Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

I know that most people here say that they get Earthlink high speed internet for around $20/month, but when I go to their websites, I only see an introductory offer for $29 and long term price of $41 (at speeds higher than I really need).

I currently have TWC basic internet and pay about $24/moth. They continue to **** me off with bad service, so I was hoping to make the switch.

Latest call, I had to give TWC my phone number four times, my zip code at least four times, I lost track of how many times I had to tell them I speak English, and I was transferred from on department, to another, back to the original, and back to the other, taking 29 minutes to give me a like of [self-sensored] about why they are so great...

Anyway, sorry to vent (I needed that!). Can anyone give me details on how they are getting high speed internet from Earthlink for a comparable or better price. (EG: Who do I call, or what website)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
The $29 intro cost for DSL is as low as it gets, I believe. I am surprised by the long-term $41 price. I think the highest we've gone is $35. And our DSL speed is fine.

We tried other options earlier this year; they were nightmares, and we stayed with Earthlink. We've been with them (starting out with Mindspring before Earthlink took it over) since 1993, and we've had no problems.

I am afraid of TWC and hope never to do business with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I know that most people here say that they get Earthlink high speed internet for around $20/month, but when I go to their websites, I only see an introductory offer for $29 and long term price of $41 (at speeds higher than I really need).

I currently have TWC basic internet and pay about $24/moth. They continue to **** me off with bad service, so I was hoping to make the switch.

Latest call, I had to give TWC my phone number four times, my zip code at least four times, I lost track of how many times I had to tell them I speak English, and I was transferred from on department, to another, back to the original, and back to the other, taking 29 minutes to give me a like of [self-sensored] about why they are so great...

Anyway, sorry to vent (I needed that!). Can anyone give me details on how they are getting high speed internet from Earthlink for a comparable or better price. (EG: Who do I call, or what website)

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM

545 posts, read 1,605,315 times
Thanks OP for asking about this as I am interested, too. Whoever posts about it, could you please include info about the modem? Do they charge monthly like TWC, or can you buy your own?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 35,937 times
I recently switched to Earthlink. The transition from TWC was seemless. No swapping modems, no technician to come to home, nothing. I did not even know the connection was switched until I called them about the status the next day of ordering. Lastly, there is NO modem fee. You can keep the same modem with no extra fee that TWC charges

BTW, I pay $29.95 for the first 6 months. Speed is same as TWC - don't see a difference

Last edited by HereNThere; 03-04-2013 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Added price

Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
I recently switched to Earthlink. The transition from TWC was seemless. No swapping modems, no technician to come to home, nothing. I did not even know the connection was switched until I called them about the status the next day of ordering. Lastly, there is NO modem fee. You can keep the same modem with no extra fee that TWC charges

BTW, I pay $29.95 for the first 6 months. Speed is same as TWC - don't see a difference
Thanks, so do you just call the toll-free number on Home - EarthLink Mobile, or is there another option?

TWC is $24 and change, including taxes, and modem fee. I think it's something like 1.5 or 3.0 mbps, but whatever it is, netflix, youtube, email, and my MagicJack all run fine on it, so it's enough...

If the price is $5 more for 6 months, and then $17 more per month after that, I'll swallow my pride and keep TWC.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
We've always had great internet service from TWC.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,280 times
I have earthlink and it's the exact deal you described. $29 intro, and then $41 after that. I've been on it for around 10 years and the rate doesn't change. There is no modem fee (as of yet). It is cable internet though, at 15 mbps, and it uses TWCs infrastructure and is maintained, serviced and billed by TWC. So, if you have an issue you call TWC support. Fortunately I have had very few issues, but when I have it's been the same headache everyone else has with TWC support.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
Thanks OP for asking about this as I am interested, too. Whoever posts about it, could you please include info about the modem? Do they charge monthly like TWC, or can you buy your own?
When TWC started to charge its customers for equipment necessary to connect to the service they were paying for, I went to NewEgg and bought a modem listed from TWC's website (with TWC's directions on how to buy one).

I got the modem, hooked it up, called TWC's listed number, and had my modem working in under 10 minutes. It was $48 plus tax, so it has a one-year break even point, but I turned in my six-year old - and suddenly valuable to TWC - modem.

I recommend everyone do the same, rather than allow such a gratuitous money grab by a near monopoly. Keep TWC out of your wallet and let it drown in returned modems.

TWC's "buy it yourself or we'll just bilk you" modem page - http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...our-modem.html

I had a Motorola SB5101 and bought a SB5101U - you'd never know the difference if you weren't looking at your monthly bill.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I have earthlink and it's the exact deal you described. $29 intro, and then $41 after that. I've been on it for around 10 years and the rate doesn't change. There is no modem fee (as of yet). It is cable internet though, at 15 mbps, and it uses TWCs infrastructure and is maintained, serviced and billed by TWC. So, if you have an issue you call TWC support. Fortunately I have had very few issues, but when I have it's been the same headache everyone else has with TWC support.
We pay $35.95 a month for DSL high-speed from Earthlink.

It has changed over the years.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 25,895 times
today i called earthlink and spoke to a very nice lady named Jamie she was very helpfull. i have been trying to get internet on my laptop. i just need it for my laptop. i dont have a phone line are cable i just moved to this place, and live on ssi so cant afford alot right now. but need internet cause im trying to go to school. anyway Jamie found me a plan for me that i can afford. and later when my finances are better i can get phone and are cable. now i just wait 7 to 10 days to get everything i need so i can have internet. Jamie if you read this thanks agein. you were so helpful and your very good at your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary