Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM

170 posts, read 362,851 times

Advertisements

WRAL is UNCs mouth piece. The N&O, USA Today, ESPN and the NY Times have had articles on the sham educations they were offering to keep athletes elegible and WRAL was no where to be seen. Dan Kane from the N&O had story after story about what is considered the worst academic scandal in college history and there was nothing from WRAL until they had no choice but to print something.

UNC is now threatening a student with expulsion because the honor court found her accuser innocent after the school coerced the victim into avoiding going to real law enforcement..........and WRAL has it as 5th story right after something about traffic patterns. They are always a week late with the stories on UNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcb26 View Post
WRAL is UNCs mouth piece. The N&O, USA Today, ESPN and the NY Times have had articles on the sham educations they were offering to keep athletes elegible and WRAL was no where to be seen. Dan Kane from the N&O had story after story about what is considered the worst academic scandal in college history and there was nothing from WRAL until they had no choice but to print something.

UNC is now threatening a student with expulsion because the honor court found her accuser innocent after the school coerced the victim into avoiding going to real law enforcement..........and WRAL has it as 5th story right after something about traffic patterns. They are always a week late with the stories on UNC
Then don't watch or go to their website. But it seems like you watch all the time to monitor how terrible they are? ok.....

Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Here I am thinking I'm losing my OTA WRAL signal and instead it's some soapbox nonsense. Phew.
Me too! My first thought was WRAL was pulling the plug because Greg Fishel had given them a 30 day notice on his retirement or something.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Then switch to WTVD and watch Fred Shopshire reporting from the middle of no effing where. Love that guy. If there's a hurricane, he's standing there in Kill Devil Hills waiting for the eye of the storm. A bar fight in Fayetteville, he's got the details.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Hey, I'm a fan of WRAL. I think they give a relatively balanced viewpoint.
For the most part they bring straight-forward news, and I find many of their specials/exposées thought provoking

Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM

334 posts, read 867,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcb26 View Post

You're right on this. I'll give two other examples of their selective reporting. When the actual facts in the Duke LaCrosse case came out WRAL was asleep at the wheel. They were very quick to originally plaster the LaCrosse players pictures on the evening news and their web site. Very very slow to report that the players were in fact innocent.
Case number 2. WRAL was weeks behind every other media outlet on John Edwards. It was like they were the last to have stories on what he was really like. Complete denial mode.
That's it.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Here's a secret: WRAL is in the business of selling viewership. You and I, and our eyeballs, are the product being sold. The news and other programming is just the means by which they draw in viewers. For them, the more interesting (or salacious) the story, the more viewers, and hence the more valuable.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I forget which story it was, but last year WRAL continued to run a story on their website, that had been proven to be false and full of errors, for a full day or two after everyone else yanked it.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Here's a secret: WRAL is in the business of selling viewership. You and I, and our eyeballs, are the product being sold. The news and other programming is just the means by which they draw in viewers. For them, the more interesting (or salacious) the story, the more viewers, and hence the more valuable.
And that is the truth!

Unfortunately, many people believe that the media is there to inform us. The reality is that they are there to sell papers, magazines, TV advertising, etc.

Sometimes I stop watching the news and reading the papers for a day or so just to get away from the negativity. That seems to be what sells best.

Too many people believe everything they read!

Vicki

Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Two times, I have caught minor medical/pharmaceutical language typos/mistakes and alerted them by thread. Both times they promptly responded and corrected their errors.

At least they are rocking the boat and making everyone talk!

I now live in San Diego and all they care about is what happens in Hollywood and what millionaire is now a billionaire. No reason to check the weather here, as it is almost always in the 70s and sunny during the day, so they use attractive models/weathergirls to boost viewer #s and read statements pulled from the US weather agency. You have Greg Fishel, who at least knows what he is reporting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary