Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times

Advertisements

Before you know it, we'll refer to Falls Lake as The Falls Lake Bed. Sad. And scary. What happens should it really dry up? What are the contingencies?

In Calfornia, I rode motorcycles most of my life at El Mirage Dry Lake:

This actually know where that crack is located on this immensely huge lake area. Well, it was once a lake. Not anymore.

Man, if it came down to such a similarity with Falls Lake. Does NC have resources outside of the state like California does (actually, most of SoCal's water, if not all, comes from out of the state).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
El Mirage was a natural lake located in a desert. When it dried up, the result is what you've shown here. Falls Lake is actually a reservior so the situation would be much different. It is extremely unlikely that Falls would dry up completely due to the Neuse River which feeds it. The Army Corps of Engineers controls downstream flow of the river at the dam and could further restrict it to "re-create" the lake if need be. Even if they did not do this, Falls Lake would at least remain a waterway along the primary path of the Neuse River, and the former lake areas would eventually become reforested. I seriously doubt that scenario will play out in our lifetimes at least. We have too much infrastructure tied to Falls Lake, and we're always only a couple of good hurricanes away from full pond.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
El Mirage was a natural lake located in a desert. When it dried up, the result is what you've shown here. Falls Lake is actually a reservior so the situation would be much different. It is extremely unlikely that Falls would dry up completely due to the Neuse River which feeds it. The Army Corps of Engineers controls downstream flow of the river at the dam and could further restrict it to "re-create" the lake if need be. Even if they did not do this, Falls Lake would at least remain a waterway along the primary path of the Neuse River, and the former lake areas would eventually become reforested. I seriously doubt that scenario will play out in our lifetimes at least. We have too much infrastructure tied to Falls Lake, and we're always only a couple of good hurricanes away from full pond.
Yes, but you can only divert water from natural waterways for so long before it starts to adversely impact precipitation and water levels. Look at the Aral Sea in Russia, which has lost nearly half its area in less than 20 years due to over-population and over-irrigation in the surrounding areas. Not saying that this will happen in NC, but you might want to look at growth controls in the SE before the situation becomes critical.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/aral_sea_1989_2003.jpg (broken link)

UniMaps.com - Aral, the dying sea

Even the Colorado River no longer reaches the Gulf of California anymore due to water diversion to the desert Southwest states.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
The photos of Falls are far more alarming to me simply because the lake was full at the beginning of the summer. Lake Mead, as well as many other reservoirs in the desert SW, has been slowly dropping for about a decade now. I was on a houseboat on Lake Powell in fall of 2000 and there were calcified deposits 6' and higher above the waterline then. I saw the same thing when I went to Vegas and the Hoover Dam in 2001 on Lake Mead.
I take the opposite view....
I'd be way more concerned if a reservoir was dropping in level year-after-year. That implies that the precipitation simply doesn't exist to fulfill the water needs in the area.
However, since Falls Lake was completely full in the spring, it is reasonable to assume that it will be full again at some point in the not-to-distant future. So I view this as a temporary problem caused by an intense drought...not a systemic problem where Falls Lake is eventually going to be completely dry. For example, our problem could be fixed by simply increasing the holding capacity of Falls Lake (by dredging for instance) or building more reservoirs, whereas increasing the holding capacity of Lake Mead would do nothing.

BTW...North Carolina receives approximately 55 trillion gallons of rain every year. We capture and use only a very small percentage of that.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Awesome and heartbreaking photos, Mike and N-R-G.

Anyone in the Triangle who views them and does not practice conservation, by whatever means appropriate to them, needs to be thwapped.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Awesome and heartbreaking photos, Mike and N-R-G.

Anyone in the Triangle who views them and does not practice conservation, by whatever means appropriate to them, needs to be thwapped.
Well...let's not get carried away. Why is it heartbreaking? Falls Lake is a man-made reservoir....if it weren't for the dam, this lake wouldn't even exist. And the purpose of a reservoir is to store water during wet periods so that the water can be used during dry periods, so that we have a reliable water supply. And it's serving its purpose in that respect.

If this were a natural lake that we were sucking dry, then I'd call it heartbreaking. But it's not.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Arrow A message from your pal Govenor Easley

GOV. EASLEY CALLS ON CITIZENS TO CUT WATER CONSUMPTION BY 50 PERCENT
State Asks Community Water Systems to Increase Reporting, First Results Posted After Halloween

RALEIGH – Gov. Mike Easley today announced he is calling on citizens across North Carolina to cut water consumption by 50 percent between now and Halloween. In addition, he has asked each of the state’s public water systems to increase reporting to the state by recording the amount of water used daily and sending that information weekly to his office. The consumption totals will be made available to the public to help communities and the public monitor the success of water-saving measures.

“Between now and Halloween, I am calling on North Carolinians across the state to cut our water use by half,” Easley said. “Whenever you use water, cut the amount by half, whether it is taking a shower or washing the dishes. We all need to know whether this will be extremely difficult or easily do-able, but we do need to establish a baseline of water use to determine which water conservation measures are most effective. We likely will spot important trends and pick up valuable conservation methods that communities can share. I appreciate the cooperation from all of the state’s public water systems, local officials and our citizens.”

Easley said his office will collect and distribute this detailed water consumption information as long as the drought persists. As Easley noted in an address to the North Carolina League of Municipalities last week, the state is suffering from the worst drought on record and water resources are critically low. Water consumption must be reduced now and for the foreseeable future if we are to avoid a water supply emergency.

Starting today with “Operation Halve-It,” the governor’s office will monitor water consumption by the state’s public water systems, and after Halloween, the governor will release a list of those systems that have significantly reduced their consumption. Some communities, such as Siler City, have already asked residents to cut water consumption by 50 percent.

“With a full week’s report, we will be able to determine the amount of water saved by each community while our citizens give us their best effort to cut water use by one-half. This will be valuable information to have if we get to a situation where rationing is needed,” said Easley. “After Halloween, we may modify this request, depending on the success of ‘Operation Halve-It.’”

For citizens who have not started already, here are North Carolina’s top 10 tips for water conservation, some the governor has already mentioned, that can be used now to start saving right away:

1. Stop watering lawns and shrubbery at homes and businesses; do not wash down homes, driveways or sidewalks; do not wash cars; and restaurants should ONLY serve water when patrons ask.
2. Check your plumbing to be sure it is not wasteful.
3. Check for leaks and repair them. In a typical home, leaks amount to about 15 percent of all household indoor water use.
4. Use indoor water wisely. Turn off water while shampooing, shaving and brushing your teeth to reduce the time water is running.
5. Take time to locate your main water shut-off valve and the water meter in your yard. Knowing where the main shut-off is can potentially prevent the loss of thousands of gallons of water.
6. Use dry cleanup methods to reduce both indoor and outdoor water use. Instead of hosing off your driveway and patio, use a broom to sweep away debris.
7. Take advantage of free water. Catch rainwater from your gutters and use it to water your flowers and vegetables. Collect water from the bath/shower while waiting for it to heat up; use for watering plants.
8. Use appliances wisely. Run washing machines and dishwashers only with full loads to maximize efficiency.
9. Avoid washing vehicles. If washing is absolutely necessary, use a commercial carwash that recycles water.
10. Avoid using sink disposals for food scraps.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Well...let's not get carried away. Why is it heartbreaking? Falls Lake is a man-made reservoir....if it weren't for the dam, this lake wouldn't even exist. And the purpose of a reservoir is to store water during wet periods so that the water can be used during dry periods, so that we have a reliable water supply. And it's serving its purpose in that respect.

If this were a natural lake that we were sucking dry, then I'd call it heartbreaking. But it's not.
I don't disagree with you. But as with most lakes, Falls Lake is also a habitat for animals and a recreation destination, both of which are seriously impacted. So looking at it in total (as more than just a reservoir), it is heartbreaking.

Here's to a healthy recovery of the reservoir and it's entire ecosystem!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
We have been doing all 10 of those "tips for water conservation" and more in our home for a while and are using very little water. Does this mean that the gov wants us to cut our water consumption by 50% beyond the meager ration of water we're allowing ourselves already??? Honestly, I don't know where we could cut our water use further other than skipping showers and not doing laundry.

Easley's on the right path here, but this is too voluntary and too vague to make a huge difference IMO. Those of us who have been conserving will continue to do so, and those who've used water wastefully will, sadly, continue to do so within the confines of whatever water restrictions have been imposed on them.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:22 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Quote:
Those of us who have been conserving will continue to do so, and those who've used water wastefully will, sadly, continue to do so within the confines of whatever water restrictions have been imposed on them.
I think that some people are, in fact, more enlightened and attempting to make a change. But, unfornately when it comes to 'bad' habits, they can be hard to break if not simply due to one's own negligence. I do hope for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
For example, our problem could be fixed by simply increasing the holding capacity of Falls Lake (by dredging for instance) or building more reservoirs, whereas increasing the holding capacity of Lake Mead would do nothing.
Seems like this season would be a great opportunity to dredge up some more space in our present lake system in order to increase capacity (I'd even volunteer my property for some of the landfill they pull out). Budget permitting, of course. But it seems like a good idea, on the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary