Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 AM

354 posts, read 1,214,738 times

Advertisements

If you were choosing between the two, which one you would prefer and why like easy commute, higher demand area, convenience etc.

Governor's Club in Chapel Hill
OR
Maida Vale in Durham

The prices are roughly the same in both communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
I need to check-out this Maida Vale area. Several here on the Forum have bragged about it, and my curiosity has been piqued.

My husband and I spent several afternoons in Governor's Club, looking at homes on the market. It was a beautiful area. I liked the custom homes and the rolling hills, but I wondered about traffic getting into, and out of, the neighborhood as people wound their way on the one-lane streets. It must not be too much of a hassle, though, as plenty of people live in Governor's Club.

It was a little too far from work for it to be really feasible for my husband, and while we felt like we might scrape enough together to live there, it is so out-of-range of our family and friends, until we'd be too embarrassed to have them visit.

But, it is beautiful, and the realtor sure did his best to sell us a home there. Have you looked at the Reserve at Jordan Lake? or Legacy? Those are nice areas too.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks for your input. I looked at the Preserve at Jordan Lake but I feel its too remote so I never gave it any serious thought. I will check out Legacy.

Did you find that the lots at Governor's Club would be a tough build as the terrain is so uneven and most of the lots I saw on Google Earth had steep slopes. Is that correct?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,799,245 times
The remaining undeveloped lots in Governor's Club all have one issue or another. That's why they remain vacant many years after development started.

My father in law really wanted to build in there and sent me on 3 different scouting missions. I never found a lot I could say nothing but good things about, and this was over 2 years ago.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
We looked almost two years ago, and I was not considering anything but a house already built, and on the market. Ironically enough, my Dad's an architect, and my husband and I have always wanted him to design a contemporary home for us -- Frank Lloyd Wright-ish with cantilevered porches and such.

Dad told us to find a lot with a rolling terrain, and specifically two hills with e creek between them. Darned if I didn't mention that to the realtor to have him come back with, "Have I got the lot for you."

I thought Governors Club was a lovely area. After looking at the listings on MLS, I think they've held their own these past two years -- I only saw one I recognized from our own home search. Maida Vale did not appeal to me at all, but it's my own hang-up -- something about a Mediterranean-themed neighborhood here in the Piedmont didn't appeal to me.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
If you were choosing between the two, which one you would prefer and why like easy commute, higher demand area, convenience etc.

Governor's Club in Chapel Hill
OR
Maida Vale in Durham

The prices are roughly the same in both communities.
Maida Vale is right beside an elementary school (the one my son goes to). Personally if I were going to spend 750K+ on a house it would not be right beside an elementary school. If you are serious about buying a home there you should check out the area between 3:15 to 3:45 pm on a school day. The car pool lane backs up down the road and many of us park on the road right beside Maida Vale and walk up to get our kids.

While I've never seen the inside of homes in either neighborhood, I would pick Governor's Club based just on the fact that there are trees still standing. Maida Vale has zero trees and the Med Style houses just don't fit in here. Since there is still construction going on it really looks like it should be in AZ not NC. I wonder how or if the different architecture would effect resale.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Maida Vale is right beside an elementary school (the one my son goes to). Personally if I were going to spend 750K+ on a house it would not be right beside an elementary school. If you are serious about buying a home there you should check out the area between 3:15 to 3:45 pm on a school day. The car pool lane backs up down the road and many of us park on the road right beside Maida Vale and walk up to get our kids.

While I've never seen the inside of homes in either neighborhood, I would pick Governor's Club based just on the fact that there are trees still standing. Maida Vale has zero trees and the Med Style houses just don't fit in here. Since there is still construction going on it really looks like it should be in AZ not NC. I wonder how or if the different architecture would effect resale.
That's a bummer! The school being right there. We had liked the Meadowmont area but the school there killed the deal. Cars were parked all over the streets there too and then we also found about the future mass transit corridor going thru the neighborhood.

I did talk to the agent at Maida Vale and I was told there are trees still standing on the lot I was interested in. I guess I will have to check that and the school situation out next month when I am going to be visiting the area.

I am kind of concerned about the noise from Hwy 40 which is only half a mile away and was told that is not a problem. Here in Scottsdale the noise carries very far and you can generally hear the cars on the highway at night if you are less than a mile away. A direct result of no trees to buffer the noise.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Is the school on George King Road or Ephesus Church Road?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 PM

460 posts, read 1,765,713 times
I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the homes at Maida Vale. LOVVVVVVVVVVVED!

But, as others have mentioned, it's in a weird location. In addition to the noise and cars, it wasn't close enough to walking trails and stuff for me. BUT...I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the homes!

Some guy is just bought two lots and is building an 11,000 sq foot home with a big retracting glass wall. It simply sounds FAB.

I also really like Colvard Farms (if you get a home built by Trip Lloyd), and StoneBridge. Stonebridge really surprised me, but the houses are large, all brick, and all by one builder. The house are all at different elevations and distances from the street with plenty of room between them, so that added to my appreciation for the neighborhood (plus there's a hiking trail running through it, and a lake not far away). Had Maida Vale been built in that location, I'd be writing this post from my Maida Vale home (if I had any money left over for internet access )

Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
That's a bummer! The school being right there. We had liked the Meadowmont area but the school there killed the deal. Cars were parked all over the streets there too and then we also found about the future mass transit corridor going thru the neighborhood.

I did talk to the agent at Maida Vale and I was told there are trees still standing on the lot I was interested in. I guess I will have to check that and the school situation out next month when I am going to be visiting the area.

I am kind of concerned about the noise from Hwy 40 which is only half a mile away and was told that is not a problem. Here in Scottsdale the noise carries very far and you can generally hear the cars on the highway at night if you are less than a mile away. A direct result of no trees to buffer the noise.

Thanks for the info!
The school is on Ephesus Church Road. The front of the school and the front of the entrance of the subdivision both face Ephesus Church Road. There are no trees standing on the lots near the front of the subdivision... this areas takes up at least a block. But there are trees at the back so I guess there is where the lot that you are interested in is. One thing to keep in mind Creekside Elementary was built to house 620 kids it now has 860 kids. Also they are planning on adding more elementary classrooms to this school (I think 11 total) and between the school and Farrington they are suppose to build a middle school that will house 300-400 middle school kids. Of course, this is all dependent on a bond passing this fall. Construction on the two is slated to be finished after 2013. Durham Public Schools should be able to fill you in more. I don't mean to discourage you but I would want to know these things if I were interested in buying there.

I looked at some homes near 40 (lower price range) and the noise I heard was the big trucks down shifting. I couldn't live with that. Something to listen out for maybe.

Colvard Farms is lovely, but the entrance is odd. They were not able to buy out some surrounding property so you pass an 80's sort of home on a farm. But it's worth looking at while you are here.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary