Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 AM

353 posts, read 995,728 times

Advertisements

Let me chime in and say I also agree with raleighjayne. I have been following issues in the school district ever since my eyes were opened 1) to the struggle within my own community and 2) to the major issues surrounding the 2006 school bond (mega-$$$).

What I have learned has convinced me it's best to leave Wake County if I value having a say in my child's education, and having stability for my family. Needless to say, my husband just got a new job, our home in currently on the market, and we're leaving.

You will hear the same old people come here and defend WCPSS -- and that's fine. But, I personally encourage you to read all you can, and to think long and hard before coming here, if schools are important to you. It's little more than a merry-go-round, and in this county, diversity trumps actual academics.

Do a city-data search for "Wake Schools" or "WCPSS" to see what's been discussed before. Go to the News&Observer's education section. Mr. Keung Hui does a GREAT job reporting school issues, and also has a blog (WakeED blog) where many residents and parents comment. You'll learn a lot.

You can also visit WakeCARES to find out about the ongoing battle over MANDATORY year-round schools (which are currently illegal, but the school board has requested an appeal).

The state of flux, coupled with massive reassignments (last year had ELEVEN THOUSAND kids were reassigned!!!) made the decision to move easy.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
btw: 2008 the Wake County Public School system 'may' ask for another $1 + Billion dollars to refurbish and build more schools.
newsobserver.com | All four bond issues get large mandate (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/elections/wake/story/731834.html - broken link)

"Asked what he thought of a major school bond issue possibly appearing on a Wake County ballot by 2009, however, Gurley said, "I'd put the odds at 100 percent." "

Get ready to open your wallets.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Default Vote NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post

"Asked what he thought of a major school bond issue possibly appearing on a Wake County ballot by 2009, however, Gurley said, "I'd put the odds at 100 percent." "

Get ready to open your wallets.
Or vote NO to future school bonds and force WCPSS, the county government, and local municipalities to work together to create a more stable future for WCPSS.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Or vote NO
True. I wish I was optimistic about it. True, the school board/system has lost quite a bit of credibility with some folks, but I wonder if enough folks are aware and will vote it down.

For those living in Wake at the time of the vote, I do hope so!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
They will come up with another scare tactic to get people to vote yes. This time it was MYR. They got people ITB and in Cary to vote for the bond because if they didn't then they'd go MYR too.

Also, enough people believe everything that WCPSS says. Magnets are NOT all in run down, high poverty areas. As much as WCPSS wants to say that we balance our schools, we have 20 schools with 50% or more F&R. Our lower income children are NOT performing better with all the busing. They are performing at less than 1% better than their counterparts statewide. It truly sounds logical that by reducing poverty at schools then the scores would go up across the board, but its just not the case. But people still believe it when WCPSS says its working because they want to believe it. Heck, I want to believe that a 'simple' solution like that is working but when you look at the scores, it just isn't so.

Too many people don't question what WCPSS says. They just believe it.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:24 AM

153 posts, read 459,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
This is absolutely not true. We had applied and been accepted to a magnet school, our first child went all the way through with no problems. Our second was forced to change schools as she went into 4th grade, along with her younger sister. There are no guarantees in the magnet program other than that you will be assigned to one of the schools of that type within the magnet program once you are accepted, not a particular school. And if you have a younger child that isn't old enough to be grandfathered if they redistrict (so far that would mean any rising 3rd graders and younger) then you are fair game to be redistricted, even if you have siblings at the school that ARE grandfathered, unless you want to carpool and have kids at 2 different schools.
I am just posting what I was told when I called WCPSS. We applied for and were accepted into a calendar option school (yr round). I called and asked that specific question more than once and was told we would not be moved.

Maybe I will call again...to see what they say now.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
ncitgal--depending on which year round you got in and where it is, you might or might not be moved. Right now, their plan is to open all new schools on the year round schedule and I don't think they've ruled out converting more schools in the future to year round. So if you are in an area where new schools are being built or converted, you have a chance of being moved.

It would be interesting to hear what they say to you if you ask again. The new draft assignment will be out within a couple of months so I guess we'll all find out then. :-(

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM

28 posts, read 78,385 times
"diversity trumps actual academics" are you saying what I think you are? It sounds like there is no such thing as living in "the best school district" there. As they will move the kids anyway so all numbers are as even as possible. Which means Limited English will bring scores down and not allow for any school to be "good"

Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

28 posts, read 78,385 times
I live on Long Island and Cary and Apex has been explained previously of having excellent schools. "Schools of excellence or Distinction" Rated by NC. Cary was named one of the best places to live. Is it really that bad? Has anyone that disliked the schools lived on Long Island? Brookhaven Township specifically, those from Fort Solonga dont count. Your standards would be much higher then mine. If they are going to redistrict for diversity, I have plenty of that here!! And my mom 2 minutes away as a babysitter.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM

I don't know what you "think" I am saying But, I can expound on my comment by saying that
1) this is a COUNTY-run system. It is unlike what you (we?) are used to up north (I am from LI too, attended the Long Beach City Schools).
2) Wake's system "categorizes" students based on economic data. FNR (Free and Reduced Lunch) students, and NON-FNR students.
3) They use FNR to determine the "health" of a school; Wake's mandate is that no school be over 40% FNR students (even though there ARE schools over 40%; over 50% -- even over 60%)
4) If FNR gets too high, they will reassign students from certain "nodes" (another WCPSS term) into/out of schools to re-balance them

So, as to your question of the "best" school district, I can only say it is a COUNTY district -- so, there is no answer.

As far as the FNR data, they don't track actual ACHIEVEMENT of these students as they are shuffled like so many playing cards. So, there is no concrete proof that low income students are benefiting from these policies.

Since they don't track individual student achievement, but continue to reassign kids to balance FNR, that is why I said "diversity trumps academics".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary