Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM

173 posts, read 312,983 times

Advertisements

I strongly suspect that I have OCD (and have probably have had it for years). I would like to see either a psychologist or a psychiatrist to be evaluated for it. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that has experience in treating OCD? I'd prefer someone who would try therapy first instead of turning to medications immediately.

I thought about going to my primary care doctor first, but I know they will either just refer me to someone else (while charging me for an office visit) or just prescribe something and move on to the next patient. I'd rather skip the middle man.

I live in NW Cary so I would prefer someone relatively in that area, if possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM

101 posts, read 188,967 times
Hi,

My son has OCD and Anxiety disorder and he sees James Brown at Wake Psychiatry. But, he's a peds dr. We tried behavior modification and although it worked for a while, we did end up putting him on meds (Prozac) and have seen a significant change for the better.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
My wife has OCD which no psychologist in VA or NC has been able to treat effectively in the past. I took her to Duke, which is a long distance for me, but I was a wits end in terms of finding her appropriate treatment. She is now seeing a psychiatrist, as well as treating outpatient at their OCD clinic. They primarily use exposure therapy for overcoming compulsive behavior, but my wife has more of an obsessive type of OCD, and they taught her methods of self-therapy to use for that. She is significantly better now, but it's taken about 5 months of therapy, weekly visits. She's now going once per month, just for reminders, training, and self-therapy advice and suggestions.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,002 times
I recommend Duke University Medical Center, They have programs for OCD for children and adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary