Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM

18 posts, read 73,957 times

Advertisements

We (me and my wife) are looking to finally buy a house and stop paying rent. We are currently looking to buy either in Morrisville or Cary (around RTP). My wife works in RTP so we wanna stay near her work and we have been in this year for few years so we like this place too.
So far mostly in our budget we found only Townhomes , like the ones at Kitts Creek near 540. But I am bit apprehensive about living in a towne home as it seems similar to a apartment as they share walls etc. Second option was we found a house around Sharon road which falls under Durham and its a community being built by KB homes. It has wonderful kitchen and price is good for our budget but thing is its just bit away from our preferred area. I work near to Wakemed Cary so for me it would be just too far. But we saw house and it does fit our needs and we like it.

Few concerns being newbies first we dun know how is reputation of that area around Sharon road , I mean we dun know abt if value of houses will rise there in future or will stay same or fall. As we are sure values around Morrisville area will always be good.

So what are advices , suggestions and tips for newbies here. We have some time before we make decisions but just need some people helping us getting to know more about it , like what we need to pay attention to , what kind of things are sign of good construction and what are poor ones etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM

170 posts, read 362,851 times
whats your budget?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM

around $200,000

Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM

120 posts, read 248,519 times
Talk to a realtor...

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
what about downing glen or park village? There are definitely some smaller home that are not attached, also in your area, that meet your criteria.

I would also say hook up with a good buyer's agent, it doesn't cost you a thing and they know the area!

Leigh

Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenGuyInNC View Post
Talk to a realtor...
and not the ones on-site at the new homes. Find friends who have used Realtors before, and what they thought about their experience. Then talk to the agents who gave your friends a good experience.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post
We (me and my wife) are looking to finally buy a house and stop paying rent. We are currently looking to buy either in Morrisville or Cary (around RTP). My wife works in RTP so we wanna stay near her work and we have been in this year for few years so we like this place too.
So far mostly in our budget we found only Townhomes , like the ones at Kitts Creek near 540. But I am bit apprehensive about living in a towne home as it seems similar to a apartment as they share walls etc. Second option was we found a house around Sharon road which falls under Durham and its a community being built by KB homes. It has wonderful kitchen and price is good for our budget but thing is its just bit away from our preferred area. I work near to Wakemed Cary so for me it would be just too far. But we saw house and it does fit our needs and we like it.

Few concerns being newbies first we dun know how is reputation of that area around Sharon road , I mean we dun know abt if value of houses will rise there in future or will stay same or fall. As we are sure values around Morrisville area will always be good.

So what are advices , suggestions and tips for newbies here. We have some time before we make decisions but just need some people helping us getting to know more about it , like what we need to pay attention to , what kind of things are sign of good construction and what are poor ones etc.
Most of your townhomes are produced by tract home builders, and basically, you are going to hire a home inspector to help identify flaws.

I agree with Leigh, that you might consider a detached home resale rather than just a new home.

And you might consider Breckenridge. Some of the "detached townhomes" are quite affordable.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenGuyInNC View Post
Talk to a realtor...
Will surely do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
what about downing glen or park village? There are definitely some smaller home that are not attached, also in your area, that meet your criteria.

I would also say hook up with a good buyer's agent, it doesn't cost you a thing and they know the area!

Leigh
will check those but thing is we do not plan to buy old house. I mean couple of years is okay but older than that is not okay with wife because she wants a modern kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and not the ones on-site at the new homes. Find friends who have used Realtors before, and what they thought about their experience. Then talk to the agents who gave your friends a good experience.
Spoke to a friend , she suggested a Agent that helped them and several others , will speak to agent on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Most of your townhomes are produced by tract home builders, and basically, you are going to hire a home inspector to help identify flaws.

I agree with Leigh, that you might consider a detached home resale rather than just a new home.

And you might consider Breckenridge. Some of the "detached townhomes" are quite affordable.
will Look into that too , we do have some friends living in the area too.

As couple of our choices were being built by KB homes and Ryan , both have some awful reviews on internet. So if we plan to go with them def. will need a good house inspector and make sure we do not end up heartbroken.

Does someone know difference in taxes between Wake and Durham counties? Where it would be less?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Your taxes will be lower in Wake County for similar housing.

Construction quality, taxes, location, are all things that your agent should easily be able to help you with.
Technically, agents are restrained from trashing out builders who deserve it, unless talking directly to a client. That is why you generally don't see agents chiming in negatively on builders in a public forum.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0z3d View Post
Will surely do that

will check those but thing is we do not plan to buy old house. I mean couple of years is okay but older than that is not okay with wife because she wants a modern kitchen.

Spoke to a friend , she suggested a Agent that helped them and several others , will speak to agent on Friday.

will Look into that too , we do have some friends living in the area too.

As couple of our choices were being built by KB homes and Ryan , both have some awful reviews on internet. So if we plan to go with them def. will need a good house inspector and make sure we do not end up heartbroken.

Does someone know difference in taxes between Wake and Durham counties? Where it would be less?
Wanting a brand new home for that price anywhere but in the most rural areas of Wake County is going to severely limit your options. What exactly is a "modern kitchen?"

I'm not a realtor, so I will say that some tract builders seem to be better than others. I guess if you're choosing between KB and Ryan, I'd say Ryan over KB... But, toss a coin? Because neither would be nicer tract than a Drees or M/I, for example.

Visit homes. Look at them being constructed. Pay attention to the finish detail. Are the walls straight?

Go visit sites from a variety of builders that are as close to your price range as possible. Even if some are a little over.

You really do need a realtor, because you should look at a few older, well-maintained homes.

You may discover that the price and quality are better on a resale in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary