Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times

Advertisements

I've been taking 540 from 64 to 40 every day since it opened. Yesterday the rush hour traffic volume definitely increased to almost double what it had been. Was 55 any lighter than normal? Will see what happens once the tolls kick in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Unhappy The real cost of toll needs to be grossed up for taxes paid on income to pay them

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
when calculating costs of driving dont forget the benefit of increased gas mileage due to driving at highway speeds as opposed to stop and go traffic. That plus stress less driving and time savings make it a no brainer for me.
Good point, but also remember that you have paid tax on the money you use to pay the tolls. Assuming 220 commute days a year, the total cost of using the full length of the 540 toll road would be $1161.60. Gross that up for state and federal taxes and the cost becomes $1,742 of gross income, assuming total tax rate deduction of 33% for illustrative purposes.

You also need to pay for the gas you use on the toll road and assuming 18.8 miles each way on toll road, 25 mpg and $3.20 a gallon gas, then the cost of 220 days commuting the full length of the toll road is $1060 a year. Gross that up for taxes and the gas cost is $1600 of 'gross income'. That's a total cost in gross income terms of $3342 a year to travel to and from work without taking into account wear and tear costs of vehicle. Think of the additional mortgage that would pay to live closer to work, and avoid the toll road and the commute time necessary, if choosing to live in Cary/Morrisville, (or even North Raleigh where there are no tolls to use 540), instead of Holly Springs for lower housing costs.

People think of salary in gross income terms and when choosing to live further away for more affordable housing they need to consider how much of that gross income will be used just to get to work. So to me the real cost of 540 tolls is typically $1742 a year, increasing by 5% a year in the early years of the project as the N&O explains. That is a BIG chunk of change for toll payments and the toll is more than the gas used with a typical 25 mpg vehicle.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Good point, but also remember that you have paid tax on the money you use to pay the tolls. Assuming 220 commute days a year, the total cost of using the full length of the 540 toll road would be $1161.60. Gross that up for state and federal taxes and the cost becomes $1,742 of gross income, assuming total tax rate deduction of 33% for illustrative purposes.

You also need to pay for the gas you use on the toll road and assuming 18.8 miles each way on toll road, 25 mpg and $3.20 a gallon gas, then the cost of 220 days commuting the full length of the toll road is $1060 a year. Gross that up for taxes and the gas cost is $1600 of 'gross income'. That's a total cost in gross income terms of $3342 a year to travel to and from work without taking into account wear and tear costs of vehicle. Think of the additional mortgage that would pay to live closer to work, and avoid the toll road and the commute time necessary, if choosing to live in Cary/Morrisville, (or even North Raleigh where there are no tolls to use 540), instead of Holly Springs for lower housing costs.

People think of salary in gross income terms and when choosing to live further away for more affordable housing they need to consider how much of that gross income will be used just to get to work. So to me the real cost of 540 tolls is typically $1742 a year, increasing by 5% a year in the early years of the project as the N&O explains. That is a BIG chunk of change for toll payments and the toll is more than the gas used with a typical 25 mpg vehicle.
I'm sorry, but I kind of lost track: Were you doing the math evaluating the consequences of using the new Tollway, or of living closer into the city?

I agree that when looking at this kind of question (one that has significant dollars associated with it), that the Big Picture should be considered. However, the analysis should be chosen to minimize the variables. IE: Do I drive on the tollway, & pay the fee but benefit from a shorter commute? The analysis should be on the differential.

FYI: I analyze a lot of things, but I do it all post-tax, because there are many other factors that adjust the tax amounts. And the difference between analyzing
the amount of the Commute Differential pre-tax, vs
the amount of the Commute Differential post-tax
is itself pretty small. And the post-tax results are easier to visualize, since they are "wallet-cash" rather than "1040-credits".

Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Anybody try the new section yet? Toll free until Jan 2. I may give it a go tomorrow.
Hubby took it both ways on Thursday. Saved him 8 minutes going to work, but coming home it was bumper to bumper 20 mph trying to exit at Holly Springs. I'm hoping that's just because of the time of day (6:00pm) and the fact that it was the first day and free.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The Holly Springs exit empties too abruptly into NC 55 in my opinion. I think that is going to be a problem.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Default Fuquay to RDU/RTP in 25 minutes

I was able to test out the new road yesterday and managed to get up to RDU and RTP in about 25 minutes with no traffic. But this is only a 5-10 minute saving, so I guess for many it will not be worth the additional expense. I would imagine the time saving will be greater during peak times. Nice view of Shearon Harris from the on-ramp btw.

The dead-end at 55 in Holly Springs will definitely be an issue with all of Fuquay and Holly Springs having only one access point. Will only get worse when the new shopping center arrives in a few months. Remember when Holly Springs was a sleepy little town? Like in March!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
The abrupt end of the freeway is due to the design which nods to future Southeast Extension completion. A lot of the traffic exiting at 55 will then exit at the Holly Springs Road intersection.

All we need to know is if Garner will be summarily sacrificed to support extension of the road.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
I took the road twice now, I think the ending design looks abrupt on 55 (going towards Holly Springs) but that 3rd lane continues south all the way past the entrance to the self service dump. I think once people get used to it they could ride in that 3rd lane for a little while although it will only take one person stopping at the end of the ramp to cause trouble (similar to the free moving merge from main street onto 55).

Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
I took it for the first time today. I had an appointment near Southpoint. Googlemaps told me it would take 49 minutes from my house near FV. (They didn't have the new segment.) I made it in 35 minutes each way. I was only going about 69 on 540 (speed limit is 65), but once I got on I-40, I was going 70 just to keep up with traffic. I had a few cars blow by me, and saw one car pulled by a trooper. Had no trouble exiting onto 55 going home.

I could get very used to that road! Luckily I don't have to go that way every day, but since I have occasional medical appointments at Duke, it makes the commute a breeze!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:56 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Hubby took it both ways on Thursday. Saved him 8 minutes going to work, but coming home it was bumper to bumper 20 mph trying to exit at Holly Springs. I'm hoping that's just because of the time of day (6:00pm) and the fact that it was the first day and free.
I heard some interview from the DOT recently that mentioned $6-8 daily and that the toll road saves 20 minutes each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary