Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:19 PM

30 posts, read 79,155 times

Advertisements

Hi I just read your post. We went from CA to the Colorado front range and 3 years ago moved to Raleigh. I lived in Fort Collins, but my job took me to Denver quite frequently. We were in CO for 20 years. I loved Colorado, but in 2 decades, it really changed, especially the front range. Housing prices skyrocketed, traffic is a big issue, and I got tired of wearing gloves 6 months out of the year. Yes, there is lots to do in Denver, and CO in general, but how many times can you visit any attraction?

Look beyond that to experiences and socializing with friends and doing activities with others. Join a club or Meet Up group. There are over 700 groups in the Triangle area. I also subscribed to the Our State magazine a couple of years ago and still take it because it is such an excellent publication. I devour each issue and my list of places to visit in the state grows with each edition. There are just so many great historical sites to visit, and quaint mountain towns, festivals going on year round all over the state, vineyards, wild game preserves, etc. I also joined AAA and their magazine will give you interesting places to visit, great drives, festival information, etc. Channel 4 the PBS station has a show on Thursday nights too that profiles interesting things to do and see, everything from restaurants, to local museums, outdoor outfitters and activities such as white water rafting, zip lines, ropes courses. They also profile neat state parks, and natural areas. In 20 years, I felt like I had done everything in CO. Now I feel like I could spend the next 20 years exploring and doing all the good stuff in NC. It seems hard to beat the access to the mountains and the beach from the triangle, not to mention the two huge lakes, Jordan and Falls, as well as canoe and kayaking on the Neuse River, and all the wonderful hiking opportunities in Umstead park, Lake Johnson Park, and over 100 miles of paved biking trails known as the Raleigh Greenway. I love this greenway system! I also read all those freebie newspapers that come out weekly and found at the supermarkets (Indy, 919 Magazine, Boom, etc) and I find tons of activities going on around the city and the triangle. I think there is plenty of activities to keep one on the go around here.

Even though it can be hot in Raleigh for a couple of months, I find the year round weather aspect to be superior to CO. Also like that it's not so dry here as in the high desert. I like getting regular rain and I like that Raleigh is a city that is well laid out and traffic does not seem to be a problem. The schools are excellent and crime is low. I also like the fact that I can get in my car and in a days drive, I can be in NY, Cleveland, Wash DC, Memphis, Louisville, Nashville, Birmingham, Orlando, Tampa, Philly, Pittsburgh or anywhere in-between,.... somewhere entirely different. You can't do that in Denver, a days drive only gets you to the desert of Kansas, or the desert of Utah. You have to get on a plane in Denver to go somewhere significantly different.

The NC Zoo in Asheboro is only an hour and 15 minute drive. It's also the largest zoo in the country in terms of acreage. A weekend at the beach with your kids could provide lots of activities, including the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher, just south of Carolina Beach. A weekend in the mountains also offers tons of activities. Spend the money and take in the offerings, they will only be small ONCE. Go to PUllen Park and ride the train, rent the paddle boats, go to Carowinds amusement park in Charlotte, the State Fair, Raulston Auboretum at NC State, endless number of free festivals and music concerts around town, and around the state in the summertime. I find lots to do and see, even with small kids, if you just look.

I find Raleigh to be for the most part, a nice balance of a large city with a smaller feel. Cost of living definately beats the west coast or the CO front range. I'm staying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:24 PM

494 posts, read 1,386,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasearch View Post
My wife and I moved to Raleigh 6 years ago from Denver, CO for both work and to be within driving distance to family: wife is from Virginia, I’m a military brat. Life has been good since we’ve been here and we now have two small children one of who will be starting school in the next year and a half. We sold our home last fall and have been in a holding pattern trying to make that big final decision. We have been debating moving back to Denver but are questioning our perception of the grass is greener vs. reality. We like the fact that Denver is a very outdoor-centric, great weather (most of the time), a bigger metro area with more opportunities, more things to do with the kids (zoo, museums, water parks, hiking, aquarium, etc), and of course access to all the activities in the mountains.

The down sides are more expensive homes, harsher winters, I-25 traffic, limited water activities.

North Carolina is great for access to the mountains and the beaches but unfortunately it is extremely hard to do the beach with two kids as a day trip and nearly impossible to do that with the mountains from Raleigh. There are a few museums for the kids which have been great, but no local zoo, no local aquarium, no local water parks.

We are struggling to imagine what we will do with kids every weekend through elementary, middle, and high school. I realize when they get older they will have activities but the opportunities for exploring new things locally seems very limiting. However we do like the light traffic and the fact I can get many places around the triangle with no hassle. The airport is very easy to access as well.

What are others thoughts on this who have similar experience? How have the Wake County schools been for your kids? Would you bypass staying in the district and moving to Chapel Hill just for access to the public schools?

North Carolina has really grown on us since moving here. I have lived in Florida, California, Europe, Colorado, Oregon so I’m have not really been tied to a specific area my whole life.

It is surprising how many people here seem to be truly unhappy and unfriendly. In the grocery stores, malls, daily activities, etc. Not sure if these are transplants or locals but just something I have noticed.

This has been kind of a ramble but I’d like to hear from anyone who has moved to Raleigh from Colorado (or West Coast) and your impression or anyone who has recently left North Carolina for Colorado.

Thanks and appreciate the feedback...
Trust me when I tell you,If you have nothing positive to say about Raleigh,you will be slammed.IMO since you live here and are at a crossroad,your post absolutely belongs here.Your post if far more engaging then someone asking where is the best bbq for the one thousandth time.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM

204 posts, read 263,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Trust me when I tell you,If you have nothing positive to say about Raleigh,you will be slammed.
Yup and that's a real shame too when all people are doing is providing opinions.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:20 PM

19 posts, read 33,622 times
dasearch -- I am interested in what you and your family ended up doing.
We have a 1 yr old, are living in Chicago and are going to both Denver and NC good to check them out for a possible move. NC over Denver because of the weather, more job options for me, and lower cost of living. Denver - for more of a metropolitan feel and where we have a few friends.

I am nervous about your description of NC people as unfriendly. We did a move to Seattle a few years back. If you've heard of the "Seattle freeze", you know that people there can be very unfriendly and I don't want to experience that again.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 33,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalva View Post
Hi I just read your post. We went from CA to the Colorado front range and 3 years ago moved to Raleigh. I lived in Fort Collins, but my job took me to Denver quite frequently. We were in CO for 20 years. I loved Colorado, but in 2 decades, it really changed, especially the front range. Housing prices skyrocketed, traffic is a big issue, and I got tired of wearing gloves 6 months out of the year. Yes, there is lots to do in Denver, and CO in general, but how many times can you visit any attraction?

I find Raleigh to be for the most part, a nice balance of a large city with a smaller feel. Cost of living definately beats the west coast or the CO front range. I'm staying!

Thank you for your whole post. I am going to come visit parts of NC within the next week - particularly Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. I am also more recently from Denver - spent 11 years there with a three year break when I lived in Akron, OH.

I have to agree that the whole Front Range area has changed and continues to change. I returned to CO last year after moving to Crestone, CO for a few months - after being gone for nearly 9 months. My plan was to move back to the Denver area. However, when I would drive up to look for apartments, I noticed most definitely that the traffic had gotten worse, taking longer to get places and the drivers were worse than ever. I have an odd attachment to the area due to it feeds with me certain things culturally as an artist within various communities. However, I would not be able to afford a decent apartment there now, let alone a townhouse to buy in the future.

Colorado is also going to get hotter by 4 degrees over the next 40 years, based on a climate study I just read this morning. The longer I lived in Denver, the more I noticed the summers getting unbearably hot and everything just looking more and more brown. The air pollution from the traffic exhaust and inversion really isn't a help. And then you have all the folks wanting to move to the Denver area for tech jobs and legal cannabis. I think it is going to get like California in terms of cost and congestion.

Anyway, it is nice to see that someone who has lived along the Front Range finds things to appreciate in Raleigh. I noticed too that there are a lot of interesting meetup groups in that area if you look for them. That is one of the ways I make new friends and find interesting little adventures to take. I also look for volunteer opportunities.

I am in Michigan for now and I do appreciate lush greenery and moisture in the air. I didn't realize how much I've missed that.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM

596 posts, read 1,237,246 times
Quote:
My wife and I moved to Raleigh 6 years ago from Denver, CO for both work and to be within driving distance to family: wife is from Virginia, I’m a military brat. Life has been good since we’ve been here and we now have two small children one of who will be starting school in the next year and a half. We sold our home last fall and have been in a holding pattern trying to make that big final decision. We have been debating moving back to Denver but are questioning our perception of the grass is greener vs. reality. We like the fact that Denver is a very outdoor-centric, great weather (most of the time), a bigger metro area with more opportunities, more things to do with the kids (zoo, museums, water parks, hiking, aquarium, etc), and of course access to all the activities in the mountains.

The down sides are more expensive homes, harsher winters, I-25 traffic, limited water activities.

North Carolina is great for access to the mountains and the beaches but unfortunately it is extremely hard to do the beach with two kids as a day trip and nearly impossible to do that with the mountains from Raleigh. There are a few museums for the kids which have been great, but no local zoo, no local aquarium, no local water parks.

We are struggling to imagine what we will do with kids every weekend through elementary, middle, and high school. I realize when they get older they will have activities but the opportunities for exploring new things locally seems very limiting. However we do like the light traffic and the fact I can get many places around the triangle with no hassle. The airport is very easy to access as well.

What are others thoughts on this who have similar experience? How have the Wake County schools been for your kids? Would you bypass staying in the district and moving to Chapel Hill just for access to the public schools?

North Carolina has really grown on us since moving here. I have lived in Florida, California, Europe, Colorado, Oregon so I’m have not really been tied to a specific area my whole life.

It is surprising how many people here seem to be truly unhappy and unfriendly. In the grocery stores, malls, daily activities, etc. Not sure if these are transplants or locals but just something I have noticed.

This has been kind of a ramble but I’d like to hear from anyone who has moved to Raleigh from Colorado (or West Coast) and your impression or anyone who has recently left North Carolina for Colorado.

Thanks and appreciate the feedback...
Well if you want my 2 cents, I also find this area not a match for us as well, too far from the beach, and even further to the mountains, though both great areas, just too far as you said for a day trip! It is also a boring area, especially being a capital city. For us, we have no family here, and find it hard to make friends, mind you, we are empty nesters. Easy to make acquaintances, but friends, not so much... Hence we just listed our house, and hope to return to Florida ASAP, (our daughter is there, and don't like the colder than anticipated winter weather) ..... Good Luck in your decision making

Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 PM

596 posts, read 1,237,246 times
Quote:
Thanks. I did cross-post to the Denver forum. Not looking for someone to convince me to stay but just wondering a few things:
Others peoples thoughts after moving to Raleigh from Colorado and being here for a while. Just looking for opinions.

Not that we can't find stuff to do with kids. We are very active and have hit the museums, zoo, mountains, beach, Umstead, YMCA, etc. There is just a limited amount of "local" stuff to do. You can't drive to the mountains on a Saturday morning for the day. It's not very convenient to do a 5 hour round trip drive to the beach for the day either. People say 2 hrs but not from my experience and I'm not a slow driver. Add a stop for the kids each way and I figure 2.5 hours. How many times can you go to Marbles or the Durham Museum of Nature and Science? I will say the new Science museum in downtown Raleigh is excellent and one of the best I've seen anywhere! What else am I missing?

I'll create another post for thoughts on Wake County schools vs Chapel Hill schools. We don't have experience in either and can buy a house in either location if we stay so just want feedback.

thanks
I totally agree with you! It all depends what you are accustomed to and where you have lived prior to This area, some people on this forum don't get it, and love to say "some people wouldn't be happy wherever they live" everyone is entitled to their opinions! They can bash all they want... It's an opinion ! We all are entitled to our opinions !

Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Well if you want my 2 cents, I also find this area not a match for us as well, too far from the beach, and even further to the mountains, though both great areas, just too far as you said for a day trip! It is also a boring area, especially being a capital city. For us, we have no family here, and find it hard to make friends, mind you, we are empty nesters. Easy to make acquaintances, but friends, not so much... Hence we just listed our house, and hope to return to Florida ASAP, (our daughter is there, and don't like the colder than anticipated winter weather) ..... Good Luck in your decision making
Glad you finally pulled the trigger after 7 years. That is a long time to be unhappy with where you live. Life is too short in my opinion. Best of luck!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
We are in the exact same position being empty nesters. At first the area was ok but after so many years of giving it a shot we are moving on also. The kids finished school and left as fast as they could. For us it's about our culture which is severely lacking here, plus family and other interest. Some feel culture can be satisfied by going to a culturally similar restaurant and ordering a favorite dish but to us that is not so. Meetup groups were ok at first but they fall apart or not consistent. As opposed to others the idea of a big beautiful house with low taxes is not enough to keep us here. We can get the hiking trails, beaches, mountains, plus plenty of other attractions and many amenities elsewhere. I'm sure some may get offended with this post scratching their heads wondering how can this place be boring and not a fit for us after so many years but that's ok because as others have stated every place is not for everyone. If anybody feels discouraged by my post I will say it is not my intention rather simply providing my experience and opinion. So I close by saying, "been there, tried it, moving on!!" ;-)

Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Glad you finally pulled the trigger after 7 years. That is a long time to be unhappy with where you live. Life is too short in my opinion. Best of luck!
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary