Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

And I thank everyone for their thoughts and recommendations. It clarified our wants and needs. You guys are great.

So now I'm gonna ask for MORE help. (remember, we're screen in porch virgins)

The builder installed the concrete pad and the roof, which is held up by two large, decorative round columns. In order of cost:

One estimate suggested ripping out the columns, and using wood 6X6 posts. The screens would be set into the wood and not removable.
One estimate suggested ripping out the columns, and using wood 6X6 posts, and installing custom screens that could easily be removed for cleaning.
One estimate suggested using aluminum, but would be able to keep the decorative posts. The screens would not be removable.
I have one more estimate to get, who is going to suggest vinyl PVC. I have no idea of the cost on that one.

We are older and don't want a lot of maintenance, which makes us think the aluminum or vinyl is the way to go, but the aluminum was considerably more expensive. Keeping the decorative columns would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.

We really didn't have any idea that this would be so complicated! Help, please? And if anyone has suggestions for companies that we should consider calling, please speak up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And I thank everyone for their thoughts and recommendations. It clarified our wants and needs. You guys are great.

So now I'm gonna ask for MORE help. (remember, we're screen in porch virgins)
My wife and I lost our screened porch virginity a couple of years ago ... and the last two years have been awesome.

It's hard for me to visualize the columns - maybe a pic that shows part of the house too? Hard to tell from here how well the columns integrate vs PT 6x6 - although painted 6x6 posts can look nice if you want to avoid the rustic look.
I would definitely make sure the screens are set in frames and not stapled to the wood. While it seems easier to mount the screen/frames on the inside - that creates a great "catch" for all sorts of debris. So mount the screens on the outside.
As far as cleaning the screens - a hose with a spray attachment works well. We put a hose bib inside our porch.

Frank

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Yes, put a picture on this thread because what I envision is something like a 20' column supporting the roof....what this is and why it even there I don't know.
The PVC is what the entire thing is made of? Uh, not into the plastic look but the maintenance is easy. I'm also not a fan of aluminum. My porch is made from treated, painted lumber and the screens are removable. I'm going to have to paint it sooner or later :-(
One word of advice: be sure they put screening material under the floor to keep the bugs out.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Likely a shed style roof coming off the rear wall with 10-12' columns at the rear corners. I assume you basically have a covered patio that is not closed/screened? Wood can be adjoined to those columns, and look really good, but will take some creativity and skill. You can also remove them and go with rough sewn squared columns, or concrete blocks faced with stone for example if you are not into the standard 6x6 pressure treated supports.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Our screen porch is made of wood 2x4s with the screen stapled directly to them, and although it would be sheer hell to replace, I wish they were vinyl-covered posts with framed screens. We live in the woods, and had a terrible problem of mold growing on the underside of the porch ceiling, which was also wood. Finally broke down and had foam insulation installed, followed by vinyl soffit for a ceiling. Sure, it's plastic, but I'm really glad I don't have to clean it any more. Mold just doesn't grow on it. So I vote for vinyl.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
My screened porch has removable screens (aluminum frames around the screens which attach to the wood frame of the porch.

We've never once removed them or felt a need to.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I should have thought to include a photo in the first place. Sorry! Several can be seen at this link:

Patio Pictures

Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
I looked at your pictures, and have a hard time imagining how you would frame in a screen porch and keep those round columns. Even if it could be done, I think you would lose the decorative appeal of the round columns and they would look out of place with the rectangular lines of the screens.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
I looked at your pictures, and have a hard time imagining how you would frame in a screen porch and keep those round columns. Even if it could be done, I think you would lose the decorative appeal of the round columns and they would look out of place with the rectangular lines of the screens.
I originally thought so too ... but this link shows some pics that look rather well done. Maybe a bit grander than what the OP wants, but it would scale OK. I have no idea what the neighborhood HOA will think, but I would suspect that keeping the round columns would be favorable in any sort of architectural review.

Screened Porch With Round Columns Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas

Frank

Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I originally thought so too ... but this link shows some pics that look rather well done. Maybe a bit grander than what the OP wants, but it would scale OK. I have no idea what the neighborhood HOA will think, but I would suspect that keeping the round columns would be favorable in any sort of architectural review.

Screened Porch With Round Columns Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas

Frank
These look great, but the framing of the screens will have to be custom fitted to fit tightly next to the column.

When we had our screen porch done, the fitting was not great, as the average contractor does not want to fiddle with small tolerances. We had to caulk the cracks they left behind.

If the OP wants some like this, I suspect it would be expensive to find someone to do it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary