotte in December and it is important that we go plus we really want to meet everyone. We don't want to use a babysitter service that we don't know the sitters. Plus all our typical neighborhood sitters are too young for an overnight. One of my twins has mild autism (high functioning) and I've thought about asking one of his many therapists (the single ones that don't have families) if they would be interested in making some extra money and watch our children for about 20 hours. About 10 of those hours the children will be sleeping so the sitter will only have them up for five hours before bedtime and five hours in the morning before we get back. Plus the therapists know all my children as they are with me all the time when we have therapy appts. I asked my sister her opinion and she says that in Dallas she just pays a flat rate of around $100 for an overnight for her children but her three children are 9 and 11 yrs old. I was thinking of paying around $150 since mine are younger. But then I thought maybe I should pay hourly and I know most older sitters charge at least $10 an hour. But I don't think it is fair to pay $10/hr while everyone is sleeping. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 14,754,950 times
You are paying for peace of mind and you are paying for someone to be responsible for your children's lives overnight while you are 4 hours away, in case of an emergency. I think $10.00 an hour for 3 children, sleeping or not, is fair.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 AM

3,572 posts, read 9,503,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC to NC View Post
....... But I don't think it is fair to pay $10/hr while everyone is sleeping. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Give me a break. Following your reasoning, since everyone's sleeping, why have anyone there at all? In any case, if you can get one of the therapists, or any mature sitter, for $150 you'll be fortunate.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 PM

53 posts, read 180,385 times
Good luck finding someone on such short notice for an overnight sitter position. Atleast, one that you could trust. Many parties my wife and I missed because we didn't want to leave our children alone with a stranger. How about having a relative over for Christmas, maybe your mom? Then she could be there to watch them, while you two have fun.

Let me ask in a sincere way. Why would you go to a party four hours away? Plus, stay over night. I am assuming that you two are atleast in your mid thirties. You never have to attend any party.

May yours kids be well taken care of.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:57 PM

105 posts, read 352,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Give me a break. Following your reasoning, since everyone's sleeping, why have anyone there at all? In any case, if you can get one of the therapists, or any mature sitter, for $150 you'll be fortunate.
Ditto. You're keeping the sitter from being at home/doing whatever he or she would rather be doing. You wouldn't pay a daycare less for an hour long children's naptime, you pay them X per day/hour no matter if your child is awake or sleeping.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:20 PM

770 posts, read 2,644,779 times
$10 an hour would be fair for 3 children, sleeping or not. You are asking the sitter to be with 3 children under the age of 5, one of them having some sort of disability. The hardest times of the day are meals, which you are asking them to feed dinner, clean up, bath, and put to bed. Then you are asking them to do breakfast, get them dressed for the day. Is it a guaranteed that your children will not wake up within that 10 hour stretch? There are a lot of things you need to consider. The $10 an hour compensates for all the work the sitter is doing while the children are awake. I know some people that charge $10 for the first kid, then 3 dollars for each extra kid. I guess would you do it for $150, if someone was asking you? I am CPR certified, first aid certified and have 2 years in a daycare setting,I also worked as a education tech with autistic children...for example I babysat for a client she has 2 girls ages 3 and 18 months. I babysat for 6 hours, she paid me 80 dollars and gave me $20 dollars for gas because I had to drive 30 minutes to her home. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:31 PM

539 posts, read 1,692,433 times
We have three children as well. We have only traveled out of town twice and had the same question you did. We were able to hire my son's preschool teacher. She was familiar, responsible, capable and willing to make extra $. We paid $165.00/day (24 hour period). It worked out great for everyone. We don't have family in the area, don't leave them very often at all but there are things that are difficult to miss. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM

84 posts, read 252,987 times
Thanks for everyone's input. I think it sounds like $10/hr would be fair to the sitter so we will pay her around $200. I am like NClover and don't have any family in the area. Since this event isn't even close to Christmas week, we can't ask a family member to help out when they come visit. And LocalGuyWandering, we are soon to be 40, and never travel without our kids but feel this is an important event for us to attend since it is a company function and they relocated us down here. You're right, we don't have to attend, but this is my husband's career and I want to support him and show the company we appreciate all they do for us. Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,648,812 times
Please dont leave your kids with a stranger. Pay more, skip the event whatever.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 AM

10,418 posts, read 18,013,149 times
KC to NC...as you can see, we have some people responding that do not have kids!

Your question is a good one. My youngest is 14, so I can't help you there.

However, as a parent, I am SURE that you would not leave your kids with just anyone. I don't understand the previous posts about NOT GOING to this party. Its actually GOOD and HEALTHY for parents to leave their kids on occassion and spend time with other adults. Please do not allow these people to lay this guilt trip on you.

I have 4 kids. When they were younger, we had no family close by either. We did manage to find some good babysitters and even adult neighbors that wanted to trade off babysitting time. We rarely went overnight without them but on occassion, we did and never regretted it.

If you don't know anyone in the area, you may try looking online at Triangle Mommies. I have a client who moved here with a baby and knew no one but me. As much as I enjoy spending time with her, she needed friends with babies and stay at home moms, like her to hang out with! She found a wonderful group on Trianglemommies. Even if you were to email other mommies on that website, I would think you'd find excellent babysitters.

Enjoy your night out!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary