Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:35 AM

87 posts, read 361,045 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am seeking horse property in the traingle area in the 300-350K price range...just enough acerage to have 2/3 horses and in a horse friendly neighborhood. I have children ages 6 and 11 so being around other families important. I hate being isolated and off in the boonies with out anyone around. Any suggestions on horse friendly neighborhoods? Location is important and schools...this will be a investment for us. I am originally from NY (Long Island & Weschester area) but currently living on Cape Cod. I do not want to be a fish out of water...so I love transplants! As you can see I am nervous about moving.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Black Horse Run in North Raleigh allows horses, although I don't know if they will let you have 2/3. This is a nice older neighborhood (built ~1980) in a great location with homes in your price range.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,199 times
Given your modest price range for a horse property, you might look around Harnett County (south of Raleigh) in towns such as Angier. I think I just saw something in your range here: Real Estate (http://www.nchorsenews.com/realest.htm - broken link)

You might also like to get ideas from the message board NC Horse News serves horse owners across the state of North Carolina

Central and western Chatham County is also a possibility. This is a cute farm for sale about 10 minutes from the town of Pittsboro: REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

On the northside of the triangle, look into northern Granville County and Person County. This will be more rural and farther from employment opportunities. On the east side, look into Johnston county.

There will not be many options in Orange, Durham or Wake county for a ready to go horse property in this price range. You might be able to find something with 4-6 acres that could be turned into a horse property with work + land clearing. If you are looking for an equestrian development, you will need to up your price range. There are some equestrian developments in Harnett and Chatham. Black Horse Run in Raleigh and Durham is more of a development with a community horse barn, than a development of small horse properties.

Depending on where you will be working, you might look into Lee County. It is in between Chatham/Wake and Moore County (home of Pinehurst). It's a horsey area and is within commuting distance to Chapel Hill and possibly Raleigh. Prices are better than in Moore or Wake. The county seat is Sanford, so could search on that and see what comes up.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM

It is quite possible in the triangle to have a horse farm and still be within a reasonable commute of a town/city (at least if you have the $$. Fewer $$=longer commute). I live on acreage in a rural portion of Orange County, but easily commute to Chapel Hill or Durham. There are so many transplants in the greater triangle area that you will inevitably meet people from all over the country (as well as a few North Carolinians!).

Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Orange County has at least one community built around a stable (the Trails, just west of Chapel Hill) in your price range. Also lots of horse farms and potential properties in Orange County, Northern Durham County and Chatham County, but the Trails is the only neighborhood I can think of.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Orange County has at least one community built around a stable (the Trails, just west of Chapel Hill) in your price range. Also lots of horse farms and potential properties in Orange County, Northern Durham County and Chatham County, but the Trails is the only neighborhood I can think of.
Note: The Trails community does not include equestrian properties (most homes are on less than an acre or so of wooded land), but it is adjacent to a large Quarter Horse show barn (which offers some boarding, I think).

Clayton is a good suggestion for areas to check out. It has really grown, but still has some country left.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 12,598 times
Exclamation Horse Property Wake Hasentree Falls Lake Steel Concrete Building Ranch Home 4.46 Acres

Stony Hill Road, Wake Forest property across from Hasentree upper golf course entrance. No subdivision restrictions. Was previously a horse buisness.

4.46 Acres, Brick Ranch, Steel Concrete Building, separate roads, wells, septics.
Over 400 feet of road frontage.

Jack Geenty 919.345.3873

Property has mature trees, and is mostly grass that I mow with a large riding mower. It has aprox. 400 feet of road frontage on Stony Hill Road and another 400 foot road that runs along the North property border leading up to the Steel Building. There are two areas of black wooden pressure treated fencing facing Stony Hill Rd. Located on uphill side of road.

Steel Building 60x60 (5 years old) with attached 110x60 Courtyard or put roof back on and have a 60x170 building. Was previously and Indoor Riding arena. 7 foot concrete walls have been reinforced with steel and concrete and capped ready for new roof to bee installed. It is tall enough to have a second floor. Could be converted to a Church, Storage Building, Work Shop, Body Shop, RV Storage, Boat Storage, Car Storage, or private home Buisness.

Brick Ranch is an older home that needs the interior remodeled. Over the past ten years I have had these items installed: Roof, energy efficient Windows and gas furnace, attic and floor insulation, upgraded incomming electrical service and breaker box, and a new concrete septic tank and leach field.

Property is bordered on two sides by Stony Hill Bapist Church. I believe two acres of woods that the church owns along the upper border behind the Steel/concrete building cannot be built on and have a copy of a leter from the church describing the agreement with the county. (Excellent neighbors by the way!)

I am open to offers and would consider taking a smaller home or rental as partial trade in.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Where we live in Clayton (Archer Lodge) we're in a subdivision surrounded by pasture and farms. Many of the folks around here have 2-3 horses. Not IN our S/D but around us.

Lauren

Old 06-28-2008, 12:03 PM

106 posts, read 344,132 times
I'm not sure about having 2-3 horses but I know it has a equestrian center, and fully staffed stables, the SD is about 260 homes in Clayton, Johnston County on 42east in Flowers Plantation it's called Portofino. I hope this helps

Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

87 posts, read 361,045 times
Lauren,

I am coming to NC soon and Clayton is on my list to go check out...You mentioned horse properties around your S/D...are they in another development next to you?

Or would you know of any developments/S/D that have either a common barn for the neighborhood to use or maybe just able to have horses on their own property?

P.S. How do you like living in Clayton? I heard schools good...

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary