Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM

12 posts, read 54,206 times

Advertisements

hi everyone! this may be a long shot, but for the past few days OTA abc11 has been missing from my line up and i can't figure out why. i thought it might be the little bit of wind we've had a few days ago as sometimes this makes my other channels spotty, but 11.1, 11.2, and 11.3 have just disappeared all together. i have not changed the location of my antenna from when 11 came in clear. since disappearing, i have moved the antenna all around and i have rescanned the channels with no change. i can manually enter the channels, but just get "no signal". btw i just have a digital ready tv and separate antenna (= no converter box and no cable) and i live in cary. thanks for any help or thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
I don't have any thoughts on why it might be happening, but I can confirm that the OTA abc channels are coming in fine for me in Durham (which should be farther away from the tower than where you are).

Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Run auto program on your tv set.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
yes! Same thing happened, did what underPSI suggested and now working fine.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Seems like the OP already did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab77 View Post
i have rescanned the channels with no change.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM

thanks for the responses. yup, i sure did rescan already and nothing changed. it's just kinda weird to have a channel one minute and then gone the next! i'll keep fiddling with it and see if i can get it back.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
They list this tip on their website:

Possible DTV fix from the FCC:
"Double Re-Scan" your box following the instructions below.

Many consumers already know about the need to run the "scan" function on their digital converter boxes or digital TV sets periodically following the June 12 digital TV transition. Scanning searches for and "remembers" the available digital broadcast channels.

But in some cases where stations moved their digital frequencies on June 12, simple scanning may not be enough. There is a procedure - sometimes called "double rescanning" - that can clear your box's memory of saved channels. These earlier scans may have saved channel information that is now incorrect.

There are five simple steps to a double rescan for a converter box or digital TV, which are as follows:
  1. Disconnect the antenna from the box or digital TV.
  2. Rescan the box or digital TV without the antenna connected. As with any scan follow the on-screen instructions or owner's manual for your device.
  3. Unplug the box or digital TV from the electrical outlet for at least one minute.
  4. Reconnect the antenna to the box or digital TV and plug the unit into the electrical outlet.
  5. Rescan the box or digital TV one more time.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM

826 posts, read 1,931,989 times
We had this happen with NBC a while ago on just a couple of our TV's. Hubby rescanned several times to no avail. But the signal came back a couple days later with no other intervention on our part. It will probably come back soon.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM

thanks CHTransplant, i will definitely try the "double re-scan". i was going to try a whole reboot if you will of unplugging everything and starting over but this sounds more technical, so it's gotta work!

and we aren't big tv people anyways, so the wait and see approach is going to be what happens if all else fails.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
The double rescan sounds really hokey, doesn't it? Kind of like when you call tech support and they ask you to reboot a half-dozen times and tell you that somehow that automagically fixes things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary