Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM

41 posts, read 105,380 times

Advertisements

I've been researching and cannot find a SIMPLE answer. So......in keeping it simple:

What areas or sections of Raleigh do I want to AVOID as far as dumpy, crime rate, drug infested and **** roaches in the apartments?

I am a single white female in my 40's, not into loud places but not ready to retire yet either. Looking for an apartment complex of sorts with a pool, fitness center and laundry facility on site as well as some privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Anyplace where prices look too good to be true.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
As a general rule, the Southeast quadrant of Raleigh is the lowest-income and while that does necessairly mean "crime", in most cities that is the part of town you may want to avoid.

The City-Data Raleigh page has a map with income colored from purple (low) to yellow (high), though I don't like their color scheme. If you hit "options" (above the map) and move the Opacity to 100%, it makes it much darker and easier to see where the most "purple" areas are.

Again, low income does not mean "more crime", but it's a factor contributing to it. In general, the suburban areas north and west of downtown, plus the surrounding towns such as Cary and Apex have lower crime than older areas near downtown, especially east/south of downtown.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
If you want to avoid "dumpy, crime rate, drug infested ..." take a look around when you go to preview the apartment. Walk around in the evening. Chat with the neighbors, see what they say.

If you're looking for a place with a pool and a fitness center, likely you've already moved up a notch. Is the pool closed a lot for "maintenance?" Does the fitness center (look or smell) like it could use a good cleaning?

There are on-line reviews of apartments. Check them out. Be aware, of course, that some reviews will be written by management and staff and others by disgruntled tenants who didn't get their deposit when they moved.

Check out the crime stats maps online.

I've lived in some great places in low income neighborhoods and some overpriced, dreadful place in nice neighborhoods.

One thing you may want to try is a roommate situation while you check areas out. Or pick up the last part of someone's lease on a sublet.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,052 times
There are some pretty dumpy apartments in the NC State area along Gorman and Avent Ferry. Many of these were built in the 60s or 70s and are seriously showing their age, not to mention the rowdiness that sometimes comes with living near so many students.

I would also stay away from the complexes on Buck Jones Road.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM

334 posts, read 867,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Not to be difficult, but honestly, there are really very few if any areas in Raleigh that I would categorically advise you to avoid across the board. That's one of the really good things about Raleigh, that it (currently) has relatively few of those kinds of areas for a city its size. Historically the parts of Raleigh that have been considered the roughest and with the heaviest open drug dealing activity, and thus most reflexively avoided by many affluent suburban white people, have been the areas within a mile or two to the southeast of downtown. To some extent, that's still true, but it's a lot less true than it was even ten or fifteen years ago, as there's been considerable revitalization and cleaning-up in much of that part of town, and more or less gentrification has occurred in many places. Much or most of the southeastern quadrant of Raleigh is now an area where I would live and would feel comfortable recommending you to live, and in fact I do currently live in that general area and enjoy it a lot. Still, there definitely are some bad buildings in that part of the city, but it really varies enormously from block to block and building to building. And actually, in terms of crime rates and other quality-of-life measures, even the "worst" places in Raleigh really aren't all that bad compared to many comparable cities. So while there are some specific spots that someone in your situation maybe should avoid, I certainly wouldn't tell you to avoid that whole area altogether. But there really are few if any if the kinds of large apartment complexes with the sorts of amenities you described in that part of the city anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

Beyond that, probably the densest concentration of rental housing in Raleigh that's more like what you're looking for but maybe should be avoided by someone with the kinds of concerns you expressed is the "Mini City" area, which is the area aound the intersection of Capital Boulevard and Millbrook/New Hope Road in North Raleigh are several relatively inexpensive apartment complexes in that vicinity that have become somewhat notorious in recent years for criminal activity. Again, compared to tough neighborhoods in many cities, even the Mini City ones really aren't that bad, but since there are so many other good options around the city and the region, it might make sense for you to steer clear.
Apologizes to the OP Tompope sees everything through rose tinted glasses. If i were to give you good factual information my post would be deleted.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
I lived in Mini-City 8 years, and that area has gone bad. It's not as obvious as some other areas but, trust me, avoid it.

I now live in, and am Community Watch captain, in Northridge Crossings. It has a good pool, clean fitness center, and fine maintenance. Virtually crime-free and decent rents.

Check us out. Northridge Crossings | Raleigh, NC

Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,736 times
yes, avoiding mini-city was my first thought too!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,285 times
I'd avoid SE Raleigh, anywhere around NCSU, and Capital Blvd from downtown up to 540.

Just drive through apartment complexes and look at them: Are the cars old and junky? Are there toys all over the grounds?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I'd avoid SE Raleigh, anywhere around NCSU, and Capital Blvd from downtown up to 540.

Just drive through apartment complexes and look at them: Are the cars old and junky? Are there toys all over the grounds?
Good thought.

Northridge Crossings is off Capital but is clean and under control of an active, responsive staff. In front of my building reside a Jag and a Beemer. My Corolla is embarrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary