U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 105,423 times

Advertisements

Hope I have the most appropriate forum here. I'm hoping someone on here knows enough about permitting in NC and preferably Sanford that they can help.

I'm doing a remodel on my home in Sanford. This is the first time I've dealt with the city inspection department. I have an above garage bonus room that I am finishing. Part of what I am doing is adding another 2x4 wall within the existing walls, creating a double stud wall. I'm not changing any load-bearing walls. The inspection department told me I needed a building permit, which I have. (I had an HVAC person pull a mechanical and will have an electrician pull that permit.) According to State requirements regarding building permits, and copied directly from the city's website:

“No permit …shall be required for any construction, installation, repair, replacement, or alteration costing Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000) or less in any single family residence or farm building unless the work involves: the addition, repair, or replacement of load bearing structures;”

To me, this clearly states I do not need a *building* permit. I'm way under $5K and no load-bearing changes. Is the inspector wrong?

The other problem I have with one inspector is he won't tell me what he's looking for as far as insulation in the ceiling. We are using open-cell foam in what amounts to a cathedral ceiling, but he won't tell us if what we are spraying in the ceiling is enough to meet code. As I recall, he's questioning whether it should be held to attic standards, which are now r-38 in Lee County. No way we can reach that. He's kind of like, "well we'll see". Our insulation person did an r-calc and determined we should be okay with by creating a double stud wall and beefing up that insulation, but I'm nervous.

The other thing about the inspector, he made the comment that he "prefers" a certain local insulation company. Isn't that a major red flag?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. BTW, I am having the worst time finding an electrician, local or otherwise. I think the locals are busy with new homes for Ft. Bragg. Any suggestions for a good one who serves Lee County would be great. Everyone thinks Sanford is a million miles away. I'm less than 30 mins straight down US1 from Ten-Ten Road! :-)

sgtp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary