Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times

Advertisements

Just curious, anyone who has considered or got a countertop made of concrete how it effected your home's resale. We are thinking of doing it, I love that dark stained polished look, but wonder if it will negatively detract from the house when it comes time to sell.

Of course, it's personal preference, but I would assume granite would help sell (assuming it's not pink!)) vs el cheapo laminate...just wondering where concrete lands in there.

EDIT: House is around 175k, open concept but needs updating 2005 construction

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-06-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,174 times
I would much rather have concrete than granite, and have looked into it a little bit, and it seems like it's a bit more expensive and harder to come by. Do you know a local installer? If so please post it or DM me, thanks!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
I am selling too, and I think the smartest move is to look at the new model houses and make changes in that
direction.. The new construction decoraters are watching the buyers preferences very close..

If they go with granite, natural tiles, neutral colors so am I. They are using new/deeper & more interesting
colors on the walls now..

It's easy to go online and search the realty sites for new homes & look at the photos to see the colors/materials & decor.

How soon are you seling??
That would make a difference for me on whether I did what will resell or what
I prefered.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I think if you're selling soon and your house is anything but a "modern" style, you might want to stick with granite. There are so many varieties. You can buy it in styles that resemble concrete, if you like.

Also, look at homes in higher price brackets. They usually debut more cutting edge stuff in model homes at higher price ranges. Look at several from different builders.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 PM

170 posts, read 362,980 times

we moved into our house last August. We did an unhoned granite. I think it is unhoned anyway. Its not polished which makes it look more like stone. I put a picture above for you to look at. I dont know if it will show.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:16 PM

I should also say my house is in the 175k range

Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I would much rather have concrete than granite, and have looked into it a little bit, and it seems like it's a bit more expensive and harder to come by. Do you know a local installer? If so please post it or DM me, thanks!
I don't know a local installer, haven't gotten to that point yet...if I end up doing it I'll post back!

One thing I like over granite, is the concrete's ability to be custom...

Google "Concrete countertop drain" and look at the images, they have a built in drain for washing dishes, that is pretty cool.

Check these pictures out

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...s-trivets.html

Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I think if you're selling soon and your house is anything but a "modern" style, you might want to stick with granite. There are so many varieties. You can buy it in styles that resemble concrete, if you like.

I agree. It's weird to me when you see a house with an ultra-modern finish and the rest of the house doesn't fit it.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I don't know a local installer, haven't gotten to that point yet...if I end up doing it I'll post back!

One thing I like over granite, is the concrete's ability to be custom...

Google "Concrete countertop drain" and look at the images, they have a built in drain for washing dishes, that is pretty cool.

Check these pictures out

Drainboards and Trivets for Concrete Countertops - The Concrete Network
Eh, that sort of thing doesn't appeal to me - way too permanent. I can't see giving up that much counter space permanently. When I have people over I can throw my dish drainer under the counter and be done with it. And I seem to remember when I did Silestone in my NY house you could have the same thing done. Along with trivets, cutting boards, outlet plates, ad nauseum.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree. It's weird to me when you see a house with an ultra-modern finish and the rest of the house doesn't fit it.
Yeah. It's bad enough that pretty much all houses here lately are "transitional" because nobody knows what to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary