Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash04 View Post
Vicki How true! I'm usually going about 73 mph and see allot of drivers passing me so they're already going way over the speed limit as is so now they'll be going faster once it's raise at 70 mph. Hopefully they'll be more police patrol but doubt it.

It's funny that I see more patrol on 64 going to Asheboro then anywhere else that I drive and I drive allot between High Point and Myrtle Beach.

Instead of raising the speed limit, they should put some $$$ towards road reflectors, drove to Wilson last night during the rain on 64/264 and could barely the road due to no reflectors, where's our road/gas tax going towards?
It does seem that reflectors don't get replaced - essentially just installed with new or resurfaced pavements. The plowing operations during the "snowstorm" two weeks ago removed many reflectors on the rural two lane roads around Raleigh.

In theory, raising the speed limit should raise gas tax revenues - after offsetting the new signage costs.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Speed studies have shown for decades that humans are most comfortable and engaged driving around 70 mph. When a speed limit is set at 55, many people will still drive around 70 mph, but when the limit is raised to 70, most people drive no faster than 80.

Cars have only gotten safer over the years, so increasing speed limits in some ways makes things safer since you reduce the speed differential across traffic and keep drivers more alert, so they aren't zoning out as the plod along.

At any rate, I'm glad the limit was raised.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Instead of raising the speed limit, they should put some $$$ towards road reflectors, drove to Wilson last night during the rain on 64/264 and could barely the road due to no reflectors, where's our road/gas tax going towards?
Scraping up reflectors during ice and snow is a common enough problem even in NC, but I guess the state DOT figures its cheaper and just as safe to use emulsion paint and to keep going around and gluing new ones down rather than bury them in the pavement.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
About time they raised the limit to reflect my driving pattern.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Speed studies have shown for decades that humans are most comfortable and engaged driving around 70 mph. When a speed limit is set at 55, many people will still drive around 70 mph, but when the limit is raised to 70, most people drive no faster than 80.

Cars have only gotten safer over the years, so increasing speed limits in some ways makes things safer since you reduce the speed differential across traffic and keep drivers more alert, so they aren't zoning out as the plod along.

At any rate, I'm glad the limit was raised.
There has to be a point of diminishing returns. i.e. people going 15mph over on a 55mph vs people going 7mph over on a 70mph road.

But I always see slower drivers (at the speed limit or below) as the true problems on the road. You'll never see a person driving fast creating a traffic backup.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
Quote:
I'm usually going about 73 mph and see allot of drivers passing me so they're already going way over the speed limit as is so now they'll be going faster once it's raise at 70 mph. Hopefully they'll be more police patrol but doubt it.
My guess is that they will set up a speed trap at exit 4 when it will drop from 70 to 65. People doing 75 will then be 10 over if they miss the sign.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
That sounds bogus to me.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
After visiting Raleigh my first time over a year ago I thought the limit was too low. I don't feel increasing the speed limit will make people drive faster. Most people are doing 70-80 anyways.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,608 times
Quote:
Vicki How true! I'm usually going about 73 mph and see allot of drivers passing me so they're already going way over the speed limit as is so now they'll be going faster once it's raise at 70 mph. Hopefully they'll be more police patrol but doubt it.

It's funny that I see more patrol on 64 going to Asheboro then anywhere else that I drive and I drive allot between High Point and Myrtle Beach.

I ride 540 towards raleigh every morning from Cary for many yrs. Yes, there are quite a few crazy ones that to 15 to 20+ over! Raising the speed limit is sending the wrong message. And when it rains, there are enough accidents.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
When I first moved here from VA I was blown away at the high speeds on back roads. 55 mph on 401 (Louisburg) when it was a two lane road was incredibly fast to me, since in VA 264 was 55 on an 8 lane highway.

IMO 65 mph is plenty fast, going 10 over (75 vs 65) over a 15 mile highway trip saves under 2 minutes. For around town driving the change is moot and is purely psychological.

That being said I travel on 540 and there is no reason the speed couldn't be 70, it's a wide open road with much less traffic than on say 440, which incidentally has a lower speed limit IIRC (isn't it 60?) but if you do that you are rear ended. I notice on 540 most everyone is doing 65-70, where as on 440, which is significantly more congested, folks routinely do 75-80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary