Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,942 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with the Raleigh neighborhoods. I am interested in an apartment near the intersection of N. Person St and E. Edenton St in Raleigh, but from some crime maps it looks like it could be on the edge of a high crime area. Can any give me a local perspective on the safety of this area please?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
I live a few blocks from there, and have never once felt unsafe nor had any crime problems whatsoever. However, it is an urban area, so crime can and does occur to some extent, and it may be worth taking at least the most basic precautions (locking doors, not leaving valuables in plain sight, not starting trouble with strangers, etc.). And historically, the east side of downtown and ITB Raleigh has been the relatively higher-crime side of town, although crime rates there have been steadily declining for at least ten or fifteen years. And in Raleigh, the crime rates in even the "higher crime" areas aren't all that bad compared to comparable areas in lots of other similar cities around the country, albeit still substantially higher than in many of the more outer, suburban areas. So, personally, crime would absolutely not prevent me from wanting to live near Person and Edenton (and it fact, I do live fairly close to there). But different people have different thresholds of what they feel comfortable with. (For some people, even when an urban area is actually, objectively quite safe from crime, it can be hard for them to "feel" safe, for psychological and emotional reasons, which although irrational, are still very powerful and hard to overcome.) So, it's up to you as to what sort of environment you'd prefer and be comfortable in. But I think Downtown Raleigh in general, and the east side of Downtown in particular, is a terrific place to live and spend time, and crime definitely does not need to be a significant limiting factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary