Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times

Advertisements

I just saw this on the WRAL website. I know some forum members have kids there. Is everyone ok?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Some kid brought a BB gun to school. No shots fired...no injuries.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Desmonda's daughter goes there.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Desmonda's daughter goes there.
Yup, just got a recorded message phoned to use from Mr. Lyons, the principal. Basically what everyone already said, kid brought a BB gun to school (what made some kid think this was a good idea?), a parent in the carpool line spotted it, the Wake County Sheriff Deputy assigned to the school (just like every other middle and high school) took care of it. The kid has been suspended for now and Wake County will handle any criminal charges.

I am sure I will get the low down when my daughter comes home. All in all, it sounds like a minor (as minor as those things go) incident and it was handled well. School is back in session.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
Glad to hear that your daughter and everyone else is fine! Good for the parent in the carpool line for being so alert. Yes, a BB gun is minor compared to other guns! After the school shooting at Orange High School in Hillsborough last fall (Columbine obssesed shooter) we tend to think the worst.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Kids! Glad to hear that your daughter is fine, Desdemona!

As for security measures at our schools...yesterday I checked daughter out of school early for dentist appointment.

When I went in the main door, a "beep" sounded, much like my security system does at home when a door is opened.

I then noticed a bunch of screens near the main office, showing who was entering.

I went to main office where they now (2 weeks old) have a machine that I gave my reason for being at the school. I then INSERTED MY DRIVER'S LICENSE into the machine. I then stood still to have photo taken. Machine gives me back license and spits out a "visitor tag" with my name and photo that I must stick on!

Then I go to attendance office to check daughter out.

Then I go to next office to have someone get her.

This took 20 minutes! Not a big deal but just a notice to those that aren't aware of this new program. If you send a note in the morning, kid takes it to the office and then gets a note to give to teacher but its kid's responsibility to leave class at the appropriate time to meet at carpool, only.

GREAT security, Wake County!!! I really feel better about having my "baby" in high school!!!

Vicki

Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
Sounds like too much security. I would find it really intrusive and time consuming. I would just tell my son or daughter to come outside and meet me (probably call or text him or her on their cell phone to let them know I arrived).

Also, big deal on the BB gun being taken to the school. It's not a deadly weapon. Just send the kid home on suspension. Why would they need to "lock down" the school.

School administrators are the bottom of the barrel, they are usually the worthless ones who have no teaching skills. We have too many administrators here in the U.S., social workers, etc. Schools in other countries spend their money on more teachers and less administrators, and their kids turn out much smarter.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Sounds like too much security. I would find it really intrusive and time consuming. I would just tell my son or daughter to come outside and meet me (probably call or text him or her on their cell phone to let them know I arrived).

Also, big deal on the BB gun being taken to the school. It's not a deadly weapon. Just send the kid home on suspension. Why would they need to "lock down" the school.

School administrators are the bottom of the barrel, they are usually the worthless ones who have no teaching skills. We have too many administrators here in the U.S., social workers, etc. Schools in other countries spend their money on more teachers and less administrators, and their kids turn out much smarter.
Too much security? I don't think so...that school is not a prison by a long shot.

At the time they did the 'lock down' they did not know it was just a BB gun....they found that out later. The parent saw a hand gun. I've seen some of the air pallet and BB guns....they look real enough to me.

What would you be saying to me if it had been a 9mm?

Please, find out the facts, then spout off. I found the reaction to the even-balanced by everyone there.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 10-18-2007 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: for a double typo

Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post

I have to agree with Desdemona here. At first, I thought it might have been an over-reaction too, but after I read the article, it sounded like a perfectly reasonable response. Someone was spotted entering the school with what appeared to be a weapon. That's a perfectly good reason to lock down the school.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:45 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
Okay, yes, if they were unsure about it being a BB gun, then it does make sense and I agree with the lock down.

But a lot of schools do overreact to minor things, for example a butter knife brought to school in a lunch box could result in a student being expelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary