Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year, all!

I'm having a weird issue with my house - posted about it in the home forum but now I really need someone to check it out and make repairs, and being a first time homeowner I have no idea of where to go.

In a nutshell, the ceiling drywall separated from the crown molding - then I went in the attic and saw daylight through a wall and around a screened, vented window that has pulled up from the board to which it was attached, and it looks like on the exterior my siding has...moved.

Needless to say, I'm having a fit.

I don't know if I need to call a contractor, engineer, or both - wasn't worried until I saw the issue in the attic and this morning the aiding...

Recommendations most appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Well, if the areas that have the crown/ceiling separation it is probably nothing major. It's pretty common for the crown to shrink back and also, if the roof is trusses, they tend to shift when the part by the roof gets heated by the sun, which causes the lower members to move and pull away.

Not totally sure I understand the other issue, can you post a picture?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
The sheetrock/molding problem could be due to truss uplift. This occurs from differential movement of the truss. Generally this doesn't cause any serious issues. However, the problem can get a little more serious if the trusses have been nailed hard to non load-bearing walls. Check at floor level for any evidence that the the wall itself is being lifted. I have seen this happen many times.
Is this a new house? If so, contact the builder. Even if it is not new, there is typically a structural warranty for 10 years. If you need (or want) and evaluation by a Structural Engineer send me a pm for some recommendations.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Thanks all - I think it is truss uplift - I don't see anything at the floor, but I had floors installed and old carpet ripped out in September. Still, I first noticed this in early November, so I probably would have seen something happen with the floor. Here are some pics. You can see what's going on with my ceiling (hoping to just caulk), and then in the attic where the attic window has separated from the boards under it (you can see some stretched out brown caulk). I also noticed that someone cut out cardboard to cover it - lovely! And a pic of tiny hole in wall.

I prefer that this just requires caulk and lots of it, but definitely want a structural engineer to check it...

Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I wouldn't worry about the gaps around the louver. You should recaulk it using some type of backer rod, but it's open anyway, so as long as water isn't leaking it's not an emergency or anything IMO. The hole should also be caulked. Might not be a horribly bad idea to put screen on the inside of the louver, covering the gaps to so birds and insects have a more difficult time getting in.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 AM

Thanks! The more I think about it, because I convince myself, the more I think caulk is the answer (yet I do have an email in to an engineer). It actually does have screening, just didn't show up in the photo. But I think I now know why I saw bugs in the attic (see roach thread). On a good note, I haven't seen more of those and flung Harris roach tablets all over the place. Thanks everyone for sending info.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM

277 posts, read 797,526 times
Default Recommendation for structural engineer....

I've used Bob Giles from Giles Engineering in Cary and he does excellent work
Criterium-Giles Engineers- Commercial – Residential – HOA

Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM

43 posts, read 85,847 times
I would press on the crown moulding and see if it moves really easily. The trim guy may not have hit the studs behind the drywall and that will make the trim separate from the ceiling every time.......and it will keep doing it after you cauk it every time if you don't nail it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary