U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,429,487 times

Advertisements

They are both close enough to each other you could visit both on your trip. I guess it just depends on how long you'll be down there. tl;dr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,228,872 times
I have been both places many times. If we're taking the littler kids (12/14) we do Wilmington or even Topsail. When it is DH and I and possibly the oldest (19) we go to MB. I love MB, but it is a money drain with kids, plus unless you want to stay in your hotel after dark, there is more mature culture that takes over the pavillion area. My (then) 16yo couldn't walk to the arcade without people wanting to sell him 'party favors'.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 9,264 times
We were bored in Wilmington. The Battleship was fun but after that we couldn't really find much more to do. We walked downtown but it seemed to be full of restaurants and bars only..... We left thinking we must have missed something.

We liked Myrtle Beach. We went off season and spent time at Broadway and Barefoot Landing. Our child had a good time and looks forward to going back.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM

23 posts, read 19,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Honky tonk is a bar where live music is played...Country music

Sounds good to me!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM

61 posts, read 41,738 times
Just wanted to point out that April is when many kids across the country are on Spring Break and many end up in Myrtle Beach. I would recommend booking rooms soon, and anticipate lots of people, though not as bad as in the summer. Wilmington is nice, been there many times, but my kids don't really consider it a "fun" place to vacation. I recommend you do both places. Most kids would love MB. Have you considered a trip to the Charleston area instead? It is 5 hours from Raleigh and has the beaches, 3 county water parks and is a great place to explore history. It has been declared number one tourist spot in country on several occasions.
Conde Nast declares Charleston top tourist city in the world – The Post and Courier

Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM

1,399 posts, read 626,236 times
I would also agree with Myrtle Beach as well.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLoanOfficer View Post
Myrtle has more things to do but is also a longer drive...maybe 5.5 hours where Wrightsville Beach is 2.5 hours.
Myrtle Beach is just 3 hours from Raleigh. You can reach Charleston in 4.5 hours from Raleigh.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 1,268 times
Carolina Beach! down the road from Wilmington, Kure Beach, Fort Fisher Aquarium, good places to eat, you can take lunch or dinner cruises, it's friendly and clean!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,423,932 times
I grew up in and around both Wilmington/Carolina Beach and Myrtle Beach. I think both have lots to offer for vacations and visits. And they are close enough that you can stay in one, and do a day trip to the other. You won't find huge resorts with indoor water parks at the Wilmington area beaches. So if you're going in the off season, I'd suggest Myrtle. But there's a LOT to do and see all the way from Topsail Island NC down to Murrell's Inlet SC.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM

206 posts, read 148,583 times
Is Tweetsie Railroad still in business? That was a great place to go when I was a kid. We went to Wilimington also, to see the battleship. That was really fun for a 10 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary