Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
It annoys me that downtown isn't in the center of town, but tucked into the north and east side of town.
It would be nice to have a centralized downtown given all of Cary's recent westward expansion.
I can't even think of a serious response to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
It annoys me that downtown isn't in the center of town, but tucked into the north and east side of town.
It would be nice to have a centralized downtown given all of Cary's recent westward expansion.
Quote:
I can't even think of a serious response to this.
Agree, but I'll try.

If you draw a circle that is Maynard (eg: The Cary Loop), and then another semi-circle that is Cary Pkwy (eg: Cary's outer loop), then put a dot where the bulls-eye would be, then you'd locate DT Cary. (Not sure that is what you were going for, but...)

And I think DT Cary is pretty awesome. Good food, good walking, and good proximity to most of the rest of Cary-Proper. (I don't account for all those annexed folks who needled their way into Cary Town limits.)

And the park seems interesting, but I also agree that the draw is the development stuff, and THEN the park is really nice to have. But without the draw, the people won't get there. It's a 'one hand washes the other' scenario.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,272 times
I agree that development is lacking on that end of Academy (really throughout almost all of downtown Cary) I have no problem with plenty of development on the block. The current plan takes the 13 acre block and plans for a 3-4 acre park in the middle.

I for one think a 5-6 acre park might be better, but even if they keep it at 3-4 acres, I hope they can lay out the block better.

If they're going to do what they have planned with the park hidden behind development on all sides, it's going to be invisible and therefore empty except when there is a specifically programmed event. If this park is really supposed to be the new signature gathering space for Cary then IMO it deserves to have some real frontage along some street or another. My opinion is that the signature park shoudl have frontage on Academy, Cary's signature street.

Last edited by orulz; 02-11-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
I agree that development is lacking on that end of Academy (really throughout almost all of downtown Cary) I have no problem with plenty of development on the block. The current plan takes the 13 acre block and plans for a 3-4 acre park in the middle.

I for one think a 5-6 acre park might be better, but even if they keep it at 3-4 acres, I hope they can lay out the block better.

If they're going to do what they have planned with the park hidden behind development on all sides, it's going to be invisible and therefore empty except when there is a specifically programmed event. If this park is really supposed to be the new signature gathering space for Cary then IMO it deserves to have some real frontage along Academy, Cary's signature street.
Raleigh spent $7 million to reopen Fayetteville Street.

I guess it is time to offer input to TPTB.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,886 times
I really hope y'all are also sending your input to the Town of Cary, as it is wasted typing on here.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I really hope y'all are also sending your input to the Town of Cary, as it is wasted typing on here.
Actually, it is not wasted time conversing here.
The thread has 241 views at this time, and CD has fabulous SERP placement.

We are spreading grassroots information and others who lurk are picking up on it.

Viva la City-Data!!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I rather doubt that the end result would be a park completely walled off by tall buildings on all sides.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I just drove by the lot across from the Arts Center and noticed that the $40,000 "sculpture" (er...brick tower) sitting in the middle of it has a huge crack all the way down one side of it!!!
What a waste of money!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I just drove by the lot across from the Arts Center and noticed that the $40,000 "sculpture" (er...brick tower) sitting in the middle of it has a huge crack all the way down one side of it!!!
What a waste of money!
That's part of the art process...the cracks formed while it was being fired.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I guess when it caves in crumbles to the ground, that will also be "part of the process".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary