Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I sincerely hope we won't hold our children's education and Wake County's economic future hostage to prove a political point.
I think the Board has a lot of work to do between now and the vote to restore people's confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Schools are bursting at the seams and are over capacity. My sons school which is relatively new already has students in mobile classrooms. I will vote yes! More schools are urgently needed.
devil's advocate here - you're OK if your son is moved to the next new school?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
devil's advocate here - you're OK if your son is moved to the next new school?
I know you weren't directing that to me, but personally I'd prefer we go back to the choice plan where kids don't HAVE to move. Yes I know newcomers hated it (and therefore real estate agents hated it too), and it probably could have used some tweaks, but it was better than constant reassignments. I know it was difficult for those moving here to not have a base school, but personally I prefer that to ALL students having no idea what's going to happen 1 year out for their entire school careers.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM

105 posts, read 362,154 times
Well said water boy! I will vote yes If we do not start now building .when we need will be to late, Need for more local school . n many states before a housing area .townhomes schools are started , Build them first, Yes many thing could be cut but won't happen but yes we need schools now and then teachers!!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'm a pretty fiscally conservative guy, but school construction is needed in Wake if we want to make our children's future a priority. Good schools which include plenty of space for children to learn are a priority for any community to stay a thriving and healthy community.

The fact of the matter is there is not enough space for future Wake County children unless we start building a decent amount of schools. Will there me a time in our future where we won't be expanding as fast and new school construction can slow down, certainly, but now is not that time. Politics should have nothing to do with getting schools built. One of the few bond issues I will almost always vote yes for is for education. I'm sure there is always waste when it comes to tax payer money, but I don't want to think about what the alternative will be if we don't build enough schools and our current schools become even more over crowded.

There are going to be lots of smart, high income families that won't even think about moving to Wake County if we don't get our act together. These are the kind of families that we want to attract here if we want to continue to be a prosperous community.
Absolutely!

I always vote "YES" for all school bonds. We need new schools and also many of the older schools need to be updated, remodeled, etc. Can you imagine the bathrooms and cafeterias in schools that are 30 years old?!!

Vicki

Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM

60 posts, read 188,848 times
Quote:
I'm a pretty fiscally conservative guy, but school construction is needed in Wake if we want to make our children's future a priority. Good schools which include plenty of space for children to learn are a priority for any community to stay a thriving and healthy community.

The fact of the matter is there is not enough space for future Wake County children unless we start building a decent amount of schools. Will there me a time in our future where we won't be expanding as fast and new school construction can slow down, certainly, but now is not that time. Politics should have nothing to do with getting schools built. One of the few bond issues I will almost always vote yes for is for education. I'm sure there is always waste when it comes to tax payer money, but I don't want to think about what the alternative will be if we don't build enough schools and our current schools become even more over crowded.

There are going to be lots of smart, high income families that won't even think about moving to Wake County if we don't get our act together. These are the kind of families that we want to attract here if we want to continue to be a prosperous community.
Excuse me. As a New Yorker who is now making plans to move to Cary let me tell you something. Everybody wants good schools. I used to think as you did but up here the school boards abused the trust we placed in them. The current taxes on my home in a middle class suburb of Nassau County, Long Island are 13,500 per year. The school tax bite of that is 8,000 a year. Our district has 2 elementary schools built 1929 and 1936. 1 Jr. High built 1942 and 1 High School built 1957. People in this area can also send their kids to Parocial private schools at extra cost. My strong sugestion is that each school be a seperate voted on referendum. How much for the total package of new school "A". Once you have a price then raise the money for it. Do not give the school board the power to make debt or float-sell bonds. Once they have that power they will keep spending and spending and raising taxes without regard to your ability to pay. Remember 1 school at a time. raise the money, build it, and don't be liable for bond interest for the next 40yrs. cadillac811

Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM

260 posts, read 545,291 times
This exact opinion was vehemently stated not long ago, and I still don't understand the problem with it. School bonds have nothing to do with the politicians, but about building new schools. When so many children are in mobile units, new schools are needed - or at least remodeling and expanding current schools with larger structures.

I'm all for expanding the potential for better physical schools. It's good for all of us in Wake County, especially our children.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Excuse me. As a New Yorker who is now making plans to move to Cary let me tell you something. Everybody wants good schools. I used to think as you did but up here the school boards abused the trust we placed in them. The current taxes on my home in a middle class suburb of Nassau County, Long Island are 13,500 per year. The school tax bite of that is 8,000 a year. Our district has 2 elementary schools built 1929 and 1936. 1 Jr. High built 1942 and 1 High School built 1957. People in this area can also send their kids to Parocial private schools at extra cost. My strong sugestion is that each school be a seperate voted on referendum. How much for the total package of new school "A". Once you have a price then raise the money for it. Do not give the school board the power to make debt or float-sell bonds. Once they have that power they will keep spending and spending and raising taxes without regard to your ability to pay. Remember 1 school at a time. raise the money, build it, and don't be liable for bond interest for the next 40yrs. cadillac811

So, a tiny school system with 4 schools is failing with high taxes and we should narrow that to school by school? I would submit 4 schools is way too small and that's the problem. I wouldn't be totally against splitting Wake up some because it might be a bit too big but there is a definite benefit to economies of scale.

And I'm definitely in favor of growth (my industry is helped by it and my wife is from Long Island) but don't be the guy fleeing someplace because it sucks and then immediately try to make the new place just like the failed place.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:

Ya know...there IS that school board seat available!!! I'll vote for you!

Vicki

Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, a tiny school system with 4 schools is failing with high taxes and we should narrow that to school by school? I would submit 4 schools is way too small and that's the problem. I wouldn't be totally against splitting Wake up some because it might be a bit too big but there is a definite benefit to economies of scale.

And I'm definitely in favor of growth (my industry is helped by it and my wife is from Long Island) but don't be the guy fleeing someplace because it sucks and then immediately try to make the new place just like the failed place.
AMEN.

I've lived in county-wide school systems my whole life and Wake is the ONLY one to be in such a mess. And, yes, several of those experienced rapid growth similar to Wake's and yes, a couple of them were BIGGER school systems.

We have lived here long enough to have suffered through reassignments and a series of new "plans," none of which seem to have been given time to actually work. And I have been told by the assignment office that they can tell me NOTHING beyond 13-14. Nothing.

So, yes, I support the bonds. I've watched our teachers and our schools be stripped of needed funds, staff, and programs while they are simultaneously being crowded to the gills. Teachers have taken pay CUTS, never mind not had raises in years. We need the buildings and I don't mind my kids being reassigned to those new schools as long as the reassignment 1) makes sense and 2) my kids get reassigned with their peers, not cut away from them and sent to a school where they know NO ONE, and 3) there isn't a whole new plan in place the following year. I don't think voting for school bonds=idiot assignment plans; I think those assignment plans have come about despite the complete LACK of funding in recent years.

Schools are not supposed to be idealogical and partisan. I could send my kids to private school if I wanted that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary