U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,905 times
Default Homeserve Water Line insurance coverage

Does anyone know if we need this kind of insurance in Cary to cover our outside water lines? I have read reports that this in not necessary in some places, but needed in others. Is this company on the up and up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM

811 posts, read 851,996 times
The 6th Google search entry was:
EWEB to customers: Beware of 'water line insurance' offer | Business | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

It might not be illegal, but it's like insuring your mailbox against tornadoes - really not a good use of your money.

Insurance is basically a wager: you are gambling that the event (the risk) will happen during the time covered by the policy.
AND the cost of fixing the problem will be more than than the cost of paying for insurance.
AND you also have to figure in the firm: Will they still be around to pay? Will they decide to pay? If they pay, will it be enough?

Unless you have several neighbors emulating Old Faithful the geyser, I really doubt you should expect any failures in 20-30 years.
From reading about this specific company, it sounds like the other answers are dubious.

Last edited by Ed_RDNC; 01-31-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM

8,382 posts, read 8,947,041 times
I have mine insured thru PSNC. I know the risk of failure is small, but had some neighbors in NY who had this problem and it's $$$ to fix. For $4 a month I'll pay it to make me feel better.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM

919 posts, read 1,024,166 times
I, personally, don't think it's worth the money. The cost of repair isn't worth the hassle of going through an insurance agency. If it is enough of an expense to repair, then you can file against your homeowner's policy.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM

3,478 posts, read 5,506,373 times
Virtually the only time I see a house in need of water/sewer line replacement is this:

- Polybutylene supply lines from the street in use from 1978 to 1995 (the closer you are to 1978, the more problems they had with the pipe)

-Cast Iron drains in houses from the 1960's and before typically due to tree roots and with the older houses (1950 and beyond) the pipes nearing the end of their life expectancy.

- Extensive landscaping with heavy machinery traversing the yard where the drain is located

In modern houses using PVC drains ( standard for last 30 years or so) it is not near the hassle in many cases as they can scope the drain, determine where the break is, and just dig down and replace that section. The exception would breakage or tree root damage in numerous areas. Houses built since 1996 use PEX from the street for water supply and it is as close to problem free as you can get with plumbing. Older houses with copper may nearing or past their typical life expectancy however. You can verify what you have by entering the crawlspace, looking for the water supply pipe (typically on the front foundation wall) and see what they used. Copper is obviously Copper, PEX is a milky white, and Polybutylene is a gray. You can see what your main sewer lines are as well (typically 4" drain that will be at or near ground level leaving the foundation, also typically the front wall). White for PVC, Black for ABS, or Cast Iron.

(There are of course exceptions or flukes, no plumbing systems are perfect)

The insurance is cheap, but read the fine print. Warranty companies are not in business to pay out claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary