Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Ewwww.

Shaffer: Raleigh crawls to No. 15 in bedbug rankings - Shaffer - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Interesting! It says that Durham is lumped in with Raleigh on that list. My parents stay in Durham when they come visit us, and voila, they found bedbugs in their home this past fall. They had not stayed anywhere else, so they are pretty sure they got them in their hotel. And my mom thinks she saw the evidence of one when she stayed there, but wasn't sure what it was at the time. Needless to say, it was a nightmare and quite expensive to eradicate the bedbugs.

Since their experience this past fall, I am fanatical about checking for bedbugs before staying anywhere. There is a bedbug registry that you can check (self-reported, but it's something) www.bedbugregistry.com before you go to a hotel. Also, when you get into a hotel room, check the corners of the bed between the mattress and the boxspring. Look for small bugs or black or brown spots. Don't put your suitcase on the bed. Ideally, you would put it in a plastic bag. Bedbugs like soft, squishy things like pillows and mattress, and tend toward beds because they don't like movement.

I never knew bedbugs were a problem down here, but I am aware now. I do not want to go through what my parents went through to get rid of them!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
All of a sudden going camping as a vacation is looking better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Interesting! It says that Durham is lumped in with Raleigh on that list. My parents stay in Durham when they come visit us, and voila, they found bedbugs in their home this past fall. They had not stayed anywhere else, so they are pretty sure they got them in their hotel. And my mom thinks she saw the evidence of one when she stayed there, but wasn't sure what it was at the time. Needless to say, it was a nightmare and quite expensive to eradicate the bedbugs.

Since their experience this past fall, I am fanatical about checking for bedbugs before staying anywhere. There is a bedbug registry that you can check (self-reported, but it's something) www.bedbugregistry.com before you go to a hotel. Also, when you get into a hotel room, check the corners of the bed between the mattress and the boxspring. Look for small bugs or black or brown spots. Don't put your suitcase on the bed. Ideally, you would put it in a plastic bag. Bedbugs like soft, squishy things like pillows and mattress, and tend toward beds because they don't like movement.

I never knew bedbugs were a problem down here, but I am aware now. I do not want to go through what my parents went through to get rid of them!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
there is now a "Bed Bug List"? . .

Okay, I am officially starting my own "Stupid Things People Put on Lists" . . . if they can do it why can't I?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Ugh I stayed in a horrible hostel in Bangkok and awoke in the morning to find a full bed bug next to me. So disgusting. I'm still amazed none of them hitchhiked home in my luggage.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I definitely do a bed bug check at any hotel I stay at. Just because a hotel is nice, doesn't mean they won't have bed bugs, as bed bugs seem to affect all classes of people (you just won't hear about it as much from middle to upper classes). I actually found one in my apartment a few years ago after I had come home from work (and had to be an a very unsavory place for work that day). A few days later the place I had been at was in the paper for being infested *shudder*. I moved out for 2 weeks and had the apartment treated. I also put diatomaceous earth everywhere (it's pet friendly) and put the lone bed bug I found in a bag with some of the powder. It killed him, so that helped me sleep at night. There was no evidence of any other besides that one, thank God. Now I follow self made bed bug precautions when I'm out places for work (don't sit anywhere, don't brush against furniture, wear pants that don't hit the floor). Call me paranoid, but I don't want to deal with that again!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I hope the Wegman's corporate folks aren't reading this forum. They'll never move here now. Or maybe they'll send in some low flying helicopters to spray for bedbugs at night before making them move?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Oh My...what next?!! NC makes the list of places that doesn't have New York pizza?!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary