U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM

165 posts, read 265,471 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any good restaurants in the area that serve swordfish? Most of the seafood restaurants I've looked at don't seem to serve it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
555 posts, read 969,295 times
In california we got swordfish all the time. I haven't found any in the general area yet

someone had sent me this info once when I asked the same question maybe it has something to do with it

Who is behind the "Give Swordfish a Break" boycott?

In August, 1997, an organization of recreational fishermen began a campaign in North Carolina, urging restaurants to stop serving commercially-harvested swordfish. Big-game sportfishing advocates are actively lobbying to prevent commercial fishermen from supplying swordfish to seafood consumers. Such allocation conflicts are increasingly commonplace across the U.S.
In January, 1998, the multi-million dollar "SeaWeb" campaign and the Natural Resources Defense Council (responsible for the 1989 "Alar apple scare") jumped on the bandwagon, launching a reverse marketing effort called "Give Swordfish a Break," urging restaurateurs and consumers to boycott North Atlantic swordfish

NRDC: Give Swordfish a Break

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM

34,639 posts, read 28,997,755 times
I think Bonefish does. I also think it's on the menu at the new Dean's Seafood.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 AM

86 posts, read 128,430 times
If you don't mind cooking it yourself, Harris Teeter has it for $7.99/lb this week. I don't recall seeing swordfish very often in the supermarkets around here.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,030,481 times
It will be frozen swordfish, not fresh, in the area of the country. Certainly that is the case at Harris Teeter. (Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but some want to know.)

Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM

1,506 posts, read 2,135,687 times
Actually 'fresh' swordfish is available in the area. Whole Foods; Fresh Market; and Harris Teeter carry it off and on. What HT has on sale this week is previously frozen though. IMHO swordfish is 100% better when fresh. Some fish don't seem to loose their favor as much as swordfish when frozen. A fresh piece of swordfish grilled is something special, previously frozen not so much.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM

I've gotten HT's "fresh" swordfish before - it had a distinct fishy taste which is very uncharacteristic of swordfish. Not sure if it was just that particular fish, but its so expensive that I'm hesitant to try again. When I lived in Cleveland, I never had a problem finding good quality fresh swordfish in the local grocery stores, and there were a few local restaurants that offered it as a menu item. Not sure why its so hard to find down here, especially in restaurants.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM

843 posts, read 1,857,661 times
I've had it on Special at the Outback Restaurant. Probably the same as the Bonefish Grill since they are owned by Outback.

I like getting the fresh stuff at Whole Foods and grilling it....

Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I've had it on Special at the Outback Restaurant. Probably the same as the Bonefish Grill since they are owned by Outback.

I like getting the fresh stuff at Whole Foods and grilling it....
Sounds like I might have to try Whole Foods and see how theirs is.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM

826 posts, read 1,686,314 times
You can also get some through Locals Seafood, which is local to NC! They are at various Farmer's Markets or if you order $25 or more (the swordfish is $16/lb), they will deliver to you!

Locals Seafood | Fresh from NC Fishermen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary