Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 AM

48 posts, read 176,599 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, as many posters on here, my family (4 kids) and hubby will be relocating to Raleigh area in the spring. My question is how is the job market for someone who works in the restauran area? My hubby has been a cook/chef for 20+ years. He's worked in all kinds of restaurants. Any ideas if he'd have a hard time finding work? How the pay may compare? The high pay for VT is about $15/per hour. Any information would be great!!

Thanks . S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
You are coming to an area that has soooo many great upscale restaurants. I don't know what kind of cooking that your husband did. Maybe if I know that I can give you some names of a few to apply to. I'm not sure of the salary, but it seems to me that it would be much more than that. My son bartended at The Sheraton in downtown Raleigh, Hilton in Durham and Bogarts in Downtown Raleigh. Maybe he would know about that. I will have to ask him. Let me knowif I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
You can hardly go a week around here without a new restaurant opening somewhere...especially in the downtown areas of Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham. As for pay, I can't say, but there's sure to be competition to hire the best.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 AM

48 posts, read 176,599 times
thank you to you both. My husband has done all kinds of cooking, typical "diner food", seafood, steak, burgers, italian, "home cooking", etc. The only thing he hasn't really done is chinese/japanese, etc. He has basically run small kitchens himself. He's also worked at Outback type chains, doesn't really like the chains, prefers more upscale, classier, etc. type. We are hoping that the pay will be better, possibly with benefits. Any ideas the best sites to search for these types of jobs, or just go in person to most?? Thanks again..

Sherrie

Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Email me and I will email you back a list of nice restaurants in the area to contact along with their websites. I would do it now but I am running off to work for awhile. Have a great day.

Debbie

Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Thumbs up Hope this helps!

Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive list of restaurants in downtown Raleigh. I'm sure there is one for Downtown Durham as well, once I find it I will try to post that as well.

http://www.downtownraleigh.com/play/list/?t=Dine

Also, I also see classified ads looking for cooks in a local paper here called the Independent Weekly. Not sure if they are the caliber of jobs he is looking for, but it may provide some useful info!

http://classifieds.indyweek.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary