Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm new to this site. My name is Jodi and we have lived ITB since 1999 (lived in Cary from 97 to 99, moved down to NC from NY in 97). My husband and I are looking into Elementary public schools ITB. Right now our children are in private school (as they are preschool age), but our son will be elementary school age next fall. We've been considering moving in the spring, but want to stay ITB, and want to be mindful of the public schools.

Any input/good place to research the public elementary schools ITB?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
I think the best place to start your search is the WCPSS website Wake County Public School System.
You can search individual schools, see their base attendance area, calendar, demographics and test scores.
It is a great place to START, but don't base all of your opinions on test scores and AYP results. Once you narrow down a few options, then go vists. Many of the IBT schools are magnets and I believe they have a magnet fair in November and individual open houses later. Magnets are not for everyone, so you will probably want to visit.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM

168 posts, read 1,211,847 times
Look at greatschools.net too

Root and Lacey both have really good reputations. Also the scores are lower for Joyner b/c of the demographic, but you can lottery in to a bilingual program there (Spanish-English). The kids come out totally bilingual and if you look at scores at that school for parents w/college or graduate degrees, they are excellent. They are not good for kids of parents who have less than that, and for several other groups.

We also moved ITB (ended up deciding to move to Chapel Hill). We were districted to Lacey but would have gone with Joyner for the bilingual benefit...

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,712 times
What are your base schools? My kids go to Lacy and we love it, but we have friends with kids at Joyner, Root, Wiley, Partnership, and Underwood and they are all happy.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
I'd suggest after you check the scores, you ask your neighbors. The more questions you ask, the more information you'll have. And then, The better your decisions will be.

Vicki

Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,830 times
Joyner no longer has the bilingual immersion program. They still do Spanish for an hour each day and the kids also get taught science/social studies in Spanish as well as English. Also, ALL students at Joyner get Spanish. It used to be that only the magnet kids got it, but now all students get it.

The scores at Joyner aren't as great, like strawberryfield said, but its a great school. We went there for 4 years before deciding that the 2 hour a day commute was too much for our family. Its very expensive to live ITB, but if you can do it you will get superior educational opportunities to what the rest of us get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary