Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,723 times

Advertisements

This house I've had my eye on is still for sale...an old old home, and the current owners put vinyl siding on there 3 years ago. It sounds like this may have been done because they thought it would increase value...not decrease it (the home is so old it decreases it)

I think I've heard that the siding actually damages the planks beneath so when you remove it you have damaged wood that may have once been fine - does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 PM

43,272 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
This house I've had my eye on is still for sale...an old old home, and the current owners put vinyl siding on there 3 years ago. It sounds like this may have been done because they thought it would increase value...not decrease it (the home is so old it decreases it)

I think I've heard that the siding actually damages the planks beneath so when you remove it you have damaged wood that may have once been fine - does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Thanks!
Well, it has to be nailed to something. And the nails go through whatever is underneath. If it is wood siding, it will have nailholes. If they also nailed up some foam insulation under the siding, those nailholes will be there also.
If the house is wood sided, the wood may be a mess.
If it is asbestos shingle siding, you may be opening Pandora's box.
They probably didn't put vinyl up because they were tired of painting. It's just as likely because the old siding was deteriorated and it was better to put up vinyl than to do a repair.

Let us know how you make out...

Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 AM

Hm this must be why the house is still on the market in this neighborhood, grr...sounds like it might be more trouble than worth. I couldn't live with the siding in this particular house (maybe in a new one...but not in a 1901 house!). OK this one's not mine...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, it has to be nailed to something. And the nails go through whatever is underneath. If it is wood siding, it will have nailholes. If they also nailed up some foam insulation under the siding, those nailholes will be there also.
If the house is wood sided, the wood may be a mess.
If it is asbestos shingle siding, you may be opening Pandora's box.
They probably didn't put vinyl up because they were tired of painting. It's just as likely because the old siding was deteriorated and it was better to put up vinyl than to do a repair.

Let us know how you make out...

Old 06-09-2007, 06:21 AM

43,272 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Hm this must be why the house is still on the market in this neighborhood, grr...sounds like it might be more trouble than worth. I couldn't live with the siding in this particular house (maybe in a new one...but not in a 1901 house!). OK this one's not mine...thanks!
Ohhhh, I'm curious.
What is the address?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:24 AM

It seems to be in Old North Durham ... sigh...

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

If it didn't have the siding, I may have broken my lease for it AND paid asking price (providing a drive-by and inspection didn't yield weirdness)

No vinyl siding on 100+ year old homes! There oughta be a law!!!!

Last edited by scorp200; 06-09-2007 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: edited to add I would have bought it

Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,406 times
Quote:
It seems to be in Old North Durham ... sigh...

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

If it didn't have the siding, I may have broken my lease for it AND paid asking price (providing a drive-by and inspection didn't yield weirdness)

You could still present an offer pending the outcome of your inspection. I wouldn't let the siding throw you off too much. It sounds like someone did a remodel and was trying to keep the price down

Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I live in a neighborhood in Portland where the homes are 80-100+ years old. I know several people who removed said blasphemic vinyl from old homes. While I don't know of the expense or difficulty (people go to great lengths financially and work wise to restore homes in my area), I do know it can be done with a beautiful end result. However, I doubt the original siding underneath is the same in Oregon as in NC. I think mostly oak and fir was used here. Not sure about NC.

I still think it's worth checking with a realtor regarding how you find out the condition of what is underneath.

It looks like a wonderful house. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I live in a neighborhood in Portland where the homes are 80-100+ years old. I know several people who removed said blasphemic vinyl from old homes.
LOL to "blasphemic vinyl"!

It's worth a drive-by at least...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 19,372 times
When tearing off old vinyl siding or installing blown in insulation from the exterior, the main focus should be that you will have holes in the weather barrier (building paper,house wrap,breather foil ect..).Water potection is all about the weather barrier. Most buildings have a building paper. If it is older than 25 years chances are it has broken down and you now have water intrusion issues. Like a roof, The underlayment is the core of protection. Paint and calk will not create the needed barrier.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,184 times
Wow, they did that to a house in Old North Durham, that is just horrible. I can understand it in my little bungalow neighborhood with a 50 year old house, but wow to do that to a true classic.

It would be an expense to tear off and redo it. Basically sanding, filling, resanding, repainting. And that is not even repairing whatever they were hiding under the siding.

My house had siding put on over a porch and the fascia, I just got done tearing out out because they did a bad job and the old wood rotted. Mine was an easy $200 material and 2 days on a ladder repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary