Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2006, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,099 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Raleigh area from Washington State to be near my family and help take care of my elderly mom. I've done a lot of research about Cary and the surrounding areas, and decided that Fuquay Varina looks like a good place. I have no children so schools are not an issue, but I do have concerns about crime in the Raleigh/Durham area as I'm a single female.

I currently work in the legal field and realize that I'll be taking a pay cut but also realize that cost of living is less expensive. What's the job market like?

Washington State has alot of outdoor/nature things to offer as there are many rivers, mountains, etc. I love to hike and fish and anything outdoors, so am concerned that there won't be much opportunity in Raleigh area to do so? Can anyone enlighten me?

Any comments (the good, bad, and ugly) are appreciated. Are there particular areas that I want to stay away from?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 08:18 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
The Fuquay Varina area is growing and has some wonderful new communities. I personally love the Cary area. I live in Raleigh, and have for 23 years now. I relocated from Conn. The cost of living is alot less expensive than alot of areas. I think you would be pleased with this area. If I can send you any info from the area ,just let me know.

Debbie

Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 PM

23 posts, read 112,206 times
Default Fuquay

I grew up in Fuquay and it has really changed a lot since I lived there. Not too much to do, though. The main growth that I've seen there is just chain restaurants and subdivisions. And housing prices are really going up. I live in Garner now, which is north of Fuquay, and really like it. There are lots of nice parks. My husband works downtown and it takes less than 15 minutes to get to work (8 miles from home). Garner is also very close to I-40, which makes it easy for travel. And I've really seen a lot of growth lately in town, with a huge new shopping center, large theater, more parks opening. We love taking our daughter to the parks and when we really want a workout, we go into Raleigh to the parks in that area, not too far at all. Traffic is actually pretty light here too, compared to what you would expect being close to a major city. It's quiet yet close to everything.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 24,130 times
Cary can offer you all the things you're looking for. Low crime rate, excellent health care facilities, easy access to all major roads. Fuquay is nice/rural. Travel to Raleigh can be a factor in not choosing Fuquay. Seriously consider Cary. Durham would/should not be considered.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Wow, this thread lay dormant for nearly 3 whole years! Is that a new record? The OP hasn't posted again on City Data since March 30th, 2006. It would be interesting to hear where she ended up, but I suspect we'll never know.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacque View Post
Moving to Raleigh from WA state.
Good luck with that.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,977 times
Hi Aurabella,

There is no place like home is there? I know your family is thrilled that you are coming home and cannot wait for you to get there. I too am a single female and have lived in the Raleigh area since 1978. I have seen the area grow.
I think every town big and small has areas that are not ideal and I want you to definitely be careful and thorough. Overall the triangle and surrounding areas are filled with good people looking for the same thing------a good life. Having lived here for many years and seeing the diversity grow and grow has made us a better place to live. Since 85 I have specialized in the relocation process from every angle to make it hassle free process for anyone from any country. The decision to move is a big one & you have made a good one. I think the heart has confirmed that for you. I am a real estate agent that believes in accountability and being a partner. Let me know know I can help make the total process easier from analyzing the mover to the inspector if you buy.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
The original post is 3 years old.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The original post is 3 years old.
Yeah. The OP has already re-fied twice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary