Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:12 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times

Advertisements

So first of all I'd like to thank everyone for some of the advice I have gotten on threads that I started on this site. I have an accepted offer for a house in Apex. However, i have one more question for the board. The house did not have screens on the windows (although they clearly did initially).
The homeowner claimed he got rid of them a long time ago. Not a huge deal, but I realized about half the homes in the area also had no screens. The house inspector told me today that it is not uncommon because there are very few days where you can have the windows open. I thought it was strange with the number of nice autumn and spring days, but he said the pollen around that time of the year can be unbearable so many people choose not to open their windows
Is this true in your experience? I would hate to think that leaving your window open is so uncommon that many people do not even bother to have screens on their windows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Typically you will lose a month of open windows in the spring due to pine pollen. Fall would be more subject to any allergies you might have.
The majority of our screens are stored in the attic, but we have screens in our rear facing upstairs windows and can open our screened porch adjacent kitchen windows. This provides good air circulation without having to keep screens in all the windows. Houses tend to have much better street appearance without screens.

Frank

Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
As others have mentioned, the are a few weeks in April or early May when the "green plague" (pine pollen) is wafting through the air settling on everything in its path. Other than this time of the year, on nice spring and autumn days, I love to open my windows to let in the fresh clean air. Summers are just too hot. So, yes, I use my screens.

I also have a screened porch so I can also open the door in my kitchen leading to the porch to get fresh air. Friends of our built a new home last year and removed all the screens downstairs. They use their porch for fresh air and find that the screens prevent good sunlight.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
It is true that you will find many homes in the area without screens on the windows. However, it's not true at all that there are very few days you can have the windows open.

Our last house did not have screens, but the windows were standard size (most are), so it was easy, and cheap, to buy new ones at Home Depot.

For the most part July and August, January and February are the only months that we keeps the windows shut most of the time. That's also not even 100% completely accurate, because on weekends like the last one, when it's over 70 outside in January we open the windows.

The Spring pollen might keep our windows shut for 5 days at most, and even then we'll keep them open at night.

I guess it all depends on allergies, personal preference, and your house setup. I like to keep our house between 68 and 73 year round, and somehow that's pretty easy to do with the windows open a good amount of the time.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:54 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Houses tend to have much better street appearance without screens.

This I don't understand. Is it a southern thing? Why would a house without screens have a better appearance? It would seem the opposite to me, to have the option to open a window is ideal imo

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think once we got air conditioning in the South we wanted to keep all the cold air in so we shut 'em up tight.

We live in an older house and do have screens. Don't open the windows a whole lot, but on a really beautiful day we do.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
If you like fresh air, full window screens are inexpensive. Measure the window and go to Stock Building Supply. They sell screens for less than $20.00 each.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
We have our windows open as often as possible. We have screens. . . . and a lot of Swiffer dust cloths. I drive a convertible and have the top down as long as the temperature is above 60F. . . even in light rain. I don't understand people that live all couped up in conditioned filtered environments.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
I would hate to think that leaving your window open is so uncommon
that many people do not even bother to have screens on their windows
I couldn't live that way.

When you're ready to do screens:
Window Screens Made to Order - Custom Screening

Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
It's true that many people down here never open their windows - as one of my neighbors said, "when you see an open window you know they are from up north".

Sooooo, we are from up north, and I like the windows open when it's nice out. Not being able to open them would make me crazy. My neighborhood was built by different builders, and one of them didn't put screens in the houses, supposedly that's how you can tell who built those homes here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary