Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,374,621 times

Advertisements

I was in Kroger briefly today for the first time. It seemed to me that it was more expensive and had less selection than Harris Teeter? Is my assumption correct? I had high hopes for Kroger but we rather disappointed. I was at the one near New Hope Commons in Durham. Are there items that I should look for at Kroger that are unavailable at Harris Teeter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,665,901 times
My Kroger (an older one) is dirtier but generally cheaper than Harris Teeter. I cannot imagine why someone would shop there except that it's cheaper.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM

16 posts, read 78,221 times
In my opinion, they are both expensive. I haven't found a grocery store with good prices except maybe Super Target. I do think Harris Teeter is the cleanest and and nicest though.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,633,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
I was in Kroger briefly today for the first time. It seemed to me that it was more expensive and had less selection than Harris Teeter? Is my assumption correct? I had high hopes for Kroger but we rather disappointed. I was at the one near New Hope Commons in Durham. Are there items that I should look for at Kroger that are unavailable at Harris Teeter?
May vary...not think it's more expensive...you have to shop sales at both to come out a ahead.

I prefer Harris Teeter meats (if I don't shop Costco or BJs for them) and their produce is better (unless you catch the Kroger on the day it arrives). Dairy is cheaper at Krogers overall, but they don't carry Greek yougurt.

We actually like Kroger's house brand of selzer water, and for the price it's worth a trip alone. (2.10 a 12 pack...cheaper on sale - the shelf is almost always empty because people buy it when they see it, you have to ask if they have any in the back).

So....I end up hitting both for their sale items. I do the same with Lowes and the others (other then Food Lion...YUCK!)

Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,029,642 times
It depends, Jackie. For instance, the Kroger near my house is much larger than our Harris Teeter, so it has a greater selection. As for prices? Well, I admit that I watch the circulars and just buy my items wherever they're on sale. I'm not terribly loyal!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocruise View Post
In my opinion, they are both expensive. I haven't found a grocery store with good prices except maybe Super Target. I do think Harris Teeter is the cleanest and and nicest though.
Now I think Super Target is expensive for food overall (at least the one in Wake Forest). We will pick something up if we notice it on sale...but it's not a place I would do a big grocery shopping trip to.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
It depends, Jackie. For instance, the Kroger near my house is much larger than our Harris Teeter, so it has a greater selection. As for prices? Well, I admit that I watch the circulars and just buy my items wherever they're on sale. I'm not terribly loyal!
**HIGH FIVE**

Yup...shop the sales! Each store has their strengths and weaknesses.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,653,670 times
I agree. Groceries at SuperTarget and Walmart are both more expensive than shopping sales at Harris Teeter or Lowes. I go to the Lowes and Harris Teeter at Davis/High House in Cary and pretty much only get sale items. Shopping sales means variety in my pantry and fridge. I found Krogers disappointing (the prices weren't any better, and the store is actually quite a bit longer of a drive, so I'm a bit biased). I won't shop at Food Lion any more because of the filth and the fact that prices are not any lower.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,705,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
I go to that one. It's much cheaper than HT. I get my bread from HT b/c it's cheaper.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,665,901 times
I agree about Super Target prices. I've never found them cheaper than the grocery stores. I go back and forth between Kroger, HT and Lowes but if I didn't care about price I'd stick to HT except for lunch meat from Lowes (they cary Boars Head).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary