Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times

Advertisements

Fyi Gigi's is a chain - not sure if you are looking for local vs corporate if you want to show them some of the local charm of the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
The Dancing Chocolitier in Falls River has the best cupcakes and cakes that I've ever had!

Kelly, the owner, is a professional pastry maker. You have to call as most of her business is not having cakes/cupcakes setting around all day so you may not find her there if you just pop in. Call to order.

My office gets a cake a month from Kelly, for birthdays. People in my office fight over the leftover cake!

The bakery at Lafeyette Village is YUCKY! I bought cupcakes, took them home and KNEW they were frozen. They were nasty and ended up in the trash.

Vicki

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM

71 posts, read 180,620 times
IMO, I would skip The Cupcake Shoppe. Everytime I havent gotten cupcakes there they are dry, like seriously too dry, plus the super sweet icing is a turn off for me. Ive tried several shops around here and have had the best luck with Sugarland and Gigis(all 3 locations). Cupcake Bite, Cupcake Bar, Sugar Buzz, Daisy Cakes are all hit or miss for me.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM

65 posts, read 112,089 times
The Cupcake Bar in downtown Durham is the best!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
If you're not opposed to buying from a big store vs. a local baker, Whole Foods cupcakes are great.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs189 View Post
IMO, I would skip The Cupcake Shoppe. Everytime I havent gotten cupcakes there they are dry, like seriously too dry, plus the super sweet icing is a turn off for me. Ive tried several shops around here and have had the best luck with Sugarland and Gigis(all 3 locations). Cupcake Bite, Cupcake Bar, Sugar Buzz, Daisy Cakes are all hit or miss for me.
yes - this. i've given the cupcake shoppe 4 different tries & always had the same terrible experience.

if you are talking about ordering cupcakes, i'd be inclined to go with edible art (Flavor Menu | Edible Art). they do have a cafe where you can get their confections but it's only open during the day (if they still have it open ... it used to be such weird hours that i would not often get by there until i had a raging craving for their amaretto cake).

if you are going to a shop, i'd lean toward sugarland at cameron village which is the newest sister store to sugarland of chapel hill (About Cameron Village Cupcakes at the Sugarland Bakery). i like gigi's cupcakes but they've been hit or miss for me.

i need to try some of the other recommendations on here.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
If you go to Durham on Friday to try the Cupcake bar, stop by Fullsteam as "Smiles" the cupcake food truck will be there from 6-10pm this friday. You can also treat your friends to a local beer at Fullsteam or walk around the corner to the new Cocoa Cinnamon coffee shop and have coffee/tea or another sweet baked good from Milk&Honey of Durham. All great local things to show a visitor!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
I'll third the Cupcake Shoppe on Glenwood. Love them.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
if you are going to a shop, i'd lean toward sugarland at cameron village which is the newest sister store to sugarland of chapel hill (About Cameron Village Cupcakes at the Sugarland Bakery). i like gigi's cupcakes but they've been hit or miss for me.

i need to try some of the other recommendations on here.
I find Sugarland terrible - simple icing recipe of sugar, sugar, sugar with everything in my experience, but I only tried it twice. I wouldn't go back.

If you're in Chapel Hill, head down Franklin St towards this little hole-in-the-wall chocolatier and bakery (it is a door and a few steps up) - the Chocolate Door. Its next to the Italian Pizzeria near the corner of Graham St. If you weren't looking for it, you'd miss it, but everything is fresh-baked and local. More important, its good!

Edit - Nevermind - I just checked and the closed last month. http://thechocolatedoor.com/

Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I find Sugarland terrible - simple icing recipe of sugar, sugar, sugar with everything in my experience, but I only tried it twice. I wouldn't go back.
i have tried something different each time but so far my favorite has been the lemon cupcake (had lemon curd filling with a not-too-sweet buttercream frosting with candied lemon zest on top. otherwise i tend to prefer the chocolate mousse cake (mmmmm), cannoli, or gelato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary