Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,109,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
But you will be with the heaviest traffic heading into RTP in the morning (west) and heading home in the evening (east).
...but the Sun won't be in his/her eyes either way.

But seriously, the commute from central Raleigh is actually a lot better than one might think it would be. When I do commute to RTP from DT, it's not a huge ordeal and actually shorter in time than many of my colleagues that live in many suburban areas. I-40 is manageable and improved at the 40/Wade extension split. Once past that split heading east, Wade itself is not bad. Out of the options that were presented by the OP, I'd vote for the Wade Ave. to Capital Blvd. option.
If the OP can adjust commuting times to avoid the worst, the commute can be downright painless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM

11,213 posts, read 8,274,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Incidentally, I lived near the Woodcrest/Belvedere Park area for a long time, and I agree that the fastest diving route to and from RTP is generally to go all the way down Wade Avenue. Leaving home early and leaving work early will certainly help, but the traffic is still likely to be frustrating and annoying from time to time, particularly if when we get rain or (god forbid) a little slushy snow. But the Wade Avenue route is almost always your least slow option.

By the way, when you do drive home by way of I-40, you mentioned getting off at either South Saunders Street or Person/Hammond, but for what it's worth, when I lived near Belvedere Park, I actually found that it was usually faster to get off at Rock Quarry instead, and then shoot up Raleigh Boulevard. Plus, that way you can easily make a quick stop for some groceries on the way home at either the Kroger at Raleigh Boulevard and MLK or the Food Lion at Raleigh Boulevard and Glascock. Sadly, the Kroger will apparently be closing next month, but the Food Lion remains a good and convenient option. And of course, as other posters mentioned, the upcoming "Crawleigh" project is likely to make the whole southern leg of Interstate 40 a nightmare for quite a while, so you may not be coming home from that direction all that often anyway. But it's worth keeping in mind.

Awesome, and reps to you!

This is what I thought, and I drove it the other day, makes sense. 440/Capitol is not bad on off hours either, but I think that 440 gets pretty stopped up during rush hour, so Wade Ave it is (so far).

I hope the Crawleigh project does not push all the other routes into disfunction as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary