Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Isn't Hawthorne the same group that turned the Shannon Road post office complex into the really pretty development it is now? The one that houses my beloved OnlyBurger. If so, I bet they're going to be a fantastic job. It seems it will be mixed use with a percentage for affordable housing. Sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken 77 View Post
Were is this ??
It's across Shannon Rd. from the Sam's Club/Target shopping center on the old South Square Mall site, behind the Taco Bell and Wendy's. There used to be a Kroger there and a few other things, including Sitar Indian Restaurant before it moved to the other side of 15-501.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Isn't Hawthorne the same group that turned the Shannon Road post office complex into the really pretty development it is now? The one that houses my beloved OnlyBurger. If so, I bet they're going to be a fantastic job. It seems it will be mixed use with a percentage for affordable housing. Sounds good to me.
Yep, they did that project as well as Brennan Station in Raleigh. A class-act company, glad to hear they may be ready to move on South Square.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Check it! I'm pretty excited about this:

Hawthorne Retail Partners - Shopping Centers - Locate A Center

Edited to note: I'm not usually a huge fan of these mixed use developments. I generally prefer restored buildings in downtown areas. But I think this will be really great for the neighborhood (and given that what's there needs to go pronto, all the better)

Old 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Check it! I'm pretty excited about this:

Hawthorne Retail Partners - Shopping Centers - Locate A Center

Edited to note: I'm not usually a huge fan of these mixed use developments. I generally prefer restored buildings in downtown areas. But I think this will be really great for the neighborhood (and given that what's there needs to go pronto, all the better)

The links to the Site Plan and Leasing Package pdf's aren't clickable on their website.

I'll believe this might happen when I actually see construction equipment at the site.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The links to the Site Plan and Leasing Package pdf's aren't clickable on their website.

I'll believe this might happen when I actually see construction equipment at the site.
Yeah, I know...

The sign at the site says coming in 2014 but really that's not that far away. Still hoping!

It would be nice if someday when I sell my house I can have "walk to University Marketplace" in the ad and it may mean something good

Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Quote:
I'm not usually a huge fan of these mixed use developments. I generally prefer restored buildings in downtown areas. But I think this will be really great for the neighborhood (and given that what's there needs to go pronto, all the better)
You're not a fan of mixed use? I am! I always said if I had big money, I'd revitalize the whole NC 54/55 area in Durham where the Big Lots is - just raze that whole area and redo it North Hills stylezzzzzzzz....but since I'm broke, it won't be happening.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
You're not a fan of mixed use? I am! I always said if I had big money, I'd revitalize the whole NC 54/55 area in Durham where the Big Lots is - just raze that whole area and redo it North Hills stylezzzzzzzz....but since I'm broke, it won't be happening.
Well, I like it - I just don't like everything so... new and manufactured. Given a choice between the two I'll gravitate toward revitalization of old buildings (like the tobacco buildings in Downtown Durham) every time. I'm just not so into the design that usually comes out of it...but I'd probably love those same buildings 40 years after they are built.

I think it'll work nicely for South Square, though. I do get the impression that it's going to end up looking a bit Southpoint area-esque, which is great for some and not as great for some, but an improvement regardless!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Well, I like it - I just don't like everything so... new and manufactured. Given a choice between the two I'll gravitate toward revitalization of old buildings (like the tobacco buildings in Downtown Durham) every time. I'm just not so into the design that usually comes out of it...but I'd probably love those same buildings 40 years after they are built.

I think it'll work nicely for South Square, though. I do get the impression that it's going to end up looking a bit Southpoint area-esque, which is great for some and not as great for some, but an improvement regardless!
I'm entirely with you, but folks like my parents are the complete opposite. They want something they envision as "urban" and "hip", but they spent their whole life out in the suburbs so the most "urban" they'll ever get is something like a North Hills, Southern Village, or South Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary