Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
jac jac started this thread

389 posts, read 1,006,860 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions on experience gifts for this holiday season. Is there anything any of you can recommend from your area? The recipients will be a retired couple (mid 60's) who are in town from late spring to early fall.

jac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM

387 posts, read 638,161 times
Tickets to a performance by the NC Symphony (North Carolina Symphony)! Their regular season runs through May, then in the summer, they have their annual Summerfest series of outdoor concerts at Koka Booth Amphitheater in Cary. If the couple doesn't care for classical music, the Pops series from the symphony is also wonderful. This is a world-class symphony; I try to attend at least 3 performances annually, and always have my breath taken away by how powerful the music is!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Last Christmas I gave my parents a gift certificate for Il Palio restaurant. They absolutely loved it, especially since it wasn't the sort of place they would splurge to go to usually.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,896 times
You could always try www.xperiencedays.com or an open gift certificate for that site? I tried posting a link to the North Carolina section but it doesn't seem to fit in here.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
How active are they? What about a gift card to Triangle Glides for a segway tour? (My dad is in his early 70's and loved the segway tour!!) That is a really unique way to tour the city.

Duke Lemur center has a regular tour & some special ones that let you get very close to the animals in smaller groups. Maybe a certificate for one of those?

We have a couple winerys in the area, what about a certificate for a tour & tasting? Some offer other special events (food pairings, music, etc) that would make for a nice evening out.

Or maybe something different in terms of eating out? Kanki (sp?) has the hibachi tables where they cook right in front of you. Melting Pot does the fondu suppers. Or one of the Brazilian steakhouses.

Do they like sports? Maybe a mini-plan or box seats to a Bulls game?

Check out the museum of Life & Science in Durham. They have several special events during the year. I know in February is 'The Science of Eats' and they have a special party planned to celebrate the anniversary of the 1st person in space. We've done choclate & wine events there too. They are always a lot of fun.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
My retired inlaws really enjoyed a tour with Taste Carolina. Home

Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Nutcracker by N.C. Ballet was terrific but not sure if it is still here.

Handmade Puppet shows in Chapel Hill are for all ages

Memorial Hall in CH has a full schedule of music, dance, theater.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
jac jac started this thread

389 posts, read 1,006,860 times
Thank you for all your suggestions. I am checking them out.

jac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary