Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times

Advertisements

I got my root canal done over a month ago and need to get my crown done.

My current dentist has become out of network, so looking for a new one. (My dental plan is metlife PDP).

Any recommendations? I am in Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
I just had a Crown done with Dr. Leech on the corner of 55 and 54 in Durham (right off I-40). This is my second crown, but first done by him and he was much better than the previous dentist. I highly recommend him.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 18,139 times
My dentist, who I think is great, just used a relatively new procedure for making and installing my new crown - and the whole thing only took about 1.5 hrs. I didn't have to be fitted for or wear a temporary crown for a week or two. I didn't have to make a second trip to get the permanent crown.

Just want to be sure you know about this procedure in case you want to consider looking for a dentist who is performing it. Not sure what it's called - maybe 3D Printing Dental Crown.

I don't have dental insurance and the cost was under $1000 which I understand is about the cost of a regular crown requiring a temporary crown and two visits. Anyone know whether I'm right about this? Edit: I think my crown was rather simple, not complex, and a more complex one might cost more.

My dentist is Dr. Matthew Bereman, on Spring Forest Road in NE Raleigh, and he took one picture (3-D) of my tooth before he began work, drilled the tooth to remove the damage and accept the crown, took another 3-D picture, used the pictures to guide a machine to mill my new crown out of a small block of porcelain (I heard the machine working as I sat in the dental chair), installed the resulting crown on my tooth, and it was done.

I think the 3-D pictures allow the dentist to get the shape of the crown right really fast (and you don't have to depend on the dentist getting impressions right and the lab building the crown right, etc.) After inserting the crown Dr. Bereman only did a little reshaping with a drill to get the fit right.

One question I didn't ask (but will during my next visit) is what is the expected life of this crown. I just assumed it would be at least as long as a regular one given that it's made of porcelain, but I don't know.

So far I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by orr142; 02-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orr142 View Post
My dentist, who I think is great, just used a relatively new procedure for making and installing my new crown - and the whole thing only took about 1.5 hrs. I didn't have to be fitted for or wear a temporary crown for a week or two. I didn't have to make a second trip to get the permanent crown.

Just want to be sure you know about this procedure in case you want to consider looking for a dentist who is performing it. Not sure what it's called - maybe 3D Printing Dental Crown.

I don't have dental insurance and the cost was under $1000 which I understand is about the cost of a regular crown requiring a temporary crown and two visits. Anyone know whether I'm right about this? Edit: I think my crown was rather simple, not complex, and a more complex one might cost more.

My dentist is Dr. Matthew Bereman, on Spring Forest Road in NE Raleigh, and he took one picture (3-D) of my tooth before he began work, drilled the tooth to remove the damage and accept the crown, took another 3-D picture, used the pictures to guide a machine to mill my new crown out of a small block of porcelain (I heard the machine working as I sat in the dental chair), installed the resulting crown on my tooth, and it was done.

I think the 3-D pictures allow the dentist to get the shape of the crown right really fast (and you don't have to depend on the dentist getting impressions right and the lab building the crown right, etc.) After inserting the crown Dr. Bereman only did a little reshaping with a drill to get the fit right.

One question I didn't ask (but will during my next visit) is what is the expected life of this crown. I just assumed it would be at least as long as a regular one given that it's made of porcelain, but I don't know.

From my experience, under a $1000 is a low price. My dentist is in Miami and he charges $1500 (with half covered by my insurance).

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
From my experience, under a $1000 is a low price. My dentist is in Miami and he charges $1500 (with half covered by my insurance).
Actually, that's about right. I had a crown done in DC and it was about $950 and my most recent one (about two weeks ago) was also around $950. Maybe Miami is more expensive?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orr142 View Post

It's called cerec.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 AM

29 posts, read 55,930 times
If your willing to go to Carrboro (they also have other centers), check out Piedmont Health (Piedmont Health). They take most all insurance, do great work, and charge half the price of most private dentists.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 AM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klh121560 View Post
If your willing to go to Carrboro (they also have other centers), check out Piedmont Health (Piedmont Health). They take most all insurance, do great work, and charge half the price of most private dentists.
Thx. I called them. But they want to do a comp exam and if needed deep cleaning before doing crown on the tooth I had root canal done (while I know that I can get a crown done first per my endo and my dentist on that tooth). In short they want to do more.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
University Dental has been good to us. They have 17 offices.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,354 times
The reason why many of these offices can offer lower priced crowns is because they are having them fabricated in China- There have been cases where some Chinese made crowns contained lead.

I'm not saying this is true for all offices offering lower priced crowns. What I am saying, is that it's a business, and for a business to remain viable there has to be profit. When the price is lower, another area needs to be compensated for profit to remain. The main area this occurs is in the lab used to make the crown, and the newest trend is for them to be Chinese made- It's going to be in your mouth for a while, I'd make sure you know where your crown will be fabricated. Not all Chinese-made crowns have lead but there have been cases where it's been found. Many of the larger "chain" type practices go this route- Just something to be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary