Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Triangle area in July to start a job at UNC-Chapel Hill in order finish my doctoral studies. I'm a single, 26-year-old female, and would love to find a vibrant area with other young professionals (not simply undergraduates).

I will be moving from Louisville, KY, where I loved the independent vibe, local restaurants, craft beers, walking parks, etc. Though I'm interested in living around other young professionals, I would not enjoy living in an area in which everyone is married by the time they are 23, and, therefore, all those my age have kids and white picket fences.

Based on previous posts, it seems as if Carrboro or downtown Raleigh could be good options. However, I'm not sure if I want to make the drive from Raleigh to UNC each day. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this!

Where would you want to live if you were a young, single, educated, heterosexual, liberal female moving to NC without knowing a single person in the area??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
You definitely DON'T want to make the drive from Raleigh. There are plenty of people your age in both Chapel Hill and Carrboro and I don't think there are many of them who are married at 23. There are a lot of grad students at UNC in many different depts, so you'll have lots of company in town.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFartherEast View Post
I will be moving to the Triangle area in July to start a job at UNC-Chapel Hill in order finish my doctoral studies. I'm a single, 26-year-old female, and would love to find a vibrant area with other young professionals (not simply undergraduates).

I will be moving from Louisville, KY, where I loved the independent vibe, local restaurants, craft beers, walking parks, etc. Though I'm interested in living around other young professionals, I would not enjoy living in an area in which everyone is married by the time they are 23, and, therefore, all those my age have kids and white picket fences.

Based on previous posts, it seems as if Carrboro or downtown Raleigh could be good options. However, I'm not sure if I want to make the drive from Raleigh to UNC each day. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this!

Where would you want to live if you were a young, single, educated, heterosexual, liberal female moving to NC without knowing a single person in the area??

Thanks!!
Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Durham near downtown would all give you the kind of vibe you sound like you're looking for. Raleigh would, too, but at the price of a longer commute.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Carrboro, Chapel Hill or Durham near downtown would all give you the kind of vibe you sound like you're looking for. Raleigh would, too, but at the price of a longer commute.
^^ What he said.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Yes, I commuted from Raleigh to CH both for bgraduate school (in the 1990s, when traffic wasn't nearly what it is now) and for a job (in 2004-05, when it was much worse--but still not what it is now) and I lived on the Chapel Hill side of Raleigh (closer than downtown) and would not recommend doing that. Parking in CH is ridiculous. Even though the town has free buses, as a student, you have to park so far away from campus, it's a big hassle (and even the "remote" lots sometimes fill up, leaving you with nowhere to go except the mall).

Carrboro is a haven for graduate students, and a really cool place while being cheaper than Chapel Hill proper.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Francois I'm not sure that Carrboro is any cheaper than CH. I think they're about the same for rentals and home buying, but I do agree it has the kind of vibe the OP described.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM

60 posts, read 188,924 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
Where would I want to live if I was you? New York City.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM

650 posts, read 929,953 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
I live in Raleigh but do a lot of technical work in Chapel Hill and Carboro. Personally I would recommend the Meadowmont area. Very mature and away from the beer bong parties. Very close and has a small village appeal. It might be expensive, but I don't know.

super

Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,372 times
Great! Thanks, guys.
I think I'm leaning toward Carrboro or Downtown Durham. What would you say are the Pros/Cons, or even just differences, between the two??

Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM

I would do Carrboro if you're going to be in grad school. I like Durham just fine, but I wouldn't want that drive to UNC from Durham. You can walk to UNC from Carrboro or take the bus which is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary