Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

OK, here's the deal. When we were married, my ex and I had often talked about cashing out of the expensive Northern VA area and going somewhere where the cost of living was cheaper and the pace was easier. The RTP area ticked a lot of boxes for us in terms of employment, proximity to extended family, cost-of-living, etc. Now that we're each single and trying to pay rents and motrgages alone, we're struggling and we've decided to put our escape plan into action anyways.

My ex and I accepted an offer on our house in Northern VA last night. We close in less than a month. We have kids who will live with her most of the time, and she's looking Cary. Most of the houses she's liking (online searches mostly) seem to be very close to rt 55. So I'm looking for advice on where I should look.

1. I want to be close to my kids. Preferably no more than 15-20 min away.
2. I prefer a more urban setting. I'd *love* to be able to walk to some dining, bars, shopping, etc. I realize that may not be possible given #1.
3. Raleigh vs. Durham vs. Cary: I visitied Durham recently and liked the Wearhouse District/Old North Durham section of Durham. That area seems to be undergoing some gentrification. However, I don't have tattoo-sleeves or a scraggly beard; I mean, I like indie-rock as much as the next guy, but the whole vibe just didnt suit me. I'm a clean-cut, jock-ish software engineer! I was only there for a weekend, so I don't want to write off the whole city, but that's my initial impression. Would Raleigh suit me better? And all 3 cities seem to be overflowing with new mcmansion-type developments. I'm assuming there's nothing for a single guy in a community like that; am I wrong?

If it helps, I don't have a job yet, but my job search is nearing its conclusion. It looks like my job will either be in Morrisville, Pittsboro, or Ft. Bragg. What's the commute like down to Ft. Bragg?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Raleigh vs. Durham vs. Cary: I visitied Durham recently and liked the Wearhouse District/Old North Durham section of Durham. That area seems to be undergoing some gentrification. However, I don't have tattoo-sleeves or a scraggly beard; I mean, I like indie-rock as much as the next guy, but the whole vibe just didnt suit me. I'm a clean-cut, jock-ish software engineer! I was only there for a weekend, so I don't want to write off the whole city, but that's my initial impression. Would Raleigh suit me better?
You'll find the "DIY"/hipster scene in both cities as well as Carrboro and Chapel Hill. Probably even a smudge in Cary, too. You'll also find it's not a pre-requisite for getting along with folks. Part of it is the district you were in (which I assume, if bordering Old North Durham, was actually the Durham Central Park district by Motorco, Fullsteam, etc.) Downtown, American Tobacco, Brightleaf Square, Ninth Street would have shown you a different "vibe," as it were. Would suspect that, in either the Durham or Raleigh case, it'll be about finding the right group for you to hang out with in either space.

(Speaking as a late-30's professional male, tattoo-free, living right outside downtown!)

Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
i agree with bull city rising on his assessment. i wonder if you might like some areas like the watts-hillansdale area (see WHHNA). this might make a commute to pittsboro or morrisville more tolerable while allowing you an area that is not some of the cookie-cutter feeling. honestly, downtown raleigh would likely suit you well but i personally never want to commute to pittsboro on a daily basis from there. as for fort bragg, i woudln't want to commute to there from the triangle area, at all. my husband commuted to fayetteville when he was an adjunct at fayetteville state & it took him 1hr, 15min from our home in southeast raleigh. some people do live in holly springs or fuquay-varina & commute to fayetteville, but i suspect those will not be the vibe that you prefer.

may i recommend that you & your ex review the general moving thread for an overview of the area & then that may allow for more specific questions from there?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Last edited by LoopDeLoop; 01-31-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSassyMolassy View Post
OK, here's the deal. When we were married, my ex and I had often talked about cashing out of the expensive Northern VA area and going somewhere where the cost of living was cheaper and the pace was easier. The RTP area ticked a lot of boxes for us in terms of employment, proximity to extended family, cost-of-living, etc. Now that we're each single and trying to pay rents and motrgages alone, we're struggling and we've decided to put our escape plan into action anyways.

My ex and I accepted an offer on our house in Northern VA last night. We close in less than a month. We have kids who will live with her most of the time, and she's looking Cary. Most of the houses she's liking (online searches mostly) seem to be very close to rt 55. So I'm looking for advice on where I should look.

1. I want to be close to my kids. Preferably no more than 15-20 min away.
2. I prefer a more urban setting. I'd *love* to be able to walk to some dining, bars, shopping, etc. I realize that may not be possible given #1.
3. Raleigh vs. Durham vs. Cary: I visitied Durham recently and liked the Wearhouse District/Old North Durham section of Durham. That area seems to be undergoing some gentrification. However, I don't have tattoo-sleeves or a scraggly beard; I mean, I like indie-rock as much as the next guy, but the whole vibe just didnt suit me. I'm a clean-cut, jock-ish software engineer! I was only there for a weekend, so I don't want to write off the whole city, but that's my initial impression. Would Raleigh suit me better? And all 3 cities seem to be overflowing with new mcmansion-type developments. I'm assuming there's nothing for a single guy in a community like that; am I wrong?

If it helps, I don't have a job yet, but my job search is nearing its conclusion. It looks like my job will either be in Morrisville, Pittsboro, or Ft. Bragg. What's the commute like down to Ft. Bragg?

Thanks.

I would make sure where your job is before committing to a n'hood. Fayetteville is a LONG haul, more so from N. Raleigh or Wake Forest, for example.

If you end up in RTP, you might look to a couple of areas in Cary--the first being the area around Kildaire Farms/Cary Parkway/64. If it floats your boat there is an amphitheater there with some great summer shows (saw Sheryl Crow there), there's a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods and some other fun places. You can also try Cornerstone in Cary (High House and Davis), which would put you very close to your kids and to bike lanes if you like biking. Raleigh could have a fun vibe for you--if you live inside Raleigh proper--try CAmeron Park. Durham's warehouse district didn't strike me as hippy/artsy, really, so I would've recommended it especially if you like baseball. The Bulls games are a lot of fun!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Yeah, Ft Bragg would be tough trying to stay within 20 minutes of your kids. Even Fuquay and Holly Springs are around an hour to Ft Bragg.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I would make sure where your job is before committing to a n'hood. Fayetteville is a LONG haul, more so from N. Raleigh or Wake Forest, for example.

If you end up in RTP, you might look to a couple of areas in Cary--the first being the area around Kildaire Farms/Cary Parkway/64. If it floats your boat there is an amphitheater there with some great summer shows (saw Sheryl Crow there), there's a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods and some other fun places. You can also try Cornerstone in Cary (High House and Davis), which would put you very close to your kids and to bike lanes if you like biking. Raleigh could have a fun vibe for you--if you live inside Raleigh proper--try CAmeron Park. Durham's warehouse district didn't strike me as hippy/artsy, really, so I would've recommended it especially if you like baseball. The Bulls games are a lot of fun!
Agree with others about the commute to Ft. Bragg. Ouch.

Any of the other areas will put you in a painless commute time to your kids if your ex chooses the 55 corridor. Might be more than 20 minutes, but it won't be the 20 minutes to go 3 miles that you're probably used to. You can actually cover a lot of ground without too much aggravation here in 20 minutes.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
One thing to keep in mind is that Cary is BIG! You could both live in Cary and be 30 minutes apart. I know you say she is looking at 55 now, but, you know...

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSassyMolassy View Post
3. Raleigh vs. Durham vs. Cary: I visitied Durham recently and liked the Wearhouse District/Old North Durham section of Durham. That area seems to be undergoing some gentrification. However, I don't have tattoo-sleeves or a scraggly beard; I mean, I like indie-rock as much as the next guy, but the whole vibe just didnt suit me. I'm a clean-cut, jock-ish software engineer! I was only there for a weekend, so I don't want to write off the whole city, but that's my initial impression.
If you liked the area, definitely don't write it off. I'm a 4+ year resident of Old North Durham, just down the street from the Central Park area and Motorco/Fullsteam, etc. I'm a tattoo-free, clean-cut, software trainer in my early 40s, and my wife is a veterinarian. Many of our neighbors are professionals, too - doctors, professors, ministers, nurses, law enforcement officers, etc. You certainly don't have to fit the hipster mold to fit in around here.

I certainly wouldn't want to make the drive from here to Ft. Bragg, though. It would be good to nail down the job location first.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
For sure, nail down the job, then think about housing. Are you looking at homes, condos, apartments? are you looking to rent or buy? These all make a big difference. Are you looking for small town feel or more in the middle of things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary