Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,720 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I am trying to start now to look for a place to work and live in Raleigh. I am applying to NCSU's summer session as an UG student and I'm hoping to get it. So when I move down I need to find a place to live, work and study.

So brief background is that I graduated 2 yrs ago with a degree in biology, but after working in clinical [Hopkins] and research [UMD Med] labs I needed a change because I didn't really enjoy what I was doing. I was always good with computers and I had worked before and during UG for local gov in a tech position [I have 5+ yrs experience in IT]. Only problem is in UG I never took comp sci [stupid me, just did bio] but I took java this past semester online with NCSU and got an A, so I'm feeling pretty good with this decision to pursue computers. I've been taking other pre-reqs to finish up a comp sci degree at NCSU [why I'm applying] but it seems like the jobs open for computers all require an UG degree in CS, which I don't have, so I'm stuck in the middle.

So my plan is to find some sort of temporary position that will be enough for me to live somewhere and take classes. I'm building up a budget right now [I plan to move in the summer] but I am open to any suggestions anyone has for work or where to live. I would like to spend no more than $750 for rent if I live alone [but I'm open to roommates if that'll lower my expenses]. I'm using google to look up other expenses like gas, electricity, internet, etc, but if anyone has some data about their own cost of living, I would feel better using that to estimate my cost, plus it would give me an idea of what companies to use.

I know this site is mostly for residential based, but I figured I'll ask about any suggestions people may have to tech jobs. In Baltimore I take my classes and I have a part time job as an ER Spanish translator/registrator. I started looking at the hospitals in Raleigh for similar openings, but I've been trying to make the move to be working with computers again. I've applied to some general tech support positions that I've found in the Raleigh/Durham area but I don't know what else to do. I'll be in Raleigh in early January, so if anyone knows of some companies that I could contact and possibly make an appointment to meet with during my time there, feel free to chime in.

I'm really sorry about this lengthy post, I'm just getting really nervous about everything working out. I really want to be there and start a new life. Thank you in advance.

-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Try "The Raleigh Apartments" on Peace Street in Raleigh.

Rent an Apartment | Raleigh, NC | The Raleigh Apartments | Drucker and Falk

They are very old but reasonably priced and convenient. My son just graduated from NC State with a masters and is now a high school math teacher, but I think he wants to live there for a long time. He lived there a few years ago, moved away to newer apartments with roommates, and is now back again.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,720 times
Thank you! I will definitely look into them!

Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Look at the Company 'All Scripts' they are on Six Forks rd. I have heard they are hiring for tech support positions. Seems like you might be qualified.They have a recent graduate program. Also there are a good amount of apartments which would suit your requirements. For now there is a good range in apartment prices.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM

138 posts, read 232,460 times
If you would consider living in Durham, Colonial Village is very nice. We just moved my daughter there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary