Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times

Advertisements

Anybody know of a Durham or Chapel Hill bank that has a change counter? We've checked with BBT and BoA and none of those branches have one. Am not interested in paying 9% at one of the coinstar thingys, so if y'all have an idea where else we can try, we'd appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Anybody know of a Durham or Chapel Hill bank that has a change counter? We've checked with BBT and BoA and none of those branches have one. Am not interested in paying 9% at one of the coinstar thingys, so if y'all have an idea where else we can try, we'd appreciate the help.
At least at most Raleigh branches, the State Employees' Credit Union has them--but I would presume they are only for members, because it gives you a ticket that you then take up and deposit. Maybe you know someone who belongs, who could go with you, deposit your ticket and then just write you a check?

What I do when I start building up too much change is just go to the self-serve stations at the grocery store and pay in coins. Granted, I usually don't have a lot, and I put the balance on a debit card (since you're putting it on a card, it doesn't matter if the change comes out "right" as far as "gotta be xx.27 since my bill is YY.27"--just put whatever coins in there and the rest on card. So if I have 1.73 in coins and my bill is 14.32, it doesn't matter--I'm paying by card either way, it just saves me 1.73 in my account).

How much do you have in coin? Obviously I wouldn't dump a whole jar of pennies into a self-serve checkout, but even, say, a handful at a time, will get rid of a lot of it (especially the smaller coins; you might want to just roll quarters and dimes since the time expenditure is worth more).

Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Anybody know of a Durham or Chapel Hill bank that has a change counter?
When I was a kid rolling coins was one of our chores.

Dad would bring home the wraps and keep an eye on the quarters and dimes.
My brother and I would split the pennies and nickles.

Today I save the quarters (in 35mm film cans) and dimes.
Nickles and pennies never make it home anymore (put in the charity box on the counter).

Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Coastal has them but only for members. They don't give you cash, you have to make a deposit and then withdraw how much you want. Perhaps a member can help you out. I don't think I've ever been in another bank branch down here. I know TD Bank has them for everyone to use, but I don't know if there are any around here.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I use Coinstar and do not pay any surcharge. There is one at Lowe's Food. I'm not sure they all work this way but if you have the amount put into an account with Amazon the transaction is free. They just give you a special number that you type into your Amazon account. Sooner or later there will be something you can buy with it...books are not the only thing available through Amazon, as you know.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Most food lions, and some Lowes Foods have Coinstar Machines. That's probably your best if you are not with the State Employees or Coastal Credit Unions. More reasons why Big Banks arent always best.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM

606 posts, read 903,119 times
Don't rule out coinstar. Check out the website. You can avoid the surcharge if you put it on a gift card and they have several to pick from. We put it on the Amazon one as someone mentioned previously. We buy a lot from that site so it works for us.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM

334 posts, read 867,184 times
You're not a member of a Credit union? Best deal in NC. They provide much more service than the big boys. Coin counting machines at no cost to members is one example.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Thanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
One other reason to use a credit union.

To protect themselves against fraudulent objects inserted into coin rolls (both ends quarters and steel washers in the middle), they make you write your account number on each roll.

Do you want your checking account number going to anyone who gets change rolls at the bank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary