Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roooferhenry View Post
I dont know what the triangle area is, thats why I came here to learn more about the state. It so happens that my friends are in that area, and they really love it there. My friend says "takes some getting use to, buy good people make it all worth it"
The "Triangle" = Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill / Cary area. One specific region of North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
I am really not trying to be rude, but why wouldn't you ask your friends about the area? I would trust a friend before I trusted a stranger.

Once they answer the basic questions, come back here with the specific questions that you are still unsure of. Maybe they said something like "I don't have kids but there is always something going on at the baseball field". And you come on here and say "How are the recreational sports programs in XYZ town?" Know what I mean?

Again, not trying to be rude at all but "talk to me a little bit about the area" is so vague that I'm not sure what kind of productive discussion could come of it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 23,097 times
I was simply looking for personal subjective opinions from the folks who live there ...

Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Subscribe to the News and Observer. Read the various threads on moving to NC. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of posts on what people think about moving and living here. Come visit your friends. See what you think.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I am really not trying to be rude, but why wouldn't you ask your friends about the area? I would trust a friend before I trusted a stranger.

Once they answer the basic questions, come back here with the specific questions that you are still unsure of. Maybe they said something like "I don't have kids but there is always something going on at the baseball field". And you come on here and say "How are the recreational sports programs in XYZ town?" Know what I mean?

Again, not trying to be rude at all but "talk to me a little bit about the area" is so vague that I'm not sure what kind of productive discussion could come of it.
I agree that the question is a bit on the vague side to spark a productive discussion.

That said, this area is terrific for everybody.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
May be this will help, I am 43, she is 37 and our kid is 7 ... we are very family orientated and love big city admenities but a small town friendliness.

We are looking for a quite place, where we can say hello to the neighbors, grow veggies in the back yard, hike and so on ...

Also interested knowing what people think about the school systems, since education for my child is vital to me.
From your screen name, is your job in roofing? What kind of firm would you be considering applying for work at? I know someone in the roofing business in Durham.

Quiet, small towns are all over the state, and most will have friendly neighbors. it would help if you narrow down your preferences a bit more. Does the religion, politics or ethnicity of your neighbors matter to you?

If you will read through a few threads, you will get more of the flavor of living here. There are strong differences between people born in the state and the transplants. For example, here: Do you believe North Carolina will be able to stay culturall Southern?

Regarding school systems, there are over on hundred different ones, on for each county, so it is hard to generalize. The best-regarded system is Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Many transplants are moving to Wake County, which is generally very good, but it is in a state of change. Read here: General Wake County Schools discussion (2012/13 school year)

Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Oh I know, whats the hot radio station there ? I bet I can learn a ton about the area listening to the areas hot talk radio station(s)
There is not one radio station for the whole state that is 'hot'--again, have you narrowed down your search to any specific part of NC? It's a big state covering from the beach to the mountains. You should visit first, research the job opportunities in your specific field, narrow down area, then ask specific questions like radio stations. For someone planning to move here, you don't seem to know much about the geography?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Raleigh is a place where "right to work" means "right to work for less".

If you're a union member, salaries here may be a real shock.

Raleigh's a nice city but it depends on what floats your boat.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Raleigh is a place where "right to work" means "right to work for less".

If you're a union member, salaries here may be a real shock.

Raleigh's a nice city but it depends on what floats your boat.
True. And most places with a lot of union activity have... Higher taxes.

And if they don't? They're not on the lists of most desirable places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary