Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM

105 posts, read 361,904 times

Advertisements

I am from Fl and you can said Publix will blow HT away but again HT Is a great story Shop weekly only the Sale items and with Coupons I can walk out with 100.00 for less than 20-25.00 most weeks. Other things I pick up at WM and Us the price match for many of the things I buy at HT when on E-vic, I shop for a family of 4 adults and 2 children and pets so I watch all the sale, FL smell I will not go in to any of them ! Korger I would not walk across the parking spot to go in to rude .worker .sales are not as promised
. Back to Publix they are very much like HT in service/People friendly and they care for the staff, I know several HS kids that worked for many year thur HS and college .changing store as they when to college and then came back home in the summer, The Bakery is GREAT!!
Just have to wait and see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM

89 posts, read 135,520 times
I understand why you all don't like Kroger here in Raleigh - we have crap stores, but the huge Super Kroger stores are really nice.

Here is one in Roanoke VA shortly before completion - yes - this WHOLE buiilding is the Kroger's - monstrous - almost the size of a super Walmart.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...zHwtAhcOLFWSSY

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM

21,015 posts, read 27,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
According to the N&O, Harris Teeter is considering selling the company. Could this be where Publix steps in?

N&O article
Publix has started its Charlotte Division, its fifth, with no distribution center yet. (The division will be serviced by Atlanta Division facilities.) Acquiring Harris Teeter would give Publix (1) over 200 new stores, (2) entry into three states and a federal district (District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia), (3) two distribution centers in Indian Trail and Greensboro and dairy in High Point, and (4) positioning in the mid-Atlantic United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc smile View Post
I heard on the news last night wegmans are in talks. We have too wait and see.
I doubt Wegman's would want to extend itself from the upper mid-Atlatic United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvirginiafan1 View Post
I understand why you all don't like Kroger here in Raleigh - we have crap stores, but the huge Super Kroger stores are really nice.

Here is one in Roanoke VA shortly before completion - yes - this WHOLE buiilding is the Kroger's - monstrous - almost the size of a super Walmart.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...zHwtAhcOLFWSSY
I do not know if Kroger is seeking to increase its presence throughout the Carolinas. It has divested stores to Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter since the mid-1980s. Returning to previous markets to compete with Publix could cause other chains to be gobbled up, i.e. Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,085,502 times
God I hope Publix doesn't take over HT. For me, Publix means horrible produce, lackluster bakery/prepared foods and 11PM closing times. No thank you.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,331,368 times
HT does a good job overall. Can you find 'cheaper' prices in other stores; absolutely. Can you find cleaner stores; slightly. Can you find better customer service; hardly. If you become a eVic customers (its FREE), you can get outstanding deals via your email address.

Like anything else, you must shop around to save on groceries. But with HT eVic's, their double-triple-double-home run coupon programs one can save more than a 'single' dollar or two! Okay got a little carried away on the coupon program as I can't ever remember its name....but it saves money and that is what counts! or makes 'cents'?

So, if the N&O article has any factual content it would be sad to see them change hands. Where's the anti-bacterial soap?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,219,337 times
As long as they still have the Sub specials and sub points I'm okay with it I suppose. But the question remains, Why mess up a good thing. The best companies also decide on trying to sell when there is no good reason too. ex. Progress Energy.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM

84 posts, read 253,151 times
Add me to the list of people not impressed by Publix. They remind of me dirty operating rooms with their weird lighting and subpar perishable items like their produce. (At least the stores I have been in around FL!)

I will be really disappointed if HT sells themselves to Publix or Kroger. Booooo!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 38,194 times
I do hope it's not going to be Publix! YUK...we have Kroger for YUK! I love Harris Teeter and since moving to Garner, I love it even more since I have to go to Cary to shop (and to get Starbucks).

If they put in a Wegman's, I'll be a happy camper. I love their selection of olives at the open bar...and their produce.

For those who don't know Wegman's...it is similar to HT without the coupon specials and they have prepared food kiosks for all kinds of different bars. It puts Whole Foods and Fresh Market to shame (of course there are always some favorites in each of those markets) with the selection of prepared foods.

I, too, don't know what they would do with some of the smaller stores.

OK....now let's just get a HT or Wegman's in Garner...yes, I know there is one on 401 and 1010, but I mean White Oak. Or at least build onto Target for a Super Target with a Starbucks.

Yes, I'm so spoiled. ;-) These are really, really, really 1st world problems.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1111&bih=723

Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
See, I hate prepared food bars. I don't do buffets. Ick.

I dunno why. Just weirds me out.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,288,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I do like Harris Teeter's bakery and their subs.

Not a big fan of Publix. Never been to a Wegman's.

Life is just full of changes!!!

Vicki
Not a big fan of Publix either. Wegman's is like nothing I'd ever seen b4. The first time I was in one we were there for three hours! Huge! Deli takes up nearly the entire width of the store. Huge hot buffets next to it, one Chinese and the other Indian. Also a bakery & coffee counter (in addition to the Huge bakery with tons of made on the spot breads, doghnuts, bagels, cakes, pies, etc., etc), a made to order sub station and a pizza station, a cook to order burger bar. It's really amazing. Seems the HT has been trying to compete with adding a few of these in their newer stores but are quite small in comparison. Take a ride up to Fredericksburg. You won't believe it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary