Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 26,709 times

Advertisements

Our child goes to Forest View Elementary and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but we are worried about the transition to Githens middle school in a couple of years. Can anyone share their experience at Githens? We have thought about magnets and private schools, but are just not sure. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,263,231 times
Can't really share personal experience, but I have a friend who seems pleased with it for her AIG son.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holahola View Post
Our child goes to Forest View Elementary and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but we are worried about the transition to Githens middle school in a couple of years. Can anyone share their experience at Githens? We have thought about magnets and private schools, but are just not sure. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!
Holahola - can you tell me more about Forest View?? We're moving to the area, and although I love Chapel Hill, I do enjoy the Durham home prices! Thank you

Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,140,189 times
I can pass along the second hand info i have on Forest View..lol
( Take it for what it is worth)

A "friend" has a child whom went there. Her complaints was the high population of Hispanic ( forgetting I have a spanish last name-lol)
The guess supposedly low income ratio/ higher "at risk" students in the school

She does have postives she liked. "What did I love most about Forest View? I love it that the teachers collaborate to enhance education for all students. A recent example to demonstrate, on a beautiful day in April, before we moved the students walked to a nearby creek (part of Duke Forest) and did science class" I will also note she always spoke of her childs great enthusiastic teacher she had and absolutely LOVED. Her child was included as much as possible with the non special needs students.

She moved out of the area, and really missed the great care the teacher gave her special needs child, in comparsion.

So from the sounds of it..I'd get it a good rating. But like I said, take it for what it is worth. I have never attended that school =)

Punctual, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence I know is the middle schools motto.

The NC report card accurately tells the story of Githens Middle School. There are a lot of very young teachers there with good hearts. Unfortunately, this school is very 'heavy' with new teachers and Teach for America recruits because experienced teacher turnover has been extremely high for years there. Many complaints are of the over crowding( if you do searches on the school rating websites and read the current parent compliants)

Again take that info with a grain of salt. New teacher doesn't equate bad teacher. In middle school ( any middle school) the more parent volunters they have the better. I would check into the school after school programs, the PTA, how many actual parent volunters they have. Because the more involved , active parents you have the better..not so much a score card.

Last edited by klmquiroz; 02-12-2013 at 08:47 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 26,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons5 View Post
Holahola - can you tell me more about Forest View?? We're moving to the area, and although I love Chapel Hill, I do enjoy the Durham home prices! Thank you
Of course! It is a wonderful school and extremely diverse. My daughter has friends whose families come from all over the world, literally. Many of the parents have affiliations with Duke University and UNC. Looking at the student body, it is truly like a microcosm of the world, and we love that.

Someone above stated that there was a high percentage of Hispanics and that somehow this was a bad thing because of being socioeconomically disadvantaged? Well, we are Hispanic and not disadvantaged (yes, Hispanic professionals do exist!) so I find that offensive, to say the least. Yes, there are disadvantaged students (of all races) at the school, but, welcome to the real world. My daughter realizes that there are people in the world who go without, and it has taught her the beauty of helping others, as well as a thankfulness for what she has.

The principal and teachers have all been wonderful, very caring and loving with the students and really go above and beyond for the students. There is an emphasis on science at the school, which we have loved. Also, there has been a lot of instruction in the arts - they have dance, art, and music every week, and my daughter's class has attended field trips to the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke several times this year. Overall, we have been very happy with the school and the well-rounded education that they have offered. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary