Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM

34 posts, read 72,984 times

Advertisements

Once again, I appeal to the hive-mind.

It looks like my move to RTP is on. After a lot of advice, I am now looking for an apartment in the central part. Contract job is south of the airport (NetApp), and I am advised that I would like that area better than one of the three cities. Also, short commute.

So, looking for an apartment, of which there are so many.

Needs:

1 Bedroom (possibly with den)
Garage (I have a little Alfa Spider than I don't want to leave outside) attached garage is best.
Washer/Dryer
Good internet (by which I mean not TWC)

Budget up to about 1200

Looking at Carrington at Brier Creek, which seems to tick a lot of boxes. I'm late 40's, single male, if that matters.

I'm having a really hard time finding places that have an alternative to TWC. I have U-Verse now, and the Internet is great (TV was crap, however). I don't think that Verizon Fios is in NC, but that would be an option. DSL probably won't cut it, need/want at least 10Mb.

It's a geeky part of the country, so I have hopes that some other geek will have this info.

Thank you in advance,

Simon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
There is some Fios in Durham, but they never finished building out so it's like Uverse in Raleigh, hit or miss. The area around Southpoint Mall has apartments and is pretty convenient to RTP also or try Morrisville. I know some of the apartments here are at least in areas served by Uverse. Not sure of specifics though.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
We've been in Carrington for 6 months. Do a search on this forum and do pay attention to the online reviews. In this case, they are relevant.

That said, they do have a new onsite manager who seems to be getting things fixed very quickly. And shows a noticeable change in attitude towards current tenants in terms of making them satisfied residents.

We have had zero trouble with TWC internet while here, using only the included base plan which is reliably and regularly gets us 12-15 mbps download and 1mbps upload. We hate the television and DVR service, however - especially the DVR which truly is an antiquated piece of junk software.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've been in Carrington for 6 months. Do a search on this forum and do pay attention to the online reviews. In this case, they are relevant.

That said, they do have a new onsite manager who seems to be getting things fixed very quickly. And shows a noticeable change in attitude towards current tenants in terms of making them satisfied residents.

We have had zero trouble with TWC internet while here, using only the included base plan which is reliably and regularly gets us 12-15 mbps download and 1mbps upload. We hate the television and DVR service, however - especially the DVR which truly is an antiquated piece of junk software.

How is Carrington for noise and traffic?

I have to run over there and take a look, but it's one of the few that has garages.

Do you know if U-Verse is available? TWC just doesn't work for me (shared bandwidth, very $$ and insufficient upload)

Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I do not believe that U-Verse is available. And my conversation with U-Verse last week did NOT indicate that their speeds were better than TWC premium plans. They also indicated that they are not expanding very rapidly in this area. Requiring a garage AND U-Verse is going to make finding a suitable apartment nearly impossible. Maybe a rental house in Cary?

Get an upgraded speed of TWC and you'll only have to pay the difference between the standard plan and whatever higher level plan you select, since the apartment covers the modem and standard internet package. The apartments also include a large cable TV packages (we only added HBO and SHO).

Yes, the complex is quiet and has a mixed age range. But, like all apartments, the walls are thin and the dogs do bark. I imagine that being on the top floor would be advantageous as most of the noise we are bothered by is coming from the apartment above with two large guys and a large, active dog in residence. And some loud, late pool parties in the summer (btw, the pool was out of commission about 1/3 of the season in 2012).

Traffic is, well, bad at rush hour. Otherwise it's fine. Very convenient location and that is the best thing about it. It's worked for us as a temporary stop with a 9 month lease until our house is finished. Long term? Maybe not, but we don't have the patience or tolerance to be apartment dwellers anymore.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM

JKGourmet - Very good info, thank you.

Did not know that Internet and basic cable were included. That does make a big difference.

I think I'm stuck on a ground floor, as the garage requirement is definite.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There is some Fios in Durham, but they never finished building out so it's like Uverse in Raleigh, hit or miss.
To the best of my knowledge, there is *no* FiOS in Durham. There were rumors in 2009 that Verizon was about to begin a build-out of FiOS here, but they sold their local telco business to Frontier before it started.

TWC is the only decent high-speed option in this area, IMO. You can also get Earthlink service up to 15 Mbps, but TWC offers residential options up to 50 Mbps.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaRelocate View Post
Once again, I appeal to the hive-mind.

It looks like my move to RTP is on. After a lot of advice, I am now looking for an apartment in the central part. Contract job is south of the airport (NetApp), and I am advised that I would like that area better than one of the three cities. Also, short commute.
Just so you speak our language here
Unless you actually mean that you have been transfered to a job in the Research Triangle Park,
we refer to the 3 cities as the triangle area. That will help when you ask future questions..

Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Just so you speak our language here
Unless you actually mean that you have been transfered to a job in the Research Triangle Park,
we refer to the 3 cities as the triangle area. That will help when you ask future questions..

Noted. Sorry, I'm a half-back in Charlotte. Much to learn.

The job is just south of RTP, wanted to emphasize that I am looking between the three cities.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaRelocate View Post
Noted. Sorry, I'm a half-back in Charlotte. Much to learn.

The job is just south of RTP, wanted to emphasize that I am looking between the three cities.
I wasn't being nick-picky (hate that)
I just thought it may help you when asking about areas to live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary